Need Advice - Rod to pair with a Tranx 400

Discussion in 'Sport Boats' started by JeremyFWright, Sep 13, 2020.

1. JeremyFWright

JeremyFWright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +348
    Hi all,

I recently started working at a tackle shop (which apart from making me even more of a tackle fiend than before) has given me some good opportunities with discounts etc to get tackle at a good price.
    I have a couple setups for calicos but they are on the lighter end - I have a Tranx 300 with an 8foot ML swimbait rod rated up to 3oz.

I am looking to pickup a rod to match with a tranx 400 that would play onto the higher (and heavier end) of a calico setup and be suitable for yellows and dorado. I almost never fish tuna and would have different gear for that (unless they are that 5-30lb schoolie class. Would love a rod in the 8-8.5 foot range. I like longer rods, so would not be opposed to a 9footer. Curious to see what you all would recommend. If I can keep the rod under 300$ that would be sweet.

Appreciate you guys! Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy.

2. rza007

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +937
    Easy choice. UC85 mega. Thin, light and very strong. Perfect for the tranx 400.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,173
    You said you work at a tackle shop, and you get discounts working their. Tells us what rods you have there, in the size range you are looking for, and maybe people can make suggestions from that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. JeremyFWright

Ratings:
    +348
    appreciate it man! I'll see if I can check one out.

5. JeremyFWright

Ratings:
    +348
    We honestly carry almost everything and can order rods too. UC, Phenix, Calstar, daiwa, Irod, Megabass, Seeker. I was more curious of rod spec as well.

I know a lot of guys (Kevin Mattson comes to mind) like the Phenix USB 800H. I know Afran from warbaits fishes that rod too. Just curious if anyone has pros or cons as to doing a swimbait rod like that or a true inshore / ocean rod.
    I've pulled on the phenix m1 inshores. The 8'2 is nice, just curious if anyone has anything else they like.

6. NextMikeSays

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,107
    I have my Tranx 400 HG on a Daiwa Proteus Inshore Heavy rated 55-80 braid or 20-40 mono. It’s a 30# rod. I’ve fished it with 10# drag and it was fine. Caught lots of fish on it from calicos, tuna to 30#, YT and does really well for rockfish too.

I’m sure you could get this for $100-$150.
    Since you can get UC rods on discount, go for it.

7. Noms

Noms Dirty taco maker
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,335
    Name:
    Angel
    Boat:
    15 gregor tin can
    I personally like the UC stuff more recently. A 7'6-8.5ft Rainshadow judge blank or cheaper rx6 series blank would be killer with a tranx 400. Also cheaper.
    The tranx 400 fits nicely with a small clamp on modern day skinny butt composite rods.

8. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,801
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    I would say Cousins 839T, but good luck finding one of those. Funny enough, I’m pretty sure the guy who sold me mine is also named Jeremy Wright.

With that said, I like the super light feel of the M1s, though I trust UCs a bit more. Another vote for the UC85. I don’t have one personally but I’ve used one a couple times and really liked it.

9. Chriwilson

Chriwilson I'm your Huckleberry ...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,605
    Boat:
    Nunya
    I have mine paired with a Black Diamond PSW-809H; 50lb spectra to short mono leaders

It can be fished heavier than the 20-50lb line class if needed.

10. Gabemorales

Gabemorales KelpSnagger
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,476
    Name:
    Gabe
    Nice budget man, gives you some options. Those Phenix 809s put you at the tip of your budget, M1 inshores are nice. Shimano Teramars pair very nicely to them. The Okuma PCH 8’ heavy paired nicely to my Lexa400. M1 inshores just kick ***, and the Daiwa proteus are great for the money too.
    All Depends on what you’re intending to use it for. Jigs, live bait. I’d say and 8’ rod gives you that sweet spot and versatility to do just about anything