Morrison Pond Fishing?

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by 619FishingFreak, Jan 25, 2009.

1. 619FishingFreak

619FishingFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1
    There is this pond i keep passing by, its on sweetwater road. i googled it and found out that it used to be a sand quarry. has anyone fished it before, yet are there any fish in that pond? on google it doesnt say anything about fishing. i might check it out if i get a chance to. please respond.

thanx

2. atfish

atfish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I drive by it too. Usually not much fish, but after these rains it would be worth a try.

3. fishindad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,419
    If Sweetwater ever spills over which may never happen being that it is only at about 50% capacity you will probably get some fish in there.That has not happend for quite a few years.Also check out your DFG regulations that state that fishing is Ileagal on the Sweetwater river below the Sweetwater Dam which would probably include Morrisons pond as it is part of the river.Used to fish it in my youth when I did not know any better.

4. wing man

wing man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1
    there is bass, try slow dragging plastics.
    just remember to CATCH AND RELEASE:laugh:

5. snoopie

snoopie New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Is this one on the way to Bonita next to the golf course? If it is, there are bass, catfish and bluegill in there... Expect it to be very hard to catch them, they are very picky.. hehe

6. 619FishingFreak

Ratings:
    +1
    thanx, so wait are you allowed to fish there or not? if so could you float tube

7. fishindad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,419
    Not according to DFG regulations sweetwater river below sweetwater dam is protected habitat.Look up the listing of rivers with special regulations it is in alphabetical order.

8. transplant

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +867
    Boat:
    My buddies
    I contacted the sweetwater people a few years ago and the said that it was ok for fishing. I tube it fairly often, which is the only way to fish it because of all the shoreline cover. I have never had any problems when I have tubed it either. They also told me that it is not stocked. Like others have said there are bass in there but they are fairly hard to come by. Flipping soft pastics into the reeds and submerged tree limbs works and if not try a weightless bass assassin near the edge of the reeds. I have never caught one over a pound or so but there are probably a couple bigger ones in there. The water is so dirty that it makes it difficult for the fish to see, its probably pretty polluted as well. If we could get them to clean it up and stock it Morrison would be a good little fishery.

9. snoopie

snoopie New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah you can fish it, I have came into contact by rangers and DFG, just have a CA license and your good.

10. fishindad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,419
    Its kind of like of like not wearing a seat belt.Some cops don`t care and some will write you a citation.Same thing with the DFG.Download the pdf file from the DFG regulations its in there.But your all Adults and can formulate your own opinions kind of like a drunk driver who claims to only have had a couple.

11. transplant

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +867
    Boat:
    My buddies
    If you contact sweetwater they will tell you that you can fish it.

12. snoopie

snoopie New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    If you cannot figure it out, might as well not even waste you time. It's a hobo polluted pond anyways.

13. fishindad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,419
    The Sweetwater Authority is in charge of Loveland and Sweetwater lakes only and not the rest of the river nor does it enforce any kind of state Fish and Game regulations.Sweetwater is not a State Agency but is a water agency who patrols its own lakes and Allows you to fish in their Lakes.Do your self a Favor and obtain Facts and download the PDF file of State Fish and Game regulations and look up the special Regulations of all rivers in California as they are in Alphabetical order.Fish it if you want but it is your risk if you don`t have the facts which DFG if they want will not give a hoot if you are aware of any regulations or not.Just trying to help people become aware so they are not suprised just in case they do get cited for Fishing Ilegally and decide to come and post on this board and whine how they got cited for Poaching.I never Knew till I actually took the time to read it maybe you should to as there are probably other Regulations that we may be breaking and with the Economic situation of Goverment Agencys the way they are citations are an easy way to Increase revenue.It won`t be Me getting a citation but it could be you due to lack of awareness or concern.;)Stick with Basket weaving.

14. chass1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +118
    put it this way i finaly realize why i barely caught any bass at all starting out. its cause i would fish morrisons pond alot. :lol: fun times with friends but until sweetwater over flows its a waste of time and money(tackle getting snagged) that place is a hell hole if you dont know were summerged cover is you will definatly go threw alot of baits. but i ocasionaly i will see someone slay on blue gill after hard rain.

15. snoopie

snoopie New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I rather go to eastlake and screw around there... Then waste my money and time at morrison

16. transplant

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +867
    Boat:
    My buddies
    just trying to help, did not mean to upset anyone. By the way basket weaving season is almost over, time flys so quickly :)

17. SDJEFF1

SDJEFF1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hahahahahha!

18. SDFishKidd

SDFishKidd Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2
    i caught a dead body in there once! :eek:hmy: :p

19. 619FishingFreak

Ratings:
    +1
    then where are the ponds in eastlake?

20. SDFishKidd

SDFishKidd Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2
    don't even try eastlake unless you want your rod taken away security is cracking down
    you need a residential i.d. card