Murray, used to be cool...

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by that1guy, Mar 17, 2008.

1. that1guy

that1guy Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Was pondering earlier while fishin....

why do some lakes, that have millions of people walking and BBQing, rely solely on permit money??? Arent joggers, dog walkers, baby pushers, Bikers and BBQers occupying the same place and doing the same thing as a fishermen who is catch and realease, but for free...

ok, ok, Sooooo, I cast in "their water" with no intent on taking anything out but a smile, and im the one who has to pay?

meanwhile the the hotdog bun bag flies into a bush from out of a full trash can next to a woman and her kids that suffocate my space insisting my huddleston is a real fish (which the kid thinks im hurting by casting, and begins to cry). then there is the dog shizz (that is never scraped well) that mingles its way onto my shoes and skateboard. While the pee runs off towards the shoreline the poo slowly follows... Also, good luck finding a parking spot to fish the mid afternoon-dawn bite on the weekends... kinda funny, they go to the lake to run and get excercise, but get mad when the parking lots are full and have to park outside. I guess some of the scenery is better than the other parts....
    Whoever has been to murray could back the 20-1 car ratio ( non anglers->anglers)...

soooo would $1.50-$2.00 be too rediculous to pay for non fishermen?

also, I know this is crazy to say, maybe even think... A $2.50 permit for catch and release???

I dont know if this is happening at other lakes, but i think something should be changed..

when I was a kid, there used to be a concession stand that my dad and I would get chili cheese nachos and coffee on a cold day, buy tackle, and ask the nice older people where the fish were biting. Its been a long time since then...

There is now a barred up shack with a robot standing gaurd.

if the price of permits can be boosted in some places like santee and barret, could it ever be lowered for a seperate catch and release permit for fishermen at a place like Murray?

2. James

James New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Dude - LOL on the crying, tree hugging parents' kid. You know they're Sierra Club members that want to close down the desert too, right?

Your thoughts and ideas are totally reasonable. Ditto the annual pass idea. I'm from Ojai; grew up 5 minutes from Casitas and, as popular as that lake is (tragically now closed to all outside boats) they have a simple annual pass.

Ahhh...years gone by....

JB

3. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,066
    Didn't this post appear on the old board?

Okay, once more.

The land around Lake Murray is a park. Everyone's taxes pay for it, so it's free to users.

The water is the property of the water district. There is additional maintenance, including fisheries management, which costs more money. Not paid-for by tax dollars.

CK

4. rpnick

rpnick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    While I realize carpkiller is correct, I sympathize with that1guy. Which is why I fish the ponds far more than any lake. No permit, no closing time, no people(well, a few), no hassle. Better fishing? Maybe not, but an enjoyable experience nonetheless!

5. atfish

atfish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Totally agree wit you that1guy....
    Taxes...:laugh: dont get me started..

6. Jimmyz123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +131
    Murray is a nice lake, and a nice park area. Unfortunately you will always have those who do not understand our sport, and think that all we are doing is hurting the fish. Maybe had that lady been smart enough to ask you about the bait rather than let the kids go on thinking you were doing something mean, she could have done more good than bad.

Murray is Murray, I love the lake, I like seeing the sites of those walking, running, and all around the lake. Every once in a while you'll hear a dog going after someone when the shouldn't be. You know what though, that is one fun area to be in.

I highly recommend using a boat or float tube at Murray, you'll enjoy it a lot more.

7. that1guy

that1guy Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I know who runs what.

so there is no way the departments could collaberate and charge people for parking and both make money...??

which gets me to the real reason i posted.
    If the fisheries department generates enough money at a certain lake, could there ever be a catch and release permit which costs half of what a regular permit costs?

8. iNo

iNo New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    They don't stock bass, so it's not like we are saving them
    any money by throwing the fish back. We are all paying to fish.
    It's kinda like saying, hay i didn't catch anything can i have
    my money back? Catching 'em, releasing them, keeping them, getting
    skunked... It's all fishing and that's what we are paying for.

I don't think a lake could ever generate enough money to have
    extra. I know it takes a good chunk of change to have fireworks
    on the fourth. I think it was two years ago when they didn't have
    the money to pay for the fireworks. (or almost didn't??)

It's a reservoir to begin with and unfortunately everything else
    comes after this fact. I would be happy if they would just put
    in a soda machine. :) :)

9. RKMM

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +723
    Name:
    Lori Felchlin
    Boat:
    None
    To institutie a fee (parking, entance, whatever one would call it) the Water Dept. would need to go before the SD Council (as it does for all rate changes). As soon as the public (the non-payers) get wind of the idea letters are written to council members and people are speaking to the council protesting that they should not have to pay to go onto public space. Everytime it's been tried it's been shot down before it got out the gate. It is a shame that the fishing public has to pay for the time spent picking up after the non-paying patrons /sigh.

10. flukeit

flukeit New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    El Capitan charges per person, no matter if you are fishing or not. If you enter the lake area you have to pay a fee.

11. EdHart619

EdHart619 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4
    i remember back when i just started fishing when i was about 7 years old. id be at otay at least once a week, and the consession stand people know me by my first name. but now theres just the place where you sign your name and put the money.

12. steveperry

steveperry Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I understand that taxes pay for the park, and that I pay for fishing privileges, but I get irritated when the non-paying park users take their kids down to the bank and throw rocks into the water. I paid my five dollars to chuck lures, they paid nothing to chuck rocks. Just wanted to vent.....