Need upgrade on fish finder…

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by toolbox, Jul 25, 2021.

1. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,503
    So my Lowrance 4 Elite HDI took a dump on me so I’m looking to upgrade to something a little better. Nothing bigger then a 5” cause my battery holder can only do a 5.4 AH. What are you rolling with and why do you like it? Cheers!

Scott

2. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,397
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    I recently purchased Garmin ECHOMAP UHD 63v . 12 watt power consumption which @ 12volt is 1.0 amp hr .
    What I like ,
    High def on both charts and sonar and many options of view easily customization of the views
    Easy to set up and use
    Selectable frequencys in both chirp and traditional sonar modes .
    With a 30 GB SD card , can map 1 million acres of selected areas with 1 ft contour accuracy , HD map of good spots
    Wifi and bluetooth for Active captain function and transfer / sharing of data .
    reasonable compact and quick connect and disconnect for storage .
    Has very good charts , US costal and great lakes If you wanted all US lake there would be addition software to purchase .
    screen is easy to read , even in full sun may have to tilt your head a bit with polarized glasses on .
    tracks easy to record and reuse

What I don't like or at least wish it had .
    No touch screen unless you go to 9 inch so it uses toggle keys
    no trip computer without using Active Captain, all data is shown but not recorded ,Speed , time . miles , traveled ETC
    This unit has way more features than this old fart will ever use .

All in All I am pleased with the performance . On my aluminum hull , do to mounting transducer on the port side to avoid previous installation of fittings Etc. There is some noise and or loss of sonar at speeds over 15 mph caused probably by the proximity of the clockwise rotation of the prop , not a game changer for me . Seems to work well at least to 1000 feet in salt water . Good luck , there is a lot out there . Garmin does have a 4 inch version of this unit . Tough to make a decision WR

#2 William Ritchie, Jul 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  3. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,397
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Duh , Guess I should have read more closely , don't think you will need to worry about the prop on a tube . Also you may not need the Chart plotter function , Oh Well good luck anyway . WR

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,503
    WR, That was a professionally written review and I appreciate the detail. From fishing some of the same waters for many years during the droughts and the few high levels we have had, it would be cool to be able to mark a rock pile that produced and be able to set a waypoint and find it years down the road. Is that what charting does or is it to find the islands in the fog or fish the Delta without getting lost. Appreciate the input! Scott

5. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,397
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Chartplotter does all of that right down to the contour lines like a topo map . The maps provided are very detailed bouys , markers , artificial reefs/structure , etc included . The lake cartography if you order it that way or purchase separately is for 18, 000 lakes and inland waterway in the US as I see it . Cheers . WR

#5 William Ritchie, Jul 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  6. MaskedFisherDUDE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,021
  7. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,503