New 2020 low profile Penn baitcasters

Discussion in 'Fishing Tackle' started by Noms, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Noms

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,951
    Anyone else plan on getting the new penn baitcasters? I'm going to try the 200 and 300 sizes. Saw the price for the squall 200 is around $180. Pretty good price and is going to be competing against the tranx 200 and okuma Komodo 200.

2. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,925
    Isn't the main difference between the current Squall and Fathom conventional reels is that one is plastic, and the other is metal? I have to think that would be the same case with the new baitcasters as well, otherwise what would be the difference? If that holds true then you have to compare the Fathom to the Tranx and Komodo, not the Squall.

I like Penn, and I hope these reels meet the hype they are sure to garner, but as I said in the other thread, Penn doesn't have a proven track record with Baitcasters. I'm definitely curious, but I'm going to wait and read the reviews from people who have fished them, and fished them hard.

3. Noms

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,951
    Supposedly the squall is supposed to come with an aluminum frame. Idk yet what the difference between the models will be. People seem to love the old international baitcasters and they still go for a decent price. But Penn definitely doesn't have the track record with baitcasters that other companies have. If these prices are true, I'll have to test one out.

Penn Squall Low Profile Reels SQL200LP

4. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,925
  5. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,195
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    I believe Pure Fishing owns Penn , they have the experience with the Abu Garcia line , if you study the pics on line the Penn look remarkably like the Revo line ,right down to the lock for the handle nut on the Fathom model anyway . Made in the same factory ? Guess we will have to wait for more info and reviews . WR

#5 William Ritchie, Jul 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List