Morena 11/10

Discussion in 'Carp' started by MattL, Nov 11, 2018.

1. MattL

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,369
    Name:
    MattL
    Targeted carp at Morena for the first time yesterday. Wasn't quite the carp valhalla I was anticipating but managed to pull out a good day. Went with a friend, took us a few hours to figure out the pattern. Moved around to a few spots, then fished the rocky area next to the T-dock and started hooking up when we put our rigs close in, about 10-20 feet from shore.

Finally hooked into a carp and it was a nice one. My first mirror. Somewhere around 8 lbs. We caught about 5 after that, slow and steady pick. They seemed to be mostly oriented to submerged trees. Of course.

Most of them were extremely lethargic, to the point of a few of them literally not fighting at all. Wondering if the algae bloom is de-oxygenating the water. All carp released. Will post pics later.

2. Queue

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Boat:
    SR-18
    They’re unhealthy and overpopulated hence the lethargy

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. 123xyz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +329
    The carp fight OK when I catch them off the end of the T-Dock; at least I don't notice any lethargy.

4. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,632
    They die off in great numbers at certain times of the year. The water lacks oxygen. If it's going to be a puddle they need to help out. There are times of the year (they kinda all blur in my head so I can't remember when it's at it's worst) that the shores are lined with dead carp washing up on shore.