moving water

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Fins in the Bin, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +641
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    I fished the bay(solo) for the first time in a while since it was supposed to be blowing pretty hard outside the point this weekend.
    It is still summer fishing with the channel near Spanish landing showing 71 degrees on the FF, which is not usually too good for me.I started there around with no success even though I motored past some guys in float tubes and one was releasing a spotty. 2nd stop was in an area of about 12-15' of water with a good amount of current and had a few dinks but not the volume of bites I look for on my typical offerings. When i got into ledges where the water was about 30-40' the action started to get more consistent. The bait boats near Seaport village produced steady action and then the run over by Coronado was also very hot.
    It took 2.5 hours to get 20 bass and 1 short Halibut. I must admit, though I cheated to get the numbers, the current was so good that I left a paddle tail in the rod holder slowly swimming across the bottom and while it didn't out-fish the green gulp jerk that was the favorite of the day, it probably got 5-7 fish for me. I also ran out on Sunday to see how bad it was and got the crap kicked out of my back after about 4-6 miles and 1 big johnny bass, and angry seas.

• Like Like x 12
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  2. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,944
    Can't believe that no one bothered to reply to your post. Sounds like a pretty good day to me. How many places in the world can you drop a line in the water and catch 21 fish in 2.5 hours? Not saying there aren't some, but in the areas that are highly pressured (like SD Bay), it's not too common.

Thanks for taking the time to report. The channel ledges are usually pretty hot as they constitute structure (a pretty aggressive slope) that fish naturally gravitate to.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +641
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Yeah anytime I can get close to 20 near 2 hours in the bay is pretty good numbers in my book, and usually means I'll have to pay dues again soon with a skunk! I mainly wanted to share that they are probably going to stay deeper for a while until that shallow water cools a little bit.
    Your right about taking the big bay for granted Fomen, I had a 5 week job on Oahu this summer and fished the local reefs every weekend and many times after work. I figured fishing would be easy over there since they have so many fish everywhere and boy was I wrong. 75 percent of the reef fish are vegetarians.....I had to buy a speargun and shoot em or I would have starved! lol

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,944
    There are places on this planet where fish come to you! When I was a kid, I visited family in Gulf Shores, Alabama in 1993. The water is there during the summer months is 88 degrees. The sand is bleach white, and as fine as dust. There are zero waves. Just little 12-18" knee slappers. I brought my old school Shimano spinner and an entry level, light weight (2 piece) Shimano spinning pole. I tied a mosquito hook in a drop shot config to my leader, and used a 1/4oz split shot on the bottom. I took tiny pieces of squid and shrimp to bait the hook, and threw the bait into the water right where the waves were breaking (within 15-20' of where I was standing). I caught a fish EVERY CAST! At least a dozen different species. I'm not kidding.... EVERY CAST! I bet I caught 1000 fish in the five days I was there. I skipped meals and drinking because the fishing was so good!

But SD Bay is nothing to scoff at. When the Bay is hot, it is HOT! But even when it's not, I've never been skunked. I avoid days with crappy weather that make it impossible to keep my line on the bottom. Maybe that's why I haven't been skunked.

5. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +641
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Very cool!

6. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,241
    Although I can applaud your session, I have to be one on one with a fish. No long lining, no rod in holder trolling, just me against that little finned feck. If I did what you did, I’d have tons of 100 fish days. There are tournaments, and there’s fishing. I like fishing. Again not taking anything away from your sesh, glad you found the action. I miss tubing over there. If you go all the way to the back by the Sheraton, the fish get a bit bigger.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  7. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +641
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    I know, I don't do it often either cuz its cheating but at least I admitted it.......therapy.

8. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,978
    I had the same experience as you in Hawaii. My son is stationed at Pearl Harbor, and we stayed at his place in Honolulu for a week this past June. I fished all the local beaches and ship yards every morning thinking I would kill it ! Lol. Beautiful clear water with tons of aquarium type fish, but the predators were hard to come by. I caught 2 nice barracuda, a few wild looking lizard fish, and a hand full of trigger fish once I switched to bait fishing shrimp. My son catches goat fish at a spot on the base, but time ran short for us. Locals there use huge 12’-14’ custom jig sticks with 4/0 or Daiwa Sealine 40 reels spooled with 50lb mono. Double dropper with 6-8 oz of lead. Big chunk bait, or squid if they can’t make bait. Those guys can frikin launch a conventional ! Record distance type stuff. Anyway, ya, I thought it was going to school the locals Over there with the So Cal technique of bay fishing lol. Wrong...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,944
    Regarding "long lining", there is a time and a place for it. Paulfishes became the self taught, undisputed king of catching large halibut by long lining in the bay. He uses big bait, found the channel ledge, dropped down, motored a few hundred yards, and anchored. Then he slowly and methodically reeled the sardine back towards himself as the track of the retrieval followed the slope of the channel. He repetitiously caught HUGE halibut using this technique. often times several in one trip. So in my opinion, long lining isn't "cheating".

If you were competing in the SD Bay Bass Tournament, and the 1st place prize is thousands of dollars, are you going to shun long lining? Absolutely NOT! You're going to do everything in your power to catch as many fish as possible and keep the 5 heaviest.

I do understand as a sportsman, for recreational purposes and to challenge yourself that you like to fish one rod, and one bait. I also don't necessarily agree with dj thrillz regarding his confidence in having "tons of 100 fish days" by doing what you did. There are many days that I have done what you did, and not had 100 fish days. As a matter of fact, the 100 fish days I've had in the bay are able to be counted on 1 hand. And this is going back to 1993 when I fist started fishing in SD. 100 fish days are possible, but saying you could have tons of them by long lining seems like a gross overstatement IMO. You were long lining a swimbait and only had 2 rods in the water. If you caught 21 fish, and 5 of them were on the long lined swimbait, the average was 4.2 to 1 with the rod in your hand. That means to have a 100 fish day, you would have to catch 77 fish on the pole in your hands, and 23 on the long line. If it took you 2.5 hours to catch 21 fish, then it would take you just shy of 12 hours to catch 100 fish at the same rate. And lets be honest, that's just not going to happen. Over that time frame there will possibly be 2 tide swings, and two slack tides.

I'm not saying all this to start some sort of riff or debate. I just think it's a VERY bold statement to say that you would have tons of 100 fish days by simply dragging a swimbait behind you in addition to fishing a drop shot in your hand. Especially since the only evidence to support that is the confidence of the person saying it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +641
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Fomen, its all good, I don't take offense to what DJ said, he seems like hes pretty good at what he does and I've picked up good advice from his posts. I have extremely thick skin and i'm really not a "Bass" fisherman more of a "tuna/YT" guy who doesn't have much time to fish anymore so about 2-3 hours on most Saturday and Sunday AMs is what describes me better now. The point and bay also fit that narrative so I enjoy trying to figure out some of the tricks that some of you "bay" guys have learned over decades. I actually doubt I would ever fish long enough to get to 100, since like I said, i'm usually off the water by 10:00 am.

Thanks to all of you guys for the help along the way,

11. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,944
    If I came across as taking "offense" to what DJ said, then I failed in articulating myself properly. I too like DJ. I've never ever had a qualm, riff, or argument with him. I think he's a great guy! I just though that his statement about having tons of 100 fish days by simply dragging a swimbait behind on a 2nd rod while in drift seemed to be a very bold statement. There's a whole discussion dedicated on here to this topic. "100 SBB from the bay. Possible?" It's been viewed almost 36,000 times and had 115 replies. The consensus is it's possible, but not common. There are a lot of variables that go into this however. Like what is a "day". Is it an 8 hour period, or a 12+ hour period? Your chances of catching 100 fish in a day increases exponentially the longer you stay on the water. So you need to establish a standard for what constitutes a day.

However, I reiterate, I like DJ. He's a great guy and a great contributor to this forum.

12. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,900
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Fomen .. just saying, Roman Castro did it.. on camera.. and yes, I believe I could easily have a hundred bass day almost any time. 3$ worth of paxipa hooks and a couple spools of mustad Thor line, put a brick as weight every 150 yards with a balloon at the end.. longline knot a hook each meter and drag the baited hooks until they are all full, clean the line and repeat... Not so hard, use all non bass bycatch as bait...

13. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +641
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    That's some funny chit right there coach! Don't forget to drag em all up on the sidewalk to take their pictures too!

14. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,900
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Make sure you take 5 minutes to get photos of each one perfectly so they don't try to say you caught the same fish 142 times.. you can point out the spot pattern differences

15. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,598
    Roman did it in a kayak and if I recall it took him SIXTEEN HOURS. 6.25 fish per hour if my cipherin' is correct. That ain't bad. And he had some loong dry spells, so there were also some really hot bites. And some guys here have put up good numbers from shore at night w gulp baits. I don't think you can say if anyone just did x y or z he's gonna get a buncha hundred fish days....or even one. Now fishined and his friends did have it dialed in as far as a consistent bite and key spots and maybe time of day or tides too. But those really are secret. When Ahowler went along with Ed and later posted the straight poop, he had to go back and delete the info (mumbling something about waking up with a horse's head in his bed). The hundred fish "day" isn't a myth but it's no gimme either, no matter what technique you employ or how many Shorepounder events you organize. Which I appreciate btw...

16. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,900
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Let's face it, it could be made MUCH easier, especially with use of MANY hooks, chunk bait etc, for 10$ in parts and bait .. the reason it is so difficult is because we make it so, not because the fish aren't there or whatever, in my mind. Sure, a fly fisherman would have a harder time than a commercial longliner pulling the same numbers. Of f'ing course. No reason to cloud the reason tho, IMO

17. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,944
    So I guess the term "long lining" is ambiguous. I agree 100% with what CK said, but I also agree 100% with what you said Coach. If your interpretation of long lining is defined as what the old commercial fishermen used to use to catch hundreds of cowcod per drop, then yes, 100 fish days in the bay are definitely possible. But would you consider 1 swimbait on an extra rod dragging behind you longlining? Because that's what Fins in the Bin said he did, and that's what DJ said he could use to have tons of 100 fish days. This was his quote:

"If I did what you did, I’d have tons of 100 fish days. "

DJ never accused FITB of long lining. He just fired off a few techniques that he personally doesn't use, and long lining just happened to be one of them. I don't even think he was insinuating that FITB was long lining. I think he was simply stating that long lining isn't something that he support, endorses, or utilizes. But he did say that if he did what FITB was doing, he would have tons of 100 fish days. And that's what I wanted to focus in on. All FITB did was drag a single swimbait behind himself on an extra rod. And that's why I said although not impossible to have a 100 fish day doing this, HIGHLY unlikely. It would take good tides, and a LONG TIME on the water to accomplish this in a single day. The conditions would have to be very favorable.

When I brought in the term long lining, it was because FITB said it was cheating. And I just wanted to emphasize that the term is ambiguous, and there are types of long lining that fall under the definition that are highly successful and full accepted. Like what Paulfishes uses/used to target monster halibut.

Again, I want to reinforce that I'm not trying to start a riff or a debate. I just though it was a very bold statement to claim you would have tons of 100 fish days if you used 2 poles, 1 in hand (working the bait), and the other dragging a swimbait behind you. And so (based off of 26 years of personal experience fishing in the bay, with only 1 or 2 of those days) I challenged the notion.

18. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,900
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    You are probably right, Fomen (Plastics are NOT my area of expertise).. I just have always found it interesting when people get fired up about one technique or other.. if you really are going for numbers, no holds barred! Have a 500 fish day, by all means, or catch one on the fly, it's all the same to me. We are all in a different part of the journey, after all

19. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,241
    Surprised I was not tagged back into this to Give more .02. I have had many, I mean many 80+ fishing sessions on San Diego Bay, with one rod one cast at a time. I was out for hours and hours, but the numbers are true. If I would’ve had two lines, I’m pretty sure I would’ve cleared 100 with no problem. Now, when I said what I said, it was more of a sarcastic statement than anything, but with some seriousness to it. All off my actual 100+ fish days were either catching macks off OB pier, or were a total of 3-4 sessions in a day, but never in a single session. All of my sessions with over 60 bass were from a boat, shortest session being three hours. (Notable)I also have one surf fishing outing, 5 hours, with 78 perch.
    Back to long lining.... if I would’ve been long lining in the same areas I’ve had close to 100 fish outings, like I said it would’ve been cake. Fish counts are just numbers, and if that’s what the goal is, you’re into catching and not fishing. As previously mentioned, I enjoy the hunt for them, with a single rod and bait. No long lining two or even three rods, or using bs A-rigs. That’s me. But sarcasm aside, I would’ve easily cleared 100 multiple times. I know people who have(from shore even) more than once. Put yourself in the right place at the right time and you’ll be surprised how fast numbers get tallied, even without the intention of hitting big numbers. As I’ve grown into this passion, and put myself around other people who have great knowledge and are in the know, hitting bigger numbers became easier, especially in San Diego Bay. Friends with boats and sonar, a huge plus. Sum it all up, then you have to call an apple an apple. In other words, if I can almost do it several times with one rod, wouldn’t my comment seem more accurate knowing “what if I had two rods”? And to think what if I landed the ones that shook loose.... wouldn’t even need to long line, or do the spotty piscator rig.

That is all.