Monday Sept 20 , La Jolla

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by William Ritchie, Sep 20, 2021.

1. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,272
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    In the water at 05:15 , South Shores , no other trailers in the lot . Smooth as glass , few boats . Hit a flat on the canyon off T.P. . Rockfish limits by 08:00 even a few larger Barber poles and a good sized salmon grouper in the mix with boat limit of Vermilions . Could not make live bait to save my *** . Went to inshore and lured a bunch of near legal Calicos for fun , NO Butts , my wife gave me a pass on the lack of Halibut . Glass conditions up and back 20 MPH in my skiff all the way . All in all a VERY good morning . Off the water at 11:00 . Conditions are great as far as the water goes 63 .5 F most everywhere other than the bay which was close to 70 F in the back areas IE the launch . Get out there while you can . Tight lines .WR

• Like Like x 23
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  2. cort

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +785
    Boat:
    ProAngler 14
    63.5? wow it's cooled down!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,272
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    cort Yah , cooler than one would like . Water was clean and not off color . One pod of white sides had us going for a while . Bait was very hard to find / catch even under the active pod . I did see Everinghams bait boats on their way back in dim light and the bait boat from Oside , I figure , was leaving when we hit the canyon area we frequently fish , they looked low in the water as did Buck's boats on their return trip . Not a lot of top water showing but it didn't seem to deter the rock fish @ around 250 Ft . Tight lines .

#3 William Ritchie, Sep 20, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  4. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,364
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Good intel here, thanks for helping me plan my Saturday. I may go play around La Jolla instead of heading offshore again. I haven't had much luck this season offshore looking for YT and dodos. I'm not into the bluefin thing much when going solo.

5. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,272
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Good luck out there , the lack of bird activity ETC was a bit frustrating as far as bait goes , citruspirate , had a good yak day at the same time as per the report but I am not aware of the location he fished . Seems like the wind picked up a little in the afternoon the last couple of days but shouldn't be a problem for most boats . My tin boat gets slammed around in the chop . Most don't target them but there were a couple of Makos , that showed off their airborne cartwheel skills at a distance . Have a good one hope you nail them . WR

6. Treble Chuck

Treble Chuck Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +289
    Name:
    Chuck
    Couple buddies and I are taking two tin boats out Friday. I’ll post a report if we don’t get too beat up, Oceanside to barn or tamarack.