Need some help catching bass! Help!

Discussion in 'Bass' started by Damian, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Damian

Damian Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So pretty much I'm new to this Bass fishing world. I've never caught a bass and I really want to fish one out! This past 2 weeks I've been doing some research on google and YouTube on what kind of rigs and baits I should set up. I've seen some pretty good videos and tips for catching bass. But this past Saturday I tried putting my research to real life and sadly at Lake Jennings I caught 0 fish. I was there all day I had a lot of fun and it was so relaxing but I just didn't catch anything. Not sure what I did wrong, but maybe you Bass Fish gurus can help me out a little. And go easy on me people I'm new to this website and the bass fishing world.

PS. Yesterday and Today I tried fishing for bass at Santee Lakes and unfortunately I also came up empty handed. I even saw a bass spawning in, I believe, Lake 4 and I threw everything I had at them and not even a look!

2. Ryan Wilkins

Ryan Wilkins Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Boat:
    Float Tube life
    if you really just want to catch some bass. throw on a night crawler at Santee Lakes. No weight let it sink and slowly work it in. Remember where you get your bites from and when the fish hit it (as in if you were working the night crawler or just letting it sit on the bottom) Learn where and how the fish act and then move into dropshottin robo worms or working a Senko. Try and learn a style you enjoy fishing and master it, then you will begin to see more fish caught as your knowledge and confidence goes up on bass. Just remember even the best fisherman get skunked fishing for bass, I think thats why everyone keeps coming back because you dont just throw a dead fish to the bottom and wait for something to take it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. Rude Baits

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +684
    I know its cliche to say this but I agree with what Ryan said about the stik baits ( Senko) and drop shot. Stik baits and drop shot are two of the most productive techniques in our local waters and are extremely user friendly for new bass anglers. I would probably start with drop shot as it extremely versatile with really no wrong way to fish it. The fish practically hook themselves. It works fast or slow, deep or shallow, and with a variety of different rigging and bait options. If you are completely new to it there are plenty of great article in regards to it around the web and a very nice advanced article for it written by Kellen on this website.

4. semperdoc

semperdoc Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Welcome to the world of bass fishing! Jennings is a great lake - and is a lot of fun right now. Santee lakes can be....well, let's just say they can be difficult for most of us (so don't feel bad). I think the thing to keep in mind right now is: basic, basic, basic. Don't get wrapped up too much on the internet. SDfish is a GREAT site, and has a lot of information - but the truth is that "information" is relative. I don't know what type of gear you are using, line size, baits / techniques, etc...but don't over complicate it. Think about the lake you are fishing (fishing pressure, clarity, shore access if that's how you're fishing, and whatnot) and go from there. I certainly agree with the other posts regarding using senko's and dropshots - as they are simple techniques that consistently produce bites in just about any lake. A senko can be fished in several ways: texas rig, weightless, c-rig, etc. I think that the easiest way to learn is to use it on a small texas rig - use a 1/4 oz bullet weight (or lighter if you can - just beware of wind) and a 3/0 off-shank hook. I think that this is how most of us learned to actually bass fish (am not counting live bait). Keep your line diameter small....flourocarb, no more than 14lb test (I'd go with 12 personally unless fishing thick tullies). You can go weightless with a 3/0 hook - but pay absolute attention to your line when you do so, and let it sink on slack line. On whatever lake you choose - just find some structure (rock, vegetation, whatever) and fish your bait slowly through the structure. When you get bit...and you will...maintain your focus and learn everything you can from that bite. What movement were you using? Color? Size? Where (in the water) did you get bit? Depth? Structure? Use that information to pin point what the fish want. Color wise - you can't go wrong with green pumpkinseed around here. Lots of these guys on this site have TONS of information - so read through the posts and learn as much as you can; but for now keep it as simple as you can. Good luck!

5. mrfady

mrfady Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Drop shot a robo Margarita Mutilator color and work it veeeeery slow. I've yet to be skunked on that rig. Not my first choice but when they are lock jaw, I pick up the spinning rod and work the drop shot with that specific color. Go rent a small bass boat from lake Dixon and I can almost guarantee a bite. Took my nephew a couple weeks back, his first time ever fishing and he picked up 3 with one being a 4 pounder. Keep at it, it will come!

6. pipster

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +159
    Slow fishing a nightcrawler is a good way to catch bass/trout. I don't get why people never tell new fisherpeople try shiners/worms/crawfish/etc.

