Morning session in La Jolla

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by newpebble, Jun 14, 2021.

1. newpebble

newpebble Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +91
    Name:
    Mike
    I have not posted much on here, but find myself reading the posts and advice on here fairly regular so here’s my contribution. ( and yes a caught one today). I moved back to La Jolla 3 yrs ago to assist my parents in their desire to stay in their home. I spent my childhood on the beaches of La Jolla. My brother and I were given hand lines on the sea wall at children’s pool when we were 6 and 8. I knew him as Frank. He fished the sea wall everyday, taught use to fish with hand lines, lots Opaleye on peas and he talk our mom into letting us hoop net at night with him for lobster. We would hoop net off the reef the sea wall was built on. There were no seals hanging out back then. First we would hand line for Moray eels as they would steal your bait. Frank started us fishing. My brother and him were close. Later my brother would take Frank fish on the overnight boats. Frank once showed up at our house with his granddaughter that was visiting from back east. He wanted my brother in his family.

Back to fishing today. I fish 3 to 4 mornings week maybe for a hour , unless the surf is good. I fish the reefs and small sand beach in La Jolla. I might be lazy but I tend to just fish drop shot with a grub or a fluke. I mainly catch bass, but get my share of other fish species with small 1 inch baits. I think the main reason I fish this way is it easier to fish weedless bait in not so clear water and still catch fish.
    Today I got 24 inch halibut on the drop shot with a 3 inch grub rigged weedless. I got to the first spot in La Jolla at 730 this morning. I look but it was solid kelp in the first 5 feet of water. Second spot was fishable in some spots with just eel grass and light kelp. The area I could fish was maybe a third of the beach, and it had a good reef structure with sand channels. With intent, I casted out onto the reef past the sand channel. I can feel my bait pull through the eelgrass on the reef and drop down to the sand channel. I slow reel, feeling the weight dragging in the sand and over the smaller rocks in the sand. When the line feels heavy from the grass building up I give it a good jerk and I am usually able clear the line and bait of the grass. I was slowly winding my bait in the sand and I felt the line getting heavy like grass was building up I a slow lift yep feels like grass, and then I felt a light tug. I just kept reeling slowly, it was a heavy but felt dead and then two more light tugs. I keep winding and saw color a few feet from shore, I just walked back 10 steps and the fish just slid up the beach. A quick measurement, still no tall lift or flop from the fish. It’s mouth was closed couldn’t see the grub or the hook. When I got the mouth open the hook just fell out. Never 5FD10985-321B-4B69-BB68-044B25CD09FD.png got stuck, no fight, no flopping.
    Such fun

A745EF2D-FEF5-44DE-A153-938D489C75A1.png

2. YNW_FISHY

YNW_FISHY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +325
    Name:
    YNWGEEZY
    Great work

3. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +58,428
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Looks like an awesome session

4. perch killer

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,727
    Nicely done, happy for you.

5. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,343
    Name:
    Eric
    Nice work, thanks for the report. I always love it when a lurker or non-active member goes active.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,386
    Liked the family story.. Nice fish as well....
    Butch

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,115
    Cool report and write up.. My aunt used to dive La Jolla cove in the mid 70s with a group of other divers on weekends, so my two cousins and I would hang out in the cove for a couple hours while they were diving. Super fun as kids to poke around in the tide pools and explore etc.. There were a couple of older Japanese men that fished off the cliff there almost every weekend and they always had a bucket half full of Opaleye Perch. A bag of frozen peas is all they used.. Cool old guys, they would let us pick up the fish from the bucket to check them out. It’s kind of a shame that kids these days don’t get to experience the way La Jolla cove used to be. Lots of creatures in those tide pools..

8. Chriwilson

Chriwilson I'm your Huckleberry ...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,734
    Boat:
    Nunya
    I miss the days my daughters used crab the tidepools after surf camp...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. YNW_FISHY

YNW_FISHY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +325
    Name:
    YNWGEEZY
    what setup doesone need to make fishing for opal eye fun? Ice rod setup?

10. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +58,428
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I have had them break me off on 15# mono...

11. MrDrew

MrDrew Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +391
    That's one lazy Hali! Great post, thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,115
    Definitely.. We would go poking our fingers into places we probably shouldn’t have, but that’s the excitement of it as a kid. Anemones ? Manemonies ? Lol. ( big ones that would close up on your finger ). Hours of fun in that cove, for sure..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. newpebble

Ratings:
    +91
    Name:
    Mike
    I bet we share some of the same tide pools. We use to catch sculpin and small opaleye in the tide pools off boomer. The ones full of fur bag S#%$& know. We had a 10 gallon fish tank. We haul salt water home and and pick mussel to feed them. After a month or so it was to much work so we took them back a released them. We were so lucky to grow up here.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,115
    Haa.. good stuff. I raised a 6” Largemouth in a 55 gal aquarium years ago.. I was single back then and had big parties at my little Adobe house on 11 acres. My drunk friends would **** with the Bass and feed it pizza, burrito meat, etc etc. I’m not sure how the little bastage survived but it did and grew to over 5 lbs. He was so big that he could no longer turn around in the tank, so I released him back into Dixon Lake. He looked like an Albino Bass after spending years in the tank. I remember watching him swim off and I watched this big white Bass slowly swim across the top of the water to the other side. I went up on the top road and could still see his white arse swimming away. Lol. ( wonder if he’s still there ).

15. newpebble

Ratings:
    +91
    Name:
    Mike
    I love story telling , especially fishy stories. The Great White Bass is still alive and well as the story is still being told. Keep fishing, any fish you release is always bigger the next time you tell the story.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List