My first bluegill ever.

Discussion in 'Panfish' started by JustBass, Apr 16, 2019.

1. JustBass

JustBass Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +208
    Switch to light tackle open a whole new chapter for me.
    Yesterday I tried a new jig inspired by spoonminnow, cut translucent Zman 4” finesse shad only tail section and glue to 1/16 crappie jig head. I caught my first ever bluegill, land 3 but missed a lot of bite plus bonus bass. Today again with same jig I caught 3 small crappies and another bass until I lost the jig to rock. Switch to 1/16oz roadrunner with grub and caught 5 palm size bluegills.
    It was fun might not as exciting as bass but definitely I’ll have light tackle on every trips from now on.
    2FA1A6A1-AAC1-4CFC-919A-75F3011133D9.jpeg
    405DC969-7CC0-43B3-9C33-7DB59F05C5CD.jpeg
    09682177-7D95-4DC0-9F16-88F7354BE0BE.jpeg
    ECBBEF13-719B-48DA-83D0-5184D1D5D9A4.jpeg

2. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +708
    Fantastic - a big congrats!!! Beautiful fish! Thanks for the photos.

Suggestion:
    When fish are less actively hitting your lure, downsize it to 2" or less. Even bass sometimes need smaller length lures, as you've seen, bigger lures at time challenge a fish's territory
    daring it to strike regardless of fish size. Much of the time after one fish hits, other nearby fish get turned on and go after your lure. There are many YouTube videos showing this phenomena. Last week I caught many sunfish and crappie in the same area, prespawn crappie blasting my lure on 3-4 consecutive casts!

Note: painted jigheads IMO distract a fish from the lure but also makes it appear larger.
    I order ballhead jigs with bronze hooks from Ebay, 50- 100 at a time . With free s/h you can't beat the price or the quality.

Note: Ebay also sells great files cheap and touching up the point after coming off rocks can make all the difference. Just make sure the hook gap is correct: the point is parallel to the lure at all times (though you may open the gap a tad when fish are hitting light.)

Again - good job!

#2 spoonminnow, Apr 16, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  3. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +33,091
    Boat:
    3 too many
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +708
    Question for JustBass: did you cast those light lures on a baitcast rod and reel?

5. JustBass

Ratings:
    +208
    Yes, I’m suck at spinning rod. I prefer baitcaster. I can cast down to 1/20oz with baby shad but never try with 1/32oz.
    Those are modified with shallow spool and I only use 4lb line. The rod is Light power 1/16-1/4oz.

6. Mrvoy

Mrvoy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +197
    I notice you're fishing from a dock. May I ask which lake were you fishing at?. I'm thinking about taking my daughter out this weekend to do some panfish fishing. If it's your secret spot, I completely understand. Thank you.

7. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +708
    As long as you don't get backlash - why not! Good to see the rod is light action not only for distance but also for better strike detection and the slow-but-steady hookset required using light tackle. Braid is a must with or without a fluorocarbon leader. Congrats on mastering casting gear using light lures.

Here are a few links that give you more lure ideas to try that have proven very productive where I fish and which I can always count on:
    https://sdfish.com/forums/t/what-is-your-favorite-panfish-lure-and-bait.175842/

https://sdfish.com/forums/t/what-is-your-favorite-panfish-lure-and-bait.175842/page-2

#7 spoonminnow, Apr 18, 2019
  8. JustBass

Ratings:
    +208
    It is not secret, it is canyon lake but it is a private lake. If you are nearby contact me via PM.

#8 JustBass, Apr 18, 2019
  9. JustBass

Ratings:
    +208
    Thank, I’ll definitely check your lures out. As of now I’m trying to figure how to control depth, and speed or hop action for crappies. I don’t catch a lot even they are schooling and feeding so I might not do something right.
    Believe me I still have a lot of questions regarding how to fish for crappies but not sure how or where to ask.

10. Fishingnoob619

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +307
    What do you mean? Ask here lol Plenty of people with great knowledge who would be happy to help.

11. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +708
    You've touched on the key to using small light lures the most productive way - speed control which dictates depth control.
    In my mind finesse fishing is the opposite of working lures medium to fast and sometimes harder to master because many anglers opt to work more water faster. A 30' cast using a 1/16 oz jig plus lure can take twice the time to retrieve than a spinnerbait, deep dive crankbait or spoon. But finesse also applies to the retrieve of a Floating Rapala when I twitch the rod tip, turn the reel handle once around, stop and repeat. It drives shallow fish nuts and I've had crappie jump completely over the lure trying to nail it !

Small lure size and subtle action benefit, like the Rapala, when the lure is worked the same way: slow, not steady mid depth, pulling the lure with one reel handle revolution and using rod tip twitches that enhance the lure's subtle action. The lures shown in my posts each have unique actions of their own when stop & go retrieves are used. If retrieved steadily, they have no action unlike Mr Twister curly tail or boot tail lures that must be retrieved a certain speed. The nice thing about finesse designs is that almost none are superior to any other, unique as they are, which means you don't have to worry about running out of particular designs considering the large number of designs that get bit. You proved that yourself !

The above covers near surface to mid depth retrieves, but one other presentation involves a bottom retrieve. How many times have you allowed a lure to sit on the bottom while doing something else and once you started retrieving it - BAM - FISH ON! The first time it happened to me was years ago when I was trying to get confidence in a jig & pig combo. The lure was in 3' behind the boat, forgotten while I was eating a sandwich. Once I started moving the boat, the lure jumped off the bottom and a bass hooked itself. Time and again I find that allowing the lure to sit on bottom for 5-10 seconds and then raising the rod is all it takes for a fish to try and prevent the lure's escape after staring at it.

You might consider using a spincast reel or medium spool diameter spinning reel. Spincasts have come a long way since the first Zebco. Like spinning reels, they have the least line spool resistance for casting light lures and the drag is smooth. Even the gear ratios are decent and more line is brought in with every turn of the handle. One time I even flipped the switch for back-reeling a 7.5 lb channel cat caught on 6 # test XL Trilene mono. Some spincast reels can cast braid and I do prefer small diameter no-line-twist braid.

Some ideas and personal opinions to consider. They work for me and it's rare I can't catch at least 40 fish in 6 hours plus 3-5 species using finesse lures.

#11 spoonminnow, Apr 19, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  12. JustBass

Ratings:
    +208
    Thank again spoonminnow you always give useful information. I do have some small lure like striking bisty minnow and some small rapala countdown and jerkbait. I don’t like using treble hook, though it pain to unhook without pliers. I also have some 1/16 jig but not sure if that would work with crappies and it hard to find a right size trailer. My target this year is to get used to with something easy “cast and reel type” like beetle spin, roadrunner and plain jig head with various plastic. The next for me is to use up my stock of Marabou jig, i’ve had for a long long time. You mentioned soak and wait technique which I have done quite often and caught some nice one including catfish, but to tell you what this damn small 1/16 head get hang up more often than 3/8 jig that I use regularly lol.

I still have my old Sahara 750FB pair with cheap light spinning rod but as I said I’m pretty suck with it, I do consider buying another ultra light 5-6’ length to use while drifting in Float tube later on.

#12 JustBass, Apr 19, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  13. Chriwilson

Chriwilson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,856
    I just may take you up on that :emoji_call_me:

14. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +708
    A few simple suggestions you should rig on an unpainted, 1/16 oz ball head jig:
    Crappie Magnet grub (google search and order direct from the company)
    Cut off the tail of a finesse worm - about 2" (excellent quiver)
    PowerBait® Ribbontail Grubs have a great curl tail action at the slowest retrieve. Better than most curl tails.
    4" Charlie Brewer Slider Worm has an incredible body-tail action. (The tail design is like no other.)
    2.5" tubes

Use small soft plastics 2" - IE shorten the worm in your post until you find out how aggressive and large the fish are. Larger fish - use larger lures IE 3" in the right design.

15. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,461
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    Those scorpions are awesome reels. I've got the DC and love it!

16. JustBass

Ratings:
    +208
    spoonminnow i have a question for you or everyone else. What type of bobbers do you guys use? I use and like rod-n-bobs 4-1 which I can make it fix or slip with spring type and can add light. I also have Mr.Crappies flo-n-glo, but prefer pencils style better. I like these type since I can switch quick without re tie.
    2AF4A523-10DF-4AB6-9EA8-E5391DDA09E1.jpeg 4AFC9BB5-DE39-4AC2-AB05-6CA46135D3D6.jpeg
    My problem is my line which is only 4lb and clip of both types won’t stay on, I have to make a loop wrap a few time to make it stay when cast. I’ve found that this wrap and spring type clip kinked my line. The other night while using bobbers, I got a big fish and my link broke off at the clip with in a few second. I would like some recommendations for bobbers.

17. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +708
    JB, I started experimenting with different kinds of floats a few years ago and settled on a bottom-weighted, foam float that has neutral buoyancy, meaning even a 5" fish can take it down once it tries to swim off with my lure. They cast 40', so they're good for shoreline anglers. They come in different sizes, but I have luck with both large and small foam floats. They are really popular in my area and I've accumulate about 35 that were snagged on bottom or hanging from tree limbs.
    jXsoiNl.jpg DutcEXm.jpg HfvMSzF.jpg 1wUjnuP.jpg

So the line stays at the proper length beneath the float when cast, I wrap it a few times around the bottom wire fastener before putting it in the button's hole. Both top and button button wires are spring loaded. The main line in the photos is braid with a 6# test fluorocarbon leader of about 16". Never go above 6# test.

It was the right presentation for crappie near shore in 6' last fall and also for mid lake crappie near a hump a month before that. I never use more than 1/16 oz ballhead jigs with the float and may go lighter; use small soft plastics with thin tails (not curly tail) with floats because of the subtle action surface waves impart. Fish can only stand so much, staring at the lure before they have to scratch the itch.

I move the float 4' and pause. If no bites, I move it a few feet more and pause - repeat all the way back.

Hope this helps.

#17 spoonminnow, Apr 21, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. bluegill_guy

bluegill_guy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +90
    I haven't used a spincast in so many years, that's good to hear, and kind of nostalgic. I learned to fish on a spincaster. Is there any particular spincast reel you recommend? Thanks!

19. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +708
    Daiwa Silvercast-A Series Spincast Reel, size 120 comes to mind as one I can use with braid because the hole in the cap is the largest of any sc reels. But let me be sure and I'll get back to you this pm.

Most companies sell low quality reels that have mechanisms inside the bell (just under the cap)that wear out and don't allow the line p/u pins to stick out far enough. The other problem is the groove on the corner of the bell where line sliding on the retrieve can cause the line to catch and get weaker. Heavier lures will do that whereas light lures (IE less than 1/4 oz.) much less so. Line p/u bells can be ordered direct if grooving happens or the other problem occurs which may not happen for years as long as light lures are used. What do you expect from a reel that cost $30 or less ?!

Pflueger, Abu Garcia, Shakespeare are the worst, though Zebco has come a long ways (my first sc reel).

FYI, The reason I had to resort to spincast after years of only using baitcast and spinning was because of carpal tunnel in the hand I normally cast light lures using a spinning reel. Baitcast reels 25 years ago didn't cast 1/8 oz without backlash. After surgery corrected the problem, I still didn't mind using sc and I'm still able to switch from right to left hand
    when the right hand gets tired casting and holding and casting a spinning reel for hours.

#19 spoonminnow, Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  20. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +708
    Update:
    Daiwa Silvercast-A Series 100 Spincast Reel

There are 4 sizes. The 100 casts a 1/32 oz jig and soft plastic 30' using braid.

• Three ball bearings
      • Rotating, Titanium nitrided line pickup
      • Gear Ratio - 4.3:1
      • 3 ball bearings
      • smooth drag
      • back reeling capable
    $26.80 on Amazon free s/h (other sellers page)

Nice thing about this and some other spincasts reels is that you can also use them on a spinning rod. Heck, why not - the hole the line comes out of is sure big enough and line comes off the spool just like a spinning reel.

Again, these reels last a lot longer if you use light lures and use the rod to pull fish towards you and then quickly reel in the slack line.

If there are opinions that differ regarding the other reel companies mentioned, by all means post them.

#20 spoonminnow, Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019