It how most of us oldrr folks learned how to fish. Once you get a feel of where the fish live then chuck lures at them.

Can't tell you how many times I seen people show up with a bag ful of new lures and catch nothing. Was also the last time I seen them on the water.

7. Nick Arevalo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,288
    Boat:
    None
    Jennings is a good lake but since it is so clear it can be pretty challenging at some times, but like everyone else says santee can be tough at times due to all the pressure that the lake gets. It has taken me 1-1 1/2 years to figure out what their patterns are during different seasons. One bait you should try out is a drop shot with a robo worm. At santee you will almost always catch fish on them. Focus throwing around docks, weed lines, tulies, rocks, etc. two other baits that are really good are ikas and senkos, both super simple to fish and catch a lot of fish. You should head out to el cap. No need to rent a boat just walk the shore a little bit. If you ever do go there just bring extra hooks, weights, etc because you will break off on the quagga mussels. Hope this helps and go catch a bass!

P.S: was that bass you saw spawning by the water outlet on lake 4 if so the fish won't bite because it has been caught like 4 times.

8. Damian

Damian Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys sorry for the such late response! But I've just been really busy with getting out the military and setting up my next career after the military. But I finally was able to catch a couple bass. Not the biggest ones I've ever caught with maybe 2lb being my PR. The lake, or should I call it a pond, that I've been to able to only hook up at is on Miramar base at the pond. Set up a wacky rig watermelon color senko and just tossed them literally inside the tulles. Still haven't had any luck at santee, lake Jennings, Miramar lake, lake Dixon or even sweet water reservoir. Here are a couple of pictures I took while at Miramar pond, back when I was able to fish there [emoji53]. 4d43f5626e75e4283e1d0b544427f9e8.jpg

4a3852aba94abb3c20db8dabfd4cac57.jpg

351940c48013916d33e797768177669c.jpg

3056d66fc82e5d6c6a9f794492a4bab4.jpg

8ae5d5ba0b5b006f78a87ea35ea891e4.jpg

That last one I caught a couple of months ago! Calico bass!

a11cda2d73df16ef9e14499f5cbf23c4.jpg

It definitely made for some very good ceviche!!

Thank you guys for all your help I definitely appreciated it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. MarshawnFlinch

MarshawnFlinch Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Also had a few questions about bass fishing. I've been fishing my entire life but up until about 6-7 months ago I fished almost exclusively saltwater. Different parts of the bay catching spotties, sandbass, bonito and things like that. Earlier this year I got back into freshwater bass fishing which I haven't done in maybe 15 years. I've been to several different lakes around the county, (usually otay or murray) and with the exception of a few times, don't have much luck. I've tried dropshotting, wacky rig, crank baits, swim baits, jigs, different types of topwater lures and seems like everything else in the book and almost always get skunked. Only place I've really had success is santee. I'm not sure if it's the colors I'm using, the presentation, the way I'm working them, or a combination of everything. Anybody have any tips on helping me up my chances?

10. rustyh

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,101
    Sounds like a presentation issue. Bass eat all of those lures

11. MarshawnFlinch

Ratings:
    +0
    When dropshotting, do you suspend the worm so it's off the bottom or let it drop all the way down and leave it there?

12. gatorfan

gatorfan USN BMC (ret)
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +673
    The weight should remain on the bottom and the bait suspended of the bottom. The distance between the weight and the bait is lake and terrain dependent but I typically keep it 8"-12" off the bottom.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/guides/dropshot.html

13. MarshawnFlinch

Ratings:
    +0
    Tried the drop shot out at Santee Lakes again today. No luck. Had a nice 3-4lb bass on a wacky rig but lost it right at the pier on Lake 4. How do you prevent a drop shot from getting caught in the weeds? Texas rig?

14. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,682
    Yes.

15. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,215
    You don't. You fish a light weight let it get stuck and shake the living hell out of your robo. If you worried about weeds fish a weedless senko or 6" purple blue flake weedless no weight just hook and bait. I kill them on the DS just by getting in stuck in the weeds and shaking the worm. I would also fish that at the river the same way. Cast it onto the cover and drag the bait off while leaving the weight on the cover. I slightly shake it so the worm is making vibration rings. It works.

16. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,544
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    How to prevent a drop shot from getting tangled.... Dont toss a drop shot. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List