New CA Gun Control Initiative

Discussion in 'Hunting & Firearms' started by 5spot, Apr 29, 2016.

1. 5spot

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +971
    It is called the gun safety for all act of 2016. Lt. Gov Newsom is leading the charge. They achieved the required 600k signatures to get it on the ballet with the help of billionaire gun grabber former NY mayor Bloomberg. Permits for buying ammo. Ban of all mags than can contain over 10 rounds, grandfathered mags for your AR are no more. Ammo purchases will be reported. Many others in addition to bringing back the bullet button ban. Be informed and let your friends know.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...e-magazine-ban-qualifies-for-november-ballot/

Older with possible newer changes to the bill. More info on the initiative.
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/12/robert-farago/breaking/

2. Escofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +873
    Don't even get me started.... everything will be fine. It's all a marketing scheme.

3. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,158
    Does anyone really need mags with more then 10 rounds? How many bullets do you wanna remove from your turkey? Deer? Elephant? Prospective bank robber?

I don't see the problem.

4. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,842
    What about a home invader trying to rape your wife or murder your children? The more the better.

Besides, limiting the mags only hurts law abiding citizens, criminals will have whatever size mags they want because they're not interested in what's legal anyways, and you can easily get high capacity mags.

California is stupid.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  5. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,859
    Why is it so hard to understand that criminals and monsters don't follow the law?

6. MaskedFisherDUDE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +924
    California is stupid. I'd rather have too many than not enough.

7. 5spot

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +971
    2, 3 or more invaders including missing shots, that is why.
    Why do cops need more than 10 rounds? That is the same reason why I should not be limited in capacity.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,158
    To each their own I guess. There are other countries in this world have FAR less gun violence / murder statistics than us. I wonder if it has to do with the gun control present in those countries?

Less guns, less bullets, more control over getting both = less deaths.

No matter how good you might be with a gun, someone out there is better. Esp. If they're standing over you when you're sleeping.

• Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,645
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    From Obama down they say they don't want to take our guns, but they lie! Confiscation is their liberal dream and they will not stop until they have realized it.

The Second Amendment has never been about hunting. It is about tyranny and the protection against such.

10. 5spot

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +971
    Ok, correlation does not equal causation. An example of this would be that Chiraq(Chicago) and DC which both have some of the strictest gun laws in the nation, but have the highest murder rates with guns. There are also countries with millions less guns than the US but have higher murder rates with guns.

You see, as a constitutional republic we have many freedoms and privileges other countries don't, one being gun ownership. In those other countries, typically, with high gun control rates you are a subject of the government where as in the US you are a citizen. Big difference.

And your last paragraph, home invader with a gun on you in your sleep or someone being more proficient with a firearm than you. Totally tangential to the discussion. This discussion is about having the greatest most efficient means of defending house and home.

I encourage you, if you are willing to increase your understanding of the 2A and gun ownership, to visit the The Truth About Guns website. I don't have any stake in the website but find it very interesting and instructional with vasts amount of knowledge. Great writing too.

11. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,158
    It's interesting how typically the same people that are Pro-big military are for the right to bear arms. If the reason for that amendment is to protect against govt tyranny, then it is folly, because the bigger the military gets the more insignificant the homegrown resistance will be to it, whether there are 10 or 10,000 bullets in the magazine.

If it's for home protection against criminals or hunting or recreation that's one thing that we can continue to debate, but to protect against the US Govt.?

C'mon man....this isn't 200+ years ago ....

12. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,645
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I am just stating the original intent. If one wants to believe that such a threat no longer exists, one may do so.

13. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,842
    I'm not pro-gun because I want to protect myself from the govt. I'm not naive enough to think my humble artillery is enough to even slow down our modern military. But I do want to be able to defend myself from nutjobs and criminals with guns.

If they take guns away from legal citizens, the only ones left with guns will be the criminals, and the understaffed law. Is that a country you want to live in?

Thankfully I live in Texas, and I won't have to worry about that in my lifetime.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. 5spot

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +971
    First, it is illegal to turn the US military against its own citizens. It is a common argument from your point of view. It would be a battle against police first. With the amount of private citizens properly owning firearms, well you get the idea. That is even if the local police remained on duty under a tyrannical gov.

Remember the Russia/Afghan war of the 80s. A couple thousand mujahadeen fighters kicked the 10s of thousands of Russians out. Small determined groups of rebels have held up a proper resistance all thought history.

Heard of the Oathkeepers. They are a group of police, military, gov. leaders that have sworn an oath to uphold the constitution. If our gov became tyrannical (remember you brought up revolution first), instantly there would be many many police and military with all kinds of hardware standing by the common citizenry. Civil war is terrible.

Finally, as much as you would like to believe, the citizenry would not be facing tomahawk cruise missiles, tanks or bombing runs from F18s or drones.

15. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,667
    Boat:
    Tube
    So if the roads restricted cars would that stop deaths? I felt safer in an open carry state because it made people think twice. Who cares how many rounds a mag has all it takes is one good one even if there are 15. Australia and Mexico are very strict and look, criminals have guns and citizens abiding the law do not. Why work so hard to disarm people who have shown no threat. Big waste of money and a political stunt to save a career.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Escofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +873
    It's not about that... It's about tyranny. Who are you to say what I can have. (For example)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Escofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +873
    Not true at all... The death rate in USA is due to gangs, which have illegal guns. Putting more restrictions on guns will only hurt us good people whom follow the law. As mentioned many many times. Blame it on the drugs a greed, not the gun

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,113
    Boat:
    Montauk
    We all know the statistics, (and they vary depending on your sources):

• On average, 31 Americans are murdered with guns every day and 151 are treated for a gun assault in an emergency room.
    • Every day on average, 55 people kill themselves with a firearm, and 46 people are shot or killed in an accident with a gun.
    • A gun in the home is 22 times more likely to be used to kill or injure in a domestic homicide, suicide, or unintentional shooting than to be used in self-defense.

And a couple I didn’t know:

• Medical treatment, criminal justice proceedings, new security precautions, and reductions in quality of life are estimated to cost U.S. citizens $100 billion annually.
    • The lifetime medical cost for all gun violence victims in the United States is estimated at $2.3 billion, with almost half the costs borne by taxpayers.

I would think that most reasonable people would agree that the high levels of gun violence in America is unacceptable. This problem, however, seems to be intractable. To be honest I doubt anything meaningful will be done and we’ll continue to read sensational headlines of mass shootings on a fairly regular basis. I say this tongue in cheek, but it’s pretty much a blunt assessment of how some view this issue:

“Your dead kids don’t trump my Constitutional rights,” Joe the plumber.

The fact is the NRA has a lock on much of Congress. Legislators are terrified of crossing this all powerful lobby and getting “downgraded.” (The National Rifle Association gives members of Congress a grade ranging from A to F that reflects their voting record on gun rights). And it’s not just a fear of getting downgraded:

“It’s less about the fear that they’ll (NRA) try to take you down and more about opportunism—it’s one of the only clear cut ways to demonstrate you’re a conservative or moderate Democrat. The A rating is a badge of honor and a defense against charges that you’re some crazy liberal who votes with Nancy Pelosi 85 percent of the time. And if you’re in a rural district the NRA endorsement probably matters a lot more than a suburban swing district. So members in that situation will do whatever it takes to get the A.”

So we can forget about politicians taking a principled stand and voting/representing their constituents' wishes. The game is more about winning reelections and carrying water for an organization with outsize influence over lawmakers. I doubt the oil industry or big pharma has this kind of clout in Washington.

I’ve also noticed over the last few years a number of (red) states passing legislation permitting the carry of guns in churches, bars, airports, schools, etc. What I find interesting despite this trend is that no guns will be permitted inside the upcoming Republican National Convention being held in Cleveland. (Imagine, thousands of "good guys with a gun" packed into a large auditorium. What could possibly go wrong?). Weird, huh?

But I’m also skeptical that the broad term of “gun control” will work. This piecemeal business of limiting clip size, etc. isn’t going to do anything. Background checks help but are hardly a “fix.” As we all know, the vast majority of gun owners are law abiding, responsible citizens. I’m not interested in infringing on their rights. I grew up in a small rural town where hunting was/is a big part of the economy, indeed the identity of the area. I have fond memories of waterfowl and small game hunting. I often wish I lived in a rural area where I had more to shoot at than an indoor paper target. This is really a political problem and our "do nothing" Congress doesn't seem up to the task. I’m not anti-gun, but I really wonder what can be done about the devastating impact of gun violence in America. I’m not holding my breath…

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  19. Escofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +873
    we need to enforce the laws we have instead of making new ones that won't be enforced... It's one big puppet show, and we are the puppets

20. 5spot

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +971
    If you are using any statistic from Moms Demand Action, The Trace, Everytown for Gun Safety, The Coalition to Stop Firearm Violence or anything from the Brady group they are not worth the paper they are printed on.

The above are known to count suicides as murder, include any death up to those of late 20s as children or do not make any note of gang banging murder (which the numbers are much higher than national averages). Because of the high crime/gun murder rates of cities like Chicago and DC, our national gun death ave per 100k is much higher than it should be. Remove 5 major cities from the numbers and you have the low gun murder rate of of somewhere like Norway.