New CA Gun Control Initiative

Discussion in 'Hunting & Firearms' started by 5spot, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Escofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +874
    When did Texas become a country? Yes this is future Cali gun regs, but the constitution applies to every state.

2. 5spot

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +564
    Scisports, your are trying to limit a constitutional right. So the why don't you move argument doesn't work. The 2A is the only one there is talk of controlling. No one would ever limit the 1A. That one is OK in the publics eye.

By some of your responses, it appears like you don't read the opposite sides POV at all. Read both sides so at least you are better informed. Swallowed the anti-gun narrative hook line and sinker. Anybody buying a gun at show gets background checked. It is federal law. If the seller doesn't insist they are partaking in a felony. If caught they will no longer be able to own a gun or vote. There is however the ability to trade and sell guns among friends/family legally in many states, not CA, w/o a background check. You are to know the person and/or have no inclination the person is prohibited.

Also, the media would have you believe automatic weapons are flooding the streets. Not the case. In fact they are so expensive and controlled by the Narional Firearms Act, you almost never even see them used in a crime. A semi-auto is not easily updated to full auto. Another media lie.

Lastly, the term assault weapon is a military weapon capable of automatic fire. The term is improperly used by media daily. Us civilians by semi-auto weapons referred to as modern sporting rifles. An AR 15 is an example.

Further above, you said something to the effect we can't control ourselves with guns. Call in the gov to help us right? Huh? I can. No accidental murders from me or anybody else I know. Criminals know what they are doing. An argument can be made that only mentally ill "may" not be able to control themselves.

#42 5spot, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
  3. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,316
    Yes. The amendment is a right to bear arms, not a right to bear arms without any logical, common sense controls ... California abides by that too.

4. Christopher01

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +106
    C'mon man... Rancho Bernardo is very much different than the rest of the world.

5. 5spot

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +564
    I'm more an absolutist WRT the 2A. To each his own.
    BTW, we have common sense controls. Where does it end? That's the point. Where you aware of the other points I made?

6. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,026
    When did state law trump the constitution?

7. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,026
    Who gets to define sensible? The guy who led us into a water crisis? The guy who raised the min wage 50%? The guy who banned lead ammo? The guy who said he believes higher unemployment and more welfare is a good thing? The guy behind raising the smoking age to 21? Yes we should let this dictator determine what is sensible. He knows what is best for us all.

8. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,316
    We elect a congress whose job is to pass laws based on the best interests of their respective constituencies. Is it perfect? No. But the California state is a relatively liberal state due to its high percent of urban population among other things. And the laws are the similarlybiased. Simple.

Do I wish fishing was more promotional? Yes! Do I think children's lives are more important than someone's right to recreationally use an Assault Rifle without background checks, waiting periods and the like? Absofreakinlutely!

9. Escofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +874
    Of course children's lives are important... But background checks and waiting periods are not the issue... Someone doesn't go through all the hoops to get a gun to cause harm. What would be simple is, I've said it before, enforce the laws we have now. We are talking about the country in its entirety, you seem to be talking about a certain group. Where are you coming up with this buying "assault rifles" without background checks? And let's say someone wants to legally buy a firearm to do damage, what would a waiting period do? Crazys are going to be crazy I don't think a "waiting period " is going to help them.

#49 Escofish, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
  10. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,459
    Boat:
    Montauk
    "The guy who said he believes higher unemployment and more welfare is a good thing?"

Who said that?

11. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,026
    First off you are ignoring the fact that you can NOT purchase a gun without a waiting period or a background check regardless of where you buy it. The south was pro slavery but they didn't the constitution put and end to it. If a conservative state decided to ban ****sexual practices it can not because the same document protecting they protects our gun ownership. Am I willing to give up my 2a right to save a few children's life's absolutely not. Car accidents claim far more children then cars and we let minors operate cars unattended.

12. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,026
    Jerry Brown back in 1996 if I remember right.

13. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,026
    "The conventional viewpoint says we need a jobs program and we need to cut welfare. Just the opposite! We need more welfare and fewer jobs" Jerry Brown

14. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,316
    Not sure how this fits in gun control but ok....
    Times are changing, society is changing. What was unmentionable 20 years ago (referring to your starred post above) is now starting to be addressed. We are evolving. Whether I agree with it or not, we as a society are making a conscious choice to refrain from traditional Judeo-Christian constraints on personal choices that have no negative impact on society. Separation of church and state. That is the freedom we all value so much. Owning, using guns has a significant risk to society as a whole, quantified