Mission Point with The Master

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Creek, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,415
    Made a short trek to Mission Point this morning with my dear friend and mentor, Richard. He hasn't been out on the water since this Covid krap took over. Glad he made it out today.

Got in to a comfortable 70 degree water temp. Skies were overcast, but not really humid. Slight breeze out of the SW and an incoming tide was just beginning. There were only a couple of dudes working ghost shrimp pumps when we got in. No one else around.. enjoy it now because in an hour the calm will start turning to chaos. And right on queue.

But it allowed us time to kick to the point and scour the ledges there with Olive Clousers and Root Beer Crazydad combos. Took two infant halibut on the way out, and another something that pulled line and kicked loose just before hitting the backing. Typical for me. I wasn't doing anything wrong, it just is what it is. Same thing happened to Richard. He took a runner for several beautiful seconds, but it coughed and threw the spike, too. Kicked back into the basin and ran the boats from very north back to launch point. We seemed to get alot of species today.. not the usual boatload of Spotties that were used to. Halibut, Sand bass, Calicos, Spotties, a baby Smelt, YF Croaker, a foul-hooked Butterfly Ray, and who knows what the two lost speed-runners were.

I think we only caught 30 between us in three hours, with another couple of dozen lost fish due to lack of paying attention. Richard took all of the larger models (Hali, YFC and a really nice Spottie), and I fooled all the juveniles. We did more catching up than fishing. Good to have Richard back in the mix. Doesn't matter how long I've been under his tutelage, there's always more to learn. And I find myself lost sometimes marveling at the things he does when searching out quarry. Pretty amazing flyfisherman and I'm very lucky to have him as my mentor.

So that's pretty much the report. 3 hours of fun, some decent fish, some really decent runs and hook-throws, and really nice, calm water the entire morning. The sand was ridiculously busy with people when we arrived back at the launch. Tons of people on all kinds of watercraft.. kayaks, paddleboards, blow-up everythings, etc. We were out, they were coming in. Couldn't have timed it any better. Enjoy a few pics. Didn't really have a mind to take pics today, but I did for one of the members on here that I've been taking under my own with the last week or so. She kinda baited me into the report by mentioning in a text message that she couldn't wait to see how we did.. so this report is pretty much for her as a taste of whats to come when she finally gets out.. I dont want to say publicly when or where that will be, but it will be soon.

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    5.jpg
    6.jpg
    7.jpg
    8.jpg
    9.jpg
    10.jpg
    11.jpg
    12.jpg
    13.jpg
    14.jpg

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +48,499
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Nice fish as usual, Creek , that bendo shot is cool. I bet a wham bait would do great in there... Hahaha.. I always fished GS and strip bait in that place, even caught a soupfin shark in there one day, there was a shock for sure. Not a huge one, but big enough. A couple angels too...

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,221
    It's been awhile since you've reported from MP. Seems like the fishing has picked up since your last report of it being dead, but I know you haven't been reporting your solo missions. Would you say it's back to your somewhat go-to spot?

4. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,415
    I love MP just because its pretty, the beach is always close by, boats dont fly-around in there, and the water is most always soft. If I had to choose a "home water," I'd take Mission Point. I like it because it's never a sure thing.. in fact it can be downright tough, and will often make people walk away scratching their heads or slitting their throats. I like that. I may get blown-out every now and then, but if I am, so is everyone else. Just one of those places that you really have to sit, think, and hit at just the right time.. so many different currents in that basin. Craig Smith was right about the currents.. the mix is many. Your float tube is going one direction and your line is going another. It's insane to imagine what goes on under the surface, but oh so fun once it all comes together.

5. i'dratherbef___ing

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,510
    Name:
    Armida
    I love this report! All day at work I was wondering when you were going to report : ) can't wait to fish :emoji_blush::emoji_fingers_crossed:

6. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,221
    I'm contemplating heading out this weekend, but during the summer it's always a toss up between tubing, or getting my butt kicked by corbina in the surf.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,866
    Nice

8. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,553
    nice variety.
    Funny how the species change. Soaking bait from shore, that area has more white seaperch than it has grains of sand....they go boom for a couple of years, then nearly disappear. Have you ever got one of those on the fly?

9. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,415
    No sir. No idea what one even looks like. Strangest things I've caught there were a gorgeous Mantis Shrimp and a few of those ugly-as-sin Midshipman fish.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Dry Fly Rie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,236
    Bust out the tube and kick around the bay. The surf has been really tough since the big swell came through over the weekend. My last 3 sessions on the beach where we’ve run into each other in the past have resulted in a total of one dink yellow fin croaker.

I might have to pump the tube up and give it a go soon.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  11. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,415
    I'd like to get to the surf just once this season.. I havent done it enough to know much of anything, but I need to go. I have a few fly recipes that Mike Perechinsky sent for me to "test" for him.

12. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +48,499
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I saw corbina in inches of water last night.. inches.. HMU for Intel before you go

13. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,415
    Well then, I guess you had better text me the location of said Beanage !!

14. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +48,499
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    N TP/S DM 07.09.20

15. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,087
    Have done well with Sz6 Merkins in creme/orange or pink I’ve picked up at TFS...

image.jpg

#15 Chriwilson, Jul 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  16. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,415
    Merkins work I hear ! Mike P sent me some weighted and unweighted flies that look exactly like sand crabs with row sacs. I'm blown away by how real they look. He also send me a few flies that are.. well.. Im not sure what exactly. They dont resemble much that Ive ever seen, but the claim is that some friend of his in LA swears they catch Corbina up there. If I can remember to, I'll take a pic and post it here for you.

17. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,087
    That friend in LA, is that Lino Jubilano? He’s been absolutely killing the surf with the fly

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,415
    Dont know what his name is.. I never asked.