Need a downsized big game clip....ideas?

Discussion in 'General Fishing' started by carpkiller, Nov 29, 2019.

1. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,776
    Mmmmkay. When I land a larger fish (stop laughing, it could happen) in the float tube, need a gizmo like spearfishing folks use to hold their catch.
    When I get a legal halibut or bass, there's a LOT going on the the tube.....
    The purpose is to clip a fish, drop it back into the water for a minute so I have two hands free while I secure the lure that's flying around my head, stow the rod and landing net......so I can pull the fish back up in order to measure it or take a photo or store it away if I'm gonna keep it.

It's basically a giant duolock snap.
    clip.jpg

Pulling a cord stringer through the gills can injure the fish. And the clips on traditional fishing stringers stringers are too small to hook up a halibut.

The problem with the "big game stringers" that spearfishermen use is that the darn things are 16 inches long and 7 or 8 inches wide. I'm looking for something half that size that can be tucked into a pocket on the float tube. Needs to be stainless round stock to keep from damaging the fish, and the end needs to be straight so the fish can slide right off. Anyone know of any similar kind of clip that could be adapted for this purpose? Or is there some kind of metal clip style fish stringer (with BIG clips) that's out there that I can buy? Or do I gotta find some stainless or aluminum wire and start bending.....?

ThanCKs....

#1 carpkiller, Nov 29, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +41,702
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I have one that isn't full size, but not small enough to be what you are looking for, I think.. better off to make what you need, maybe

3. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,361
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I have already made what you are describing. Had to dismantle a whole stringer to do so. I have some leftover clips. Let me see if I can dig one out! If so I will mail you one.

This is what I started with: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RBVN64P/?tag=sd07e-20

4. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,776
    Thanks, Paul. Yeah I saw that one online...your link even had a pic w dimensions. It...could....work! Let me know if you unearth your parts.

Rob

5. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,622
    You might check on local dive shops to see if they have it as spearfisherman use clips like this on a line trailing them with a small clip to undo from their weight belt if sharks become a problem.

6. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,361
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I found it! Clips are 5.5" x 2" at the widest point. All you need now is a piece of para-cord and a caribener. (sp?)

PM me an address and I will mail it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  7. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,622
    Spear fishing stringer clip at Amazon for around $15-$20.

8. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,776
    Thanks, Weldon, the ones I have found are giant. As I rarely need this darn thing it needs to be smaller. Fisheromen is gonna hook me up with a slightly oversided clip off a stringer that will work unless I get a big halibut....which happens, well, once every eight years or so.

9. Kesepton

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +485
    I just used some thick coat hanger and bent it up the way I like. A BIG Carabineer might do the trick too. Depending on what kind of fish we are talking about but might work well.