Moving to the area - need advice

Discussion in 'Bass' started by Adrian81, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Adrian81

Adrian81 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Name:
    Adrian Gale
    Hi SD Fish community - I'm going to move moving down from the Bay Area in a few months. I've tailored my fishing style and gear to the delta so I'm bracing for a big change in style and tactics when I move down. I will be moving to South Orange county and figured I'll be fishing DVL, Perris, and Mission Viejo (if I can get access) before venturing further out. My question is around boating - currently I have a Tracker 190 that I keep on the Delta, and I also have a Wilderness Systems kayak (paddle) that I fish out of a lot.

Here's my question - should I bring my boat down??? It sounds silly but I figured I can get by with my kayak. I LOVE fishing the delta and honestly I'm anxious about the fishing down south and wonder if having a kayak alone is enough to get by on the smaller, calmer lakes. Keeping the boat with my friend in the Bay preserves the chance to fish the delta especially over the summer, if/when I can make it back.

Would love to get your thoughts about what vessels are needed and any advice for anyone who has made a similar move!

Adrian

2. MaskedFisherDUDE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +864
    I’ll chime in. Not much is living in Mission Viejo right now golden algee has it by the balls. They didn’t stock trout last year and probably won’t this year. As for the kayak or boat debate. I had a pro angler and could only fish the weekends and if I had a boat I would only be fishing out of it. If you’re interested in fishing the salt the kayak would be nice. DVL doesn’t allow sit on tops and Perris can be a zoo of wakeboard boats. I’d bring the boat.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. Adrian81

Adrian81 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Name:
    Adrian Gale
    Thanks MFD, great feedback! I won't try to live in Mission Viejo anymore just for the lake access! That's surprising and disappointing to hear about DVL's kayak policy. Would love to hear any more opinions from the group.

4. Kahuna bass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +927
    Boat:
    Warrior 208XRS bass
    Adrain81,

As MASKEDFISHERDUDE recommended, bring the boat down. It gives you much more options. When you need to head back to the Delta, moving the boat shouldn't be a problem.

It's all about the options!

Mel - Kahuna bass

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. Borderbasser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +389
    Bring the boat and yak, lots of options for both. I would say you should also invest in a float tube for the trifecta, there are a lot of places in OC and SD where it comes in handy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. crawdadguy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +914
    Id bring the boat..greater opportunities with it although some lakes have 4 stroke restrictions...(Skinner, DVL)

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  7. MaskedFisherDUDE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +864

It was a major reason I moved here. OC doesn’t have the fishing it once had. Better to move south.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  8. fishfanatic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,655
    Boat:
    Fishcat 4 Float tube
    My house is going up for sale, come take a look at my house here in north county:emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Our lakes aren't really all that calm down here. Nearly every afternoon can bring white caps to many of the lakes with the combined energy from pleasure boaters and the sea breeze. Perris in particular can get 20+mph sea "breezes." Boat? Do mind.

9. Adrian81

Adrian81 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Name:
    Adrian Gale
    Thank you all for the inputs! Looks like I’ll need to get a house with a place to put a boat :)

Hope to see you on the water and contribute more to the forum soon!

Adrian

10. bendopolo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +506
    You can wipe Mission Viejo off your list. It has been rendered fishless by Golden Algae. Every fish in the lake died. There have been attempts to re-stock but to no avail. It was bad enough that I sold my house there. You can add Puddingstone, Hodges, and Skinner Lakes to your list.

11. Jrod

Jrod Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Hey Adrian, welcome to SoCal. I live in Mission Viejo and agree that Lake MV is a nogo for fishing. Just want to give you my perspective. I remain hopeful that Lake MV can come back from the algae bloom like so many lakes have done....maybe I am just overly optimistic but have read that they really don't know why it comes and it usually goes away (meaning lakes that have had the algae bloom don't keep getting it every year) so keeping my fingers crossed. In the mean time, I store my boat there as it is a steal. I fish all of the great San Diego lakes and can get to them in a 1 - 1.5 hour drive. I often think that if I lived in SD that I could fish them more but have family here so not a possibility at this point. I can leave my house at 5am and have a great day fishing in SD and be home in time for dinner.

As far as bringing your boat or not, my advice would be to bring it. I have shore fished and rented for the past 2 years and it was OK. I just got a boat and it has opened up so much more opportunities for fishing spots and having the tackle shop on board has been fantastic (you can only fit so much stuff in your tackle bag). And I would add the electronics onboard and spot lock on Minn Kota trolling motor (versus anchor on boat rentals) have greatly increased my on-water fishing time and effectiveness. Also would mention the lake's boat rentals and fishing permits can add up. Ball-parking but think my buddy and I would pay around $80 for a boat for the day.

Good luck on your move and let us know how your SoCal fishing is going.

12. peripheral7

peripheral7 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45
    I would say definitely bring your boat. I rent boats since I don't have one right now and that's better than the shore obviously but the rentals suck compared to a real bass boat with a depth/fish finder and good trolling motor. and i'd bring the kayak - DVL use the boat - be more patient there - i've caught bigger bass there but less frequently than San Vincente, Skinner (can use kayak there too), Perris. Perris okay for kayaks if early morning before skiing and jetski fools get there.. but boat fine at Perris too. further north, since you'll be in OC, try Castiac (earlier is better again bc of party fools in mid-day and afternoon)by boat, same for Pyramid.. and Casitas is a nice lake further up in Ventura County but i've never had good luck there and that was veyr early morning- guys there told me jigs work better there for LMB so maybe that's why i didn't have luck bc i don't use jigs.. should add them.. i've done them all for day trips.. also there's Cachuma even further up but you're then talking maybe camping or staying overnight.. SDiego is lucky bc more lakes - so since OC isn't far you can get a lot of good fishing in down there.. worth getting up an hour or two earlier.. these guys on here are experts for the most part for info as you've prbly noticed..i'd use the yak at skinner and i think hodges was better for those too if i recall (smaller lake).. can't use either at wohlford - they make you rent - very small lake but kind of a nice change since no private bass boats and no skiing etc.. never tried otay.. el cap was decent when i used a boat there.. as noted DVL won't allow sit-on-tops... good luck.. you'll miss the delta fishing i bet but bass is good down in so cal lakes if you have a boat or yak.. otherwise, i miss GA, AL and FL - fished lakes there and Gulf of Mex growing up..caught way more bass.. i think it's just bc here there's more people - so over-fished.. so still can do ok esp in the spring.. american river sac river supposed to both great..