My Hobie has a leak....

Discussion in 'Kayak and Paddle Board Fishing' started by bajacamp, Aug 6, 2018.

1. bajacamp

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +626
    About a month ago i was fishing Lake Havasu, i was out for about 3 hours and when i got back to shore my yak was extra heavy, open the hatch and it was full of water, dump out the water and that was it for yak fishing.......later i put it up on horses and filled it with water to try and fine the leak never did fine a leak....I think it might be in one of the miragedrive socket.......Has anybody had this problem. And what would be a good fix.......

2. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Interesting. You filled it with water and couldn't find it? I'm wondering if one of the bilge plugs on the back of the kayak wasn't tightened down all the way. I have 2 bilge plugs on the back of my PA-12. I would start with the simple things first. Hobies are pretty bulletproof. The Mirage Drive area in highly reinforced to prevent what you're describing. I'm not saying it couldn't happen. I'm just saying that more than likely it's a simple oversight and not a defect. Check your plugs mi amigo. Keep us updated.

I would also recommend (if it's not the bilge plug) to repeat the water test you did. But make sure the exterior of the kayak is completely dry. Then you'll be able to see if there's even a trickle of water coming out anywhere. If you don't see anything like that, put a load on the kayak to simulate your weight. Maybe some sandbags. That will flex the hull and perhaps reveal the leak.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. bajacamp

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +626
    Fomen, Thanks very much for the info....It is a older Hobie, maybe I'm ready for a new one, but i will try again to find the leak....

4. dooolan

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +975
    What model of Hobie is it?

5. bajacamp

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +626
    Its a Hobie Sport.....

6. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    As far as I know, Hobie hasn't changed the design of the Mirage Drive locking mechanism and well shape. Fast Lane kayaks takes trade in's on older Hobie models. Then they sell the trade in's at a discounted rate. If you already have a Mirage Drive, give them a call and see if they have any used Hobie Models that are newer than yours (i.e. an Outback or PA). But know this..... If you get a PA, they are HEAVY! 40% heavier than the Outback. But they are TANKS! The Outbacks are lighter, and they are FAST, but they are less stable than the PA. Everything has a caveat. But I'd call Fast Lane and find out what they have as far as used models go. Keep your mirage drive.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  7. localfishinboy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +268
    I got a crack last year in my mirage drive area. Only leaked when i used the pedals.
    Still testing my fix a few more times before la jolla, but I plastic welded it 2 or 3 times, then put 2-3 coats of flex seal spray over that. Seems to be holding up.
    Best of luck!

8. ddavid

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +328
    I have had my run in with leaks with my Outback. They are great boats, I just had bad luck plus its 10 years old.

I've had both the seat plug crack and the mirage drive crack.

If its the mirage drive crack under the hull, some people with freak out and say its the end of the world, but it can be fixed pretty easily.

Just drill out both ends of the crack with a tiny drill bit, plastic weld it the best you can, and then seal it with
    G/flex 655-K Epoxy Repair Kit. It has held up for me for a few months so far and if it leaks again I will just give it another coat.

9. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Good advice my friend......

10. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    BTW- that halibut you're holding is a BEAST!

11. bajacamp

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +626
    I want to thank you guys for taking some time for the info, it is very helpful....Fast Lane will be my next stop...Yeah ddavid that Hali is one great catch, looks like a lot of good eating......

12. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Do you know where the yak needs to be sent? Can it be inspected by an authorized dealer, or does it have to be inspected by one of the main distribution/manufacturing facilities? I can't imagine how much it would cost you to ship the kayak to have it inspected if you lived in place that required you to ship it. And after you pay shipping, you still run the risk of them telling you the crack isn't a "manufacturer defect", so they won't cover it. I'm not saying a person in this situation shouldn't at least try. But I think there are very important issues that need to be addressed before someone gets persuaded by the allure of what can appear to be great customer service on the surface. The cost could potentially be exorbitant.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  13. dooolan

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +975
    Hobie factory is located in Oceanside near Oceanside Blvd and Melrose Dr

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    I DID NOT know that. That is very good to know!

15. Shlomas

Shlomas Member

Ratings:
    +2
    My company makes a machine for poly plastic welding. We use nitrogen as a shielding gas and filler rod that match the poly compound of the kayak. If you find the leaking area odds are it can be repaired easily.

Add a photo if you find the leak.

16. patowen

patowen Active Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I have a 12’ Pro Angler. About two years ago it developed a crack on deck. Took it to Hobbie dealer I perched at to get advise on repair. They called hobbie and ended up replacing hull. You may want to check with dealer you bought it at.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Aquaholic disagree.PNG

LOL....... I though the question was very logical and valid. I guess not.... :emoji_cry:

18. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    That's not what I was told. I was told that if I did anything to aggravate or harass you that I would be banned. There wasn't a thread of cynicism or a facetious undertone in what I wrote. It was a legitimate question. I was curious what someone would do if they needed to send their kayak back to Hobie for investigation to see if the damage would be covered. I had no idea where the Hobie factory is. If you weren't local, the money you spent to ship it (without the assurance they would even cover the repair) could be insurmountable. If you lived in Texas, how much would it cost to send a 12', 65# kayak to Oceanside, Ca.?

It wasn't meant as a jab or a challenge, nor was it meant to aggravate you. I actually extracted some valuable information from what you wrote. And as a Hobie owner, I appreciated it.

19. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,466
    I have zero prior context, so I apologize for that, and I don’t really want to go on a prior post forensic examination. On the surface, though, it sounds pretty harsh to ban someone for responding (without disrespect or profanity) on a public forum. I’ve reread Fomen’s posts on this thread, cannot discern anything problematic in my view.

Also, Kellen has been MIA for months, perhaps we should get Lawman back, he can bring Kellen out of the shadows!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Thank you sir. I can say in all honesty that my question wasn't meant to be antagonistic in any way, shape, or form. As a matter of fact, my question was posed ambiguously- meaning I would be content if Aquaholic answered it, or if ANYONE that had some information answered it.