Mono Vs Flouro Vs Braid

Discussion in 'Fishing Tackle' started by Kian.K, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Kian.K

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +502
    I've noticed that it seems like a majority of people here are using braid and I have a few questions.

I've used mono my whole life and never really had issues with it.

For the setup I posted about earlier for like saltwater Yellowtail, Tuna, and just general bait fishing I wanted to know if it's really worth it to use braid, or if I should just stick to mono because that's what i've always used.

And if so, what mono do you guys recommend in the 25-40 lb range for live bait or surface iron applications.

If not, what flouro/braid do you recommend and why.

Thanks,

-K

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +58,450
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Braid takes time to get used to. You will have lots of pulled hooks while you learn if you decide to go that route.. for mono, I like Ande and Izor lines.. pick one that works for you and stick with it

3. Chriwilson

Chriwilson I'm your Huckleberry ...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,735
    Boat:
    Nunya
    Another for Izorline mono
    I use XXX for 25 and up

Almost all of my reels are at least 80% braided line with a mono topshot of varying length depending on application.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Stephan Deambrogio

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +786
    Name:
    SDFishKid
    Boat:
    Yes
    Most of the time it's preference. Like werf said, braid does take some time to get used to, but it has a lot of advantages. If your going to be using braid for yellowtail, I recommend 45 or 65 pound braid to a 20-30 lb fluro carbon leader

5. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,735
    Boat:
    Nunya
    Depends on technique. FL is wasted here if you're YoYo'ing or even if you're on a dropper loop.
    Anytime you're fly-lining, FL's never a bad idea

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,343
    Name:
    Eric
    I like to back with braid, both for added capacity and to change out my topshot each trip without pulling all the line off. I usually put 100yds of mono atleast. Almost never see the braid backing. Fluro is definitly worth using for tuna, dont really need it for other fish unless you want it for abrasion resistance.
    So you don't really need braid at all unless you're trying to fish tuna with a "big bass reel" and cram capacity into a small spool.
    20-40# line will cover most stuff besides huge *** bluefin. On the spotties They will advise what lb line you should start with, listen to them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Gabemorales

Gabemorales KelpSnagger
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,486
    Name:
    Gabe
    I was in the same boat a few weeks ago man. I was braid all the way, then went fishing with Mr. William Ritchie and I asked why he uses mono (as I see a lot of the more successful and experienced guys using it over braid) simple answer was no knots on the guide tip, easier to cast in the wind, and the line actually sinks down. Idk what made it click in my head but I realized he was right. A week later, I bought some Izorline xxx and #NoRagrets. Threw it on my 200 and am loving it. Good line definitely makes a difference too. I’d say unless you’re bottom fishing or like Easy619 said fishing for some big boys on a lowpro/smaller reel/fishing the kelp beds, then go with mono. Cheaper, easier to work through a backlash (pretty much a pro with fixing a mono backlash since having used braid for so long lol), and you won’t pull hooks out as mentioned before. Fluro leaders for finicky fish and that’s about it. Stuff is overpriced and pretty much unnecessary imo. I use it for my Lucky Crafts and jetty fishing but that’s it. I’ve had the same spool for a while now.

To add, I also believe 40# mono is a standard for surface jigs. Correct me if I’m wrong, but that was the consensus from a lot of the research I had done.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,735
    Boat:
    Nunya
    Correct, it is the standard. I use a 100yd mono topshot for my jigstick.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Lord Pitmaster
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,203
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Big Metal One
    100 yard topshot of 40lb mono is the standard for surface irons. Casts better then braid all day long, don't let the LB guys fool you. Theres a reason you see pretty much all the full day captains using mono... and those guys are some of the best fisherman in town if not the best.

flyline.. casting distance of mono or flouro and then your backing. I stick to about 150 feet of mono and don't have issues with lack of stretch etc. flouro topshots make a difference on bluefin and your toothy apex visual predators. big bluefin, wahoo, the finnaky yellowfin. yellowtail don't seem to care.

kelp fishing... 65lb braid to short flouro topshots the way i fish.

10. Kian.K

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +502
    I ended up just going with 30lb Mono.

I've always used mono and never had any issues with it.

If I was going on a trip that targeted larger species i'd use 40 or a flouro leader.

But i've fished a bunch in Enenada and Los Cabos and those dudes literally catch everything except wahoo on straight mono. I think for wahoo they add a steel leader or something.