Need a bit of advice

Discussion in 'Sport Boats' started by Cyjake111, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Cyjake111

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,645
    I don't general do tuna trips because of the time commitment necessary for it all but a friend convinced me to go on a full day tomorrow. I'll be on the grande. I have a daiwa saltist 40h paired with a Phoenix rod that had 70lb braid (feels like overkill), a lexa 300 hd paired with an okuma pch with 50lb braid (dont think I'm bringing this), 2 convo set ups that have 20lb and 30lb mono respectively that look to be 15+ years old but is in amazing condition, several spinning set ups ranging from 30lb braid to 50lb braid that I'd likely put on a daiwa proteus for fun jigging times, and hooks of the octopus and live variety ranging from size 2 to 1/0. my buddy has the jigging stuff and I'll be getting 20lb flouro tomorrow plus a couple flatfalls.

is this alright? anything I should def keep at home? anything I should def bring? the name of the game is yellowfin and I'd like to make sure I'm ready for most things. I'd like to try surface irons but my shoulder would likely give on me...

2. skrilla

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +517
    Bring the Lexa or other lighter gear with plenty braid backing. 15-20# leader and #2 hooks. Bait has been small 4-5 inch deans and the YF are chewing the light stuff. Be prepared for a plunker bite. This weekend brought a load of boat pressure.

3. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,194
    I would have a 15lb, 20lb and 25lb set up. Fluoro topshot in those weights worked for us last Friday.

Owner #2 Mutu Circle Hooks or smaller. We used #2.

Leave the spinners at home. If you truly want YFT, you want to reel them in before you get tangled with the cattle. The Fluoro May be necessary because the fish are probably boatshy. Also Fluoro sinks and you wanna use the smallest liveliest bait possible. Mono floats more and the small bait may stay on the surface for birds to pick off.

Some people say the water is murky/dirty so Fluoro not necessary. Going twice in one week using Izor Co-Polymer XXX only then the next trip every set up had Fluoro except “the lucky rod” which had Izor......All the Fluoro Rods got bit and “lucky rod” did not......

I say it does make a difference. That’s my 2 cents.....

On the Lexa300....I left mine at home. Yeah it’s doable, but you prolong the battle which increases your likelihood of a lost fish. Some boats this past weekend had less than 1 fish per angler. I wouldn’t want your heart broken. If you bring Lexa300. Use last.

My buddy hooked a nice 20-30lb class YFT on his Lexa 400. He got worked and lost his fish after a 15 minute battle. You don’t want to fight a school sized YFT that long on a party boat. That’s why I say leave the spinners and use 300 last...

4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +37,914
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Use your conventional gear. If you're using mono, REPLACE IT IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, if it is old at all.. fresh mono has saved my hind end more times than once...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,990
    Name:
    Kyle
    I feel the Lexa 300 would be too small. Last time I was fishing, I saw those guys lose fish to prolonged fights and tangles since it took them so long to reel in. As Coach said, fresh line is key.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Evolved Pinhead
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,065
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    Straight 20lb Mono with either a 1/0 or size 1 live bait hook. Out of the 100 some Yellowfin I gaffed last week almost all of them came on 20lb. No need for flouro.

You’re on a sport boat with live bait... a shyt ton of it as well. If you’re on them good all they care about is live bait, they are not afraid to commit to the boat. You put a good live bait in the water you will be bit. The majority of the fish have been coming of a single stop that chews well... you don’t need to sit their with you’re picky set up.. 20lb mono.

As of right now these are still green water tuna... the bait is in green water so that’s where your tuna are going to be... fishing should get better once the bait gets demolished by more of the little tunas and bigger bait and as the bait is clear water sardines.