Mt. Palomar State Park Info Requested

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 5spot, Jan 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5spot

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +973
    Can anybody point to a good 1/2 to full day hike off the beaten bath around Palomar Mtn. Not really into a cattle drive hike with a million people. Anything else to see in the area? Trail names? Thanks in advance.

2. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,351
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Over the years I have scouted for hunting around Palomar . 2 trails that fit your description both have the trailhead in Dripping Springs campground off the 79 . . Dripping springs trail and Wild horse trail . The latter roughly follows Arroyo Seco Creek . These would be an out and back unless you can do 20 miles or do an overnight loop adding the Crosley and Magee- Palomar trails . Another out and back would be would be Barker Valley stub trail about a 6 mile out and back . Cleavland national forest map will help and if I remember these are in afoot and afield in San Diego if you have a copy . Nice way to spend a day or a couple different days . Add if you are adventurous in in good shape the Barker Valley trail has some cool falls and pools for swimming at times. Its the East fork of the San luis Rey river down below the trail , but there is some scrambling involved . Ah my younger days . WR

#2 William Ritchie, Jan 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  3. A-Train

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +888
    Name:
    Alex
    The wife and I went to Hellhole canyon a few weeks ago, we both liked it and only saw a few people.... or If you drive a little further you can do any section of the Pacific Crest Trail, it’s usually pretty quiet and has some epic sections. What’s cool about the PCT is you don’t have to turn around if you don’t want to, lol I hiked the entire thing in 2016 and it was by far the most badass 6 months of my life

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,351
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Was Angel hair falls flowing ? Cool canyon I have done work on the ABSP bighorn sheep counts out there in July . " It's a dry heat" . PCT start to finish is quite an accomplishment , have only had time to section hike it myself WR

#4 William Ritchie, Jan 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  5. A-Train

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +888
    Name:
    Alex
    We didn’t see any falls, but also had two toddlers with us so we couldn’t hike as far as we liked. Hopefully I get to do the PCT again with said toddlers when they are teenagers :emoji_fingers_crossed:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. citruspirate

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Name:
    Michael/Mike
    I was there in March and the falls was a little trickle haha.

Anza Borrego is a beautiful place. Definitely recommend going there if you've never been before.

7. citruspirate

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Name:
    Michael/Mike
    Sounds like paradise. Any idea how the mushroom foraging is there? I've had an itch that the San Diego climate cannot scratch ever since I left the east coast

8. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,351
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    I think you need to get ahold of some of the people in the San Diego Mycological Society and take a few trips with them . They do weekend excursions and could fill you in on the areas in the area that are available .

9. 5spot

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +973
    Morels and chanterelles. Need to get a bit higher, 2500 on up. Oaks and burn areas are good. I have not hunted there, but the word is they are there. Need moisture which this system moving through should provide.

10. citruspirate

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Name:
    Michael/Mike
    Oh man, I haven't had morel pasta in ages. Mmmmm...

I know what I'm doing next weekend