Need some advice on Jetty/Pier fishing

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by rowanl1234, Aug 27, 2020.

1. rowanl1234

rowanl1234 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Hey guys, I've gotten into saltwater a ton lately after being a trout angler mainly. Was gonna go to MB jetty with a few friends and maybe OB pier if the jetty is not producing. What would you recommend as baits, rigs, and maybe lures?
    I personally like tossing out jigs and maybe some hard stickbaits but I'm up for anything that will catch me fish :D

2. Shawn H

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,480
    I've had a some luck lately tossin out some irons/jigs off the jetty lately. Im letting it hit bottom and bouncing it. Although I'm switching the treble for a single hook for the ones i wanna bounce.

3. citruspirate

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,723
    Name:
    Michael/Mike
    Skip the jetty for the next few days. Forecast has 13 mph winds which is not a fun time

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. powaynubs

powaynubs slappos
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +709
    shrimp chunks will work well for the fish in the rocks, so will squid. i prefer shrimp more because it's like a "universal bait", all fish will eat it while only select fish will eat squid. if you fish between holes in the rocks you'll get a couple but make sure you have a heavy weight, if you have rigs moving around there's a 100% chance they'll get snagged on something and retying is never fun

5. Gabemorales

Gabemorales KelpSnagger
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,476
    Name:
    Gabe
    Start off at hospitality point along the walk way towards the south jetty, similar area to the big jetty but easier access and easier to learn on. The north side can be frustrating as a beginner spot, and isn’t the safest option if you’re not familiar with the area. Structure, rocks, kelp, and all the other obstacles make it pretty beginner unfriendly. Start small then go big. Some food for thought; I frequent the north jetty often so I’m not just pulling stuff out of my ***.

6. Gabemorales

Gabemorales KelpSnagger
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,476
    Name:
    Gabe
    Don’t lie dude, we’ve only caught maybe 4 fish altogether on our past few outings not including micro macks lmao. Bait has been around, but the predators haven’t been up to play in the area much.

7. Shawn H

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,480
    Son I consider a Sandie on the bottom with an iron luck, especially randomly :emoji_innocent:, plus the lil calico

8. NibbleSquad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,093
    find a rock that protrudes from the jetty to where you can cast parallel with the rocks. Dropper loop a chunk of shrimp or squid on a 3/4-1oz weight. Early mornings or late evenings are the best. 12-20# line. If you like throwing lures a drop shot fluke should work. Lots of tank sculpin and calicos over the years doing this

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. citruspirate

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,723
    Name:
    Michael/Mike
    This!! And definitely use mono. It's also important to watch the current; sometimes it's better to reel in when you see a big wave else you washed into a snag.

10. returnofthemackerel

returnofthemackerel Active Member

Ratings:
    +75
    After losing too many lures on snags, I'm very hesitant on letting it hit the bottom lol. Though I also switch out the treble for single hooks also!

11. Brandon Mori

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +344
    **This is more geared towards pier fishing**

I used to frequent IB pier and I've always had good luck using small profile irons (megabait or coltsnipers) that are around 1 oz/28g. In my opinion, I've never had issues using the knockoffs. Any metal jigs that are similar to those megabaits or coltsnipers work well or bonito and mackerel. Caivos are good, cheap jigs and any other variety packs you can find on Amazon.

You can also throw jerkbaits, I've had good days using rapala x-raps and yo-zuris. As long as it's not super windy, these work well.

If you want to have fun, throw a bonito splasher, which is a wooden egg shaped bobber with a long 7-10 ft feather tied to the end. If you don't have feathers, use a swivel tied to your leader and a 4-5" piece of white straw/treble hook. Trust me, it sounds weird to be using a drinking straw as a lure, but that thing works just as well as a feather!

But the never fails for piers are always a size 6 or 4 feather sabiki with a jig as a sinker. You can catch all the mackerel and bonito you want with these. If you want, you can also tip the sabiki hooks with squid, shrimp or mackerel. On good days, you should have no problem catching over 100 fish, and usually no need to use bait if they're biting.