New CA Gun Control Initiative

Discussion in 'Hunting & Firearms' started by 5spot, Apr 29, 2016.

1. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,667
    Boat:
    Tube
    I have weapons in my home which have never fired off negligently, harmed anyone or added to the statistics. Why? Because I am a responsible owner. People for gun control often don't have the slightest idea about firearms. If they did, they would better understand it's not the weapon its the individual. I have said it before, might as well cut everybody's hands off because with hands they have access to anything in the world that can be used as a weapon.

Aside from the high capacity argument for self defense, why the heck should I have to reload every 30 seconds at the range when I'm just target shooting? Who cares. Wasn't the "Unabomber" breaking the law and still found a way to get his hands on weapons for destruction? I'm pretty sure hi-jacking planes is illegal to and looky there 9/11/01 was a day nobody will forget. Its just like fishing, closing it versus conserving natural resources are totally different things. You would be pretty damn mad if all of a sudden you couldn't fish. But people who break the law will never follow the law.

And no, less bullets and less guns does not mean less deaths.... I'm pretty sure after Pearl harbor and 9/11 banning airplanes would not have prevented death. I for sure feel safer knowing that I have the right and tools to protect me and my family when or if the time comes. Besides that, shooting is an American past time. I started as a young lad plinking cans with a pellet rifle in the back yard and I hope to continue the tradition for generations to come. Do you know why cops carry weapons? Because you can't always talk things out and the need for protection is real. This isn't 1965 anymore where you leave your doors unlocked and bikes in the front yard. Unfortunately its becoming quite a cold world out there.

Don't like them? Don't buy them. I get so tired of hearing people bad mouth guns when the gun was nothing more than a tool. The knife who stabbed somebody is just as dangerous. I believe in "keeping up with the Joneses" which means in a world where criminals and sick people have guns, your damn skippy I want one to.

2. 5spot

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +971
    I'm more worried about those that commit hammer violence.
    Now them some sickos. Do I have to use a rock now to frame a house?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,645
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    LOL, 22oz Vaughn rock! :facepalm:

4. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,113
    Boat:
    Montauk

“not worth the paper they are printed on.” “Remove 5 major cities from the numbers and you have the low gun murder rate of of somewhere like Norway.”

Link? Or is this just your opinion?

Human life is human life. Why would we subtract urban areas? No innocent victims in urban areas? Would you agree that the number of gun deaths in the U.S. is unacceptably high? Or are you cool with the status quo?

Also, I'm skeptical of your claim this is just a city problem. Again, I'm not anti-gun and I think most of the gun control proposals that I'm aware of seem futile. I'd just like to see a reduction in the carnage. What’s your solution?

upload_2016-5-2_14-40-59.png

(A map that documents all the U.S. mass shootings in 2015 alone. The group defines mass shootings as incidents when at least four people are killed or wounded, including the gunman).

Finally, I see you’re new to the site. Welcome.

5. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,158
    Well written, and your subsequent post. The stats are unacceptable. If you compare to other European countries we are appalling.

Agree that most gun owners are fine, but the problem is the ease at which one can use a gun to kill someone is far too easy to control effectively. We've lost too many already. The ability of someone to fire their gun recreationally should not supercede society safety. Yes you can kill with many weapons. But how many accidental or mass shootings have you heard of with a knife or bow and arrow? It's the same reason why civilized countries banned the use of nuclear weapons.

Our country has shown that we cannot control ourselves effectively without additional gun control measures. I'm not for eliminating guns, for all the reasons prescribed above. But get rid of the senseless no background check policies at gun shows and ability to buy or upgrade to pure killing machines (automatic weapons, assault rifles).

6. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,859
    You can not buy a gun at a gun show . You pay for it and it goes through a dealer were you pick it up after your background check and a waiting period.

7. David J. Davey

Ratings:
    +9
    The second amendment isn't about hunting, it's about the citizen ability to throw off a tyrannical government.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Escofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +873
    I 100% disagre, with 90% of your comment. But respect your opinion.:facepalm:

9. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,842
    The sickos will still find a way to carry out their mass killings without guns if it ever got that point.

Taking away guns isn't going to end violence, don't be naive.

Did we already forget about the Boston Marathon bombing?? Didn't see any guns there, just some stuff you can buy at Walmart.

10. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,645
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Different but related topic. When will we stop making mass murderers immortal? Just a few weeks back there was a TV special about the Columbine killers. I believe that their names should never be spoken. If they know they will become a sort of folk hero, there will be an endless line of people willing to die in this manner.

How does the NFL deal with people who want their 10 seconds of fame by running out on the field? They do not show them or talk about them. The security guards make them feel pain! There is a lesson here.

11. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,667
    Boat:
    Tube
    If you wanna stop the violence, start with the kids. Better programs after school to keep them off the streets, more cops on the street making communities cleaner and safer and lastly watch out for each other. You will never stop terrorist and sick people. I sure as heck don't wanna end up riddled with bullets because Uncle Sam took my rights away. I would rather go down fighting than lay on the ground and die slowly. And as Kellen said, mass murders have occurred without the use of guns. I see it like the abortion deal, Its not my body its not my choice and that's how I wish this whole agenda against firearms would see it. Its not there life and its not there choice. Its been that way since the beginning of this country and for some johnny come lately to say otherwise is foolish. I am pro gun, pro choice and pro America! Land of the free and the brave is slowly but surely becoming the home of the weak and the slave. But remember folks, a disarmed America is an obedient America.

12. Escofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +873
    Absolutely,

13. 5spot

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +971
    Data and stats are used to control the narrative. Salt Water Jerry, the sites I mentioned are extremely anti-gun. Their stats have been debunked on many gun sites/blogs, with technical detail and fairness. Since you did not provide a ref. for your data I suggest the FBI crime stats or other gov websites, not third parties. Search to your hearts content on The Truth About Guns website. Many many great article debunking the numbers......

It was a thoughtful point about the removing cities, indicating high murder rates happen in cities. Not remove them from the stats. Increase the penalties on murderous gang bangers and drug dealers in the cities and our national murder rates go down. Felons in possession of guns often get plead down. Actually, possession of a firearm is often the most used in plea deal.

What's my solution? Mostly what I have stated. You will never stop the accidents or suicides. As others have said gun control only controls law abiding citizens.

Eyes of the World, Either One or Two From the Vault

#33 5spot, May 2, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
  14. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,113
    Boat:
    Montauk
    Thumbs up, bud. (first time I've heard a reference to my avatar!)

15. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,113
    Boat:
    Montauk
    I do think there's something about our "culture" here in America that contributes to this. Tinsel town's sure-fire formula for $$ -- graphic violence.

16. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,859
    X2 ,
    Throw in an over medicated population and mentally ill ticking time bombs. Along with the moral decline of our culture.

17. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,645
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Freedom comes with inherent risks. I am willing to live with those.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  18. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,667
    Boat:
    Tube
    In all reality I'm just tired of giving an inch and losing a mile. Case in point, my dad has a high capacity Glock 22. He is grandfathered in because he bought it before the ban. Now they want to re ban owning them entirely. They have already banned possession, sales, transfers or manufacturing of high capacity mags basically rendering his gun useless when all his mags are lost or broken. They couldn't outright take his gun but they are coming from just about every other angle possible. The safe handgun roster is a joke because micro stamping does not exist and never will, it was an idea in a movie adopted by the state to flush gun shops and manufacturers out of this state.

How is it that many other states have lawful concealed carry and offer reciprocity and some even have open carry and no bans on silencers and high capacity weapons? Its because in other states the people in charge have not sold there souls to keep there career. California and San Diego in general have some of the most restrictive laws in the country and look, there is still violence because mentally ill and terrorist have slipped through the cracks. The laws I do believe that will aid in stopping senseless violence are things like mandatory reporting of stolen/lost guns, harsher penalties for those caught unlawfully carrying, concealing or using for threats, harassment and or bodily harm. The problem is CA prisons and jails are already maxed out because we have decided to fight people over traffic tickets and other meaningless crimes or victim-less crimes.

In AZ, I can walk down the street either open or concealed carrying, go into most any building and handle my business, I can go shoot 15-20 min from my house, ten day wait periods don't exist its 30 min for a purchase and that includes a back ground check. I do not need a license to purchase a firearm, I do not need a license to open or concealed carry. They offer licenses for concealed carry and the benefit is reciprocity with other states that have a CCW program enacted. In SD, Bill Gore (Sheriff) is fighting tooth and nail not to issue CCW permits to legal firearms owners. Kamala Harris (Attorney General) has done everything possible to make lawful gun owners look like the scum of the earth and has aided Bill Gores fight against CCW programs. SD is actually waiting on an "En Banc" decision from the 9th circuit court on the Peruta case. Gore and Harris need to be replaced. In a state where people have rights and the people in charge have no problem taking those rights is a joke.

#38 STiCKY, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
  19. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,046
    I don't get why some want to change the country so bad. If someone has such a problem with guns they can move to one of the country's that ban them. We choose to live in a country that has a Constitutional ammendment giving it's citizens the right to possess guns. It may not be the best place for those who fear or hate them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  20. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,158
    Same can be said about those people complaining about current and potential future Cali gun regulations. You can always move to Texas.....
    Not so fair on the other foot, is it?