mods can make a difference

Discussion in 'Lure Making & Customizing' started by spoonminnow, Mar 16, 2018.

1. spoonminnow

spoonminnow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +306
    All you need is a candle, some plastic lures and a bit of an imagination. Many of my stored plastics haven't done well since I bought them or worked only a few times of year. If a lure can't catch fish, it can't find fish.

When it comes to any lure design, what matters most is lure action(s). If a lure can not exhibit subtle movements on a the slowest of retrieves, I've found them to be limited in use. Some lures must move at a certain speed or the action part is dead in the water.

mys61zh.jpg
    The lures in the following two pictures show parts that were swapped between lures.
    yYQzshd.jpg

zh5sYjW.png

The lure at the top was the original right from the package. The two below I replaced the tails and last year they caught bass spring and summer.
    lNAnyf8.jpg

Candle or soft plastics glue.
    07Ybo8c.jpg

#1 spoonminnow, Mar 16, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  2. spoonminnow

Ratings:
    +306
    There are many reasons to modify lures and since most lures can be modified one may ask :
    are they more successful catching fish?

In my mind there are basic reasons fish react to lures that simulate life:
    1. something about a lure that's seen and felt by the lateral line triggers a strike
    2. fish try to kill objects moving a certain way - at least at - first until taste buds signal the yuk response and eject the object

Even in semi-clear water fish senses are capable of seeing and feeling real or artificial life. They have no way of knowing the difference between moving objects except that they move and look differently, some of which they only observe, some of which they attack

Some anglers believe fish ID a lure as some particular species of prey and if that floats your boat, fine. But different looking lures that move differently may still catch fish in the same area in the same hour. But what is it that separates the modified lures in the photos from each other yet makes them all equally capable of catching most species of fish?: a combination of lure action, shape, size and sometimes color.

Lure body and body part actions matters:
    The fine legs and tail quiver with the slightest lure movement, but so do the thicker, side flappers which add the most visual body part action and bigger profile. Time-in-place motion is extremely important at times when fish will not chase a lure and need that extra-subtle stimuli to provoke the killer to kill. The drop shot finesse technique uses a thin worm that stays horizontal to the line and quivers with the least forward motion of the sinker on bottom. A light jig does the same thing when rigged with soft plastic lure, feather or fur because it can be allowed to stay in the strike zone (once found using the lure), longer than say a floating crankbait.

Size matters:
    Modification also includes shortening lure length. Even and extra 1/2" may be to large for a fish to consider the object easy pickings. A thicker 3.5" French Fry may do much better if shortened to 1.5" and then rigged on a 1/32 or 1/16 oz ball head jig.

Profile matters:
    Adding a thin tail to a thicker grub body (top photo) gives the appearance of a more meatier target challenging a fish's space. To large a profile, same as length excess, may not provoke a suspended fish.

Color can matter:
    Any of the above may do fine using certain colors - the range being quite large. But light does things to color as does water clarity and the only way fish see a color's real hue is in clear water and in bright sunlight. Other than that, color brightness (contrast) contributes to lure profile and varying degrees of contrast may matter depending on background to the side or against the bottom.

Plastic softness matters:
    Take note of the cone tail grub in the photos. The design may seem lifeless, but the use of softer plastic that makes up the cone does wonders for the quiver that drives fish nuts! It definitely matter with most finesse or non-finesse worm designs: too little and the worms is nothing but a stick. Even Senko-like sticks must be of a certain softness to display tip quiver on the drop. Adding a soft part to a firm plastic part is fine as long as it's the tail that's soft.

Do yourself a favor and go through the hundreds of soft plastic baits you've owned and not used for decades. Get yourself a candle, (I also use a battery powered soldering gun to smooth the seam), chose parts of lures you think when combined will make something unique and fish provoking in action, melt the ends and hold together for 5 seconds. You never know when that combination will blow away most other lures you own.

Other than that, consider shortening a lure that has good action but fish are too finicky to attack.

#2 spoonminnow, Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  3. spoonminnow

Ratings:
    +306
    NyIp6QE.jpg

The tri-tail works great in some water but not all. The mod worked in all waters and for 5 species of fish including the cat fish.

I also used one Joker tail and added it to a grub body:
    hDdyb21.jpg

This Kut Tail Worm was chartreuse, so to add a bit of contrast I used Spike It dye on one side. Since the lure was to be used to catch fish in 1-3' of water, I rigged it on a 1/32 oz jig and man did it catch fish!!!

WWeOXnV.jpg Mqj78PE.jpg

4. spoonminnow

Ratings:
    +306
    1. A few more:
      I'm not a big fan of craw lures, so I found a use for their parts (like heavyduty did), tried the new ones and caught fish the first time!
      9liUKTg.jpg

The one on the right is the original:
      vorT63o.jpg
      multiquote_40b.png

2. The mold shown produces tails for different worms:
      byErBNI.jpg

pT5VyGP.jpg 63TffPi.jpg

Reducing the length of Slider Worms and reattaching the tail to the sac, made a big difference, the same as reducing the length of any finesse worm (IE Roboworm).

HoglHV8.png 6nz4in1.jpg

user-online.png

#4 spoonminnow, Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  5. spoonminnow

Ratings:
    +306
    DQUTZHC.jpg e4yzWdv.png

6. spoonminnow

Ratings:
    +306
    Quiver !
    Look closely at the above and those below modified lures and note the part or parts that quiver. Quiver is the one of the greatest fish provoking actions of any lure made. Other than quiver, any subtle action of a lure gets and holds a fish's attention and if it stares at the lure long enough, is often provoked to attack it - almost as if the object is trespassing in its zone of reverie where it is suspending. I believe that fish spends most of its life suspended, rarely going berserk attaching a school minnows or on the hunt like some lion.

Those of us that have punched jigs through heavy cover and caught bass know what I mean as quiver refers to that of the skirt once on bottom. Bass in heavy cover aren't waiting around expecting prey to plop down in front of them and a jig that's just plunked bottom is an instant object of interest, holding that interest by subtle skirt strand motion.

How many times have you caught bass in shallow water an watched the wake of a charging bass torpedo towards your surface lure? That bass was hanging out IMO.The great thing about suspending crankbaits it the subtle action you can apply with a simple rod twitch. Granted the action is a slight waddle & suspend, but that's all it takes sometimes for a bass to hit the lure as soon as it moves forward. The same floating lure does the same except creates subtle rings on the surface easily detected (tickling) the lateral line.(IE Rapala or popper)

Take everything above with a grain of salt based on your experience or lack of, but provoking fish to strike can be as easy as a simple twitch of the rod tip transmitted to a lure that irritates fish to strike by its design. The great majority of lures I own are limited by these features:
    1 time in the zone is too short because a faster retrieve speed is needed to get lure action
    2 at times action not subtle enough
    3 the wrong shape (profile), size or action for that design
    4 the plastic is too firm (as in the case of Senko-type sticks and finesse worms (don't expect the famous tip quiver on the drop)
    5 at times too much flash (blade too large) or lure too bright (fluorescent color)
    6 a color that may be too dark to display #3

#6 spoonminnow, Mar 31, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  7. spoonminnow

Ratings:
    +306
    Here are some others:
    Some more:
    %3A%2F%2Ftexasfishingforum.com%2Fforums%2Fpics%2Fusergals%2F2018%2F03%2Ffull-4706-207102-9liuktg.jpg %3A%2F%2Ftexasfishingforum.com%2Fforums%2Fpics%2Fusergals%2F2018%2F03%2Ffull-4706-207103-zarotf4.jpg
    %3A%2F%2Ftexasfishingforum.com%2Fforums%2Fpics%2Fusergals%2F2018%2F03%2Ffull-4706-207104-tbgxr2b.jpg %3A%2F%2Ftexasfishingforum.com%2Fforums%2Fpics%2Fusergals%2F2018%2F03%2Ffull-4706-207105-xjrac6y.jpg
    %3A%2F%2Ftexasfishingforum.com%2Fforums%2Fpics%2Fusergals%2F2018%2F03%2Ffull-4706-207106-6yogfyr.jpg %3A%2F%2Ftexasfishingforum.com%2Fforums%2Fpics%2Fusergals%2F2018%2F03%2Ffull-4706-207107-d0n1wfw.jpg %3A%2F%2Ftexasfishingforum.com%2Fforums%2Fpics%2Fusergals%2F2018%2F03%2Ffull-4706-207108-mfrkkbc.jpg %3A%2F%2Ftexasfishingforum.com%2Fforums%2Fpics%2Fusergals%2F2018%2F03%2Ffull-4706-207109-rcnpdb3.jpg %3A%2F%2Ftexasfishingforum.com%2Fforums%2Fpics%2Fusergals%2F2018%2F03%2Ffull-4706-207110-6t2bekm.jpg %3A%2F%2Ftexasfishingforum.com%2Fforums%2Fpics%2Fusergals%2F2018%2F03%2Ffull-4706-207119-ebypixm.jpg %3A%2F%2Ftexasfishingforum.com%2Fforums%2Fpics%2Fusergals%2F2018%2F03%2Ffull-4706-207113-k6mhll6.jpg %3A%2F%2Ftexasfishingforum.com%2Fforums%2Fpics%2Fusergals%2F2018%2F03%2Ffull-4706-207115-yv9fmgv.png
    %3A%2F%2Ftexasfishingforum.com%2Fforums%2Fpics%2Fusergals%2F2018%2F03%2Ffull-4706-207111-vort63o.jpg