Need a downsized big game clip....ideas?

Discussion in 'General Fishing' started by carpkiller, Nov 29, 2019.

1. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,664
    Mmmmkay. When I land a larger fish (stop laughing, it could happen) in the float tube, need a gizmo like spearfishing folks use to hold their catch.
    When I get a legal halibut or bass, there's a LOT going on the the tube.....
    The purpose is to clip a fish, drop it back into the water for a minute so I have two hands free while I secure the lure that's flying around my head, stow the rod and landing net......so I can pull the fish back up in order to measure it or take a photo or store it away if I'm gonna keep it.

It's basically a giant duolock snap.
    clip.jpg

Pulling a cord stringer through the gills can injure the fish. And the clips on traditional fishing stringers stringers are too small to hook up a halibut.

The problem with the "big game stringers" that spearfishermen use is that the darn things are 16 inches long and 7 or 8 inches wide. I'm looking for something half that size that can be tucked into a pocket on the float tube. Needs to be stainless round stock to keep from damaging the fish, and the end needs to be straight so the fish can slide right off. Anyone know of any similar kind of clip that could be adapted for this purpose? Or is there some kind of metal clip style fish stringer (with BIG clips) that's out there that I can buy? Or do I gotta find some stainless or aluminum wire and start bending.....?

ThanCKs....

#1 carpkiller, Nov 29, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +48,959
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I have one that isn't full size, but not small enough to be what you are looking for, I think.. better off to make what you need, maybe

3. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +22,702
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I have already made what you are describing. Had to dismantle a whole stringer to do so. I have some leftover clips. Let me see if I can dig one out! If so I will mail you one.

This is what I started with: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RBVN64P/?tag=sd07e-20

4. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,664
    Thanks, Paul. Yeah I saw that one online...your link even had a pic w dimensions. It...could....work! Let me know if you unearth your parts.

Rob

5. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,839
    You might check on local dive shops to see if they have it as spearfisherman use clips like this on a line trailing them with a small clip to undo from their weight belt if sharks become a problem.

6. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +22,702
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I found it! Clips are 5.5" x 2" at the widest point. All you need now is a piece of para-cord and a caribener. (sp?)

PM me an address and I will mail it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  7. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,839
    Spear fishing stringer clip at Amazon for around $15-$20.

8. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,664
    Thanks, Weldon, the ones I have found are giant. As I rarely need this darn thing it needs to be smaller. Fisheromen is gonna hook me up with a slightly oversided clip off a stringer that will work unless I get a big halibut....which happens, well, once every eight years or so.

9. Kesepton

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +648
    I just used some thick coat hanger and bent it up the way I like. A BIG Carabineer might do the trick too. Depending on what kind of fish we are talking about but might work well.

10. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,664
    20200502_171112.jpg Clip update...
    Thanks to Fisheromen for setting me up with a clip. Yesterday had reason to use it. Halibut #7 looked like a legal at first measure but there was a lot going on in the tube....juggling the net, rod, and fish. That fish just didn't want to lay still...
    Clipped the fish on the stringer and dropped her in the water while everything got stowed. Hauled the fish up got an accurate measurement with mouth closed. 21 and a half.
    Was able to unclip and release the fish unharmed..
    Was spotty hunting but also got 8 halibut total...from 11 to 21 inches....as well as a small corvina. All on ScorcherZ tube baits. Probably woulda done better switching off lures. The Big Bay is pretty good right now...getcha some.

#10 carpkiller, May 3, 2020
    Last edited: May 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  11. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +22,702
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Still working on my Halibut stretcher! Should be through testing and peer review about the time we get a covid vaccine!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  12. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,663

Boga Grip

https://www.bogagrip.com

I have been using one for 20 years. There are cheaper copies - but they are just that cheaper and don’t hold up. many of the cheaper copies also don’t have a rotating head. The rotating head keeps fish from breaking their jaws while twisting. The cheaper copies some of which are less than $30 also are not made with the same with with high quality stainless steel and corrosion resistant components. I have seen some of these that have rusted after one trip.

I have mine attached to a cord that is secured to a tube, yak, or boat so I don’t lose it. I often clip fish and keep them in the water while setting up for a photo. There are a few species it doesn’t work well for but it works great for most. If you just want for securing fish get the 315 model. I have the 130 but mostly use it to handle fish rather than weigh them. Weighing large fish by hanging by jaw can damage them, so I weigh the net with fish in it. I rinse it with freshwater after each saltwater trip and once a year spray the interior and exterior with an anti corrosion lubricant (I use Fluid Film). In 20 years I have only disassembled it once.

13. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,664
    Yeah, Craig, I was looking at the Bogas and they were even on sale from one online source. But...
    1. I'm cheap.
    2. One more thing to remember, to carry and to wash off at the end of the day.
    3. What if my friends (either of them) sees me using a boga grip and thinks I'm afraid to handle fish?
    4. I only measure fish, don't weigh 'em except in the driveway...when I get something big enough to eat.
    5. That almost never happens anyway. Only needed it once since Paul hooked me up with it.
    6. the stainless clip slides in a flat zipper pouch on the tube, takes up no room.
    7. I'm cheap.
    If I learn to catch larger fish, I might go boga....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,663
    Understood. Especially #1 and #7 and interpret those as “frugal” rather than “poor quality”.

I wish East Boga made a version without the scale. The scale is high quality enough to be certified to meet IGFA requirements and is a significant part of the cost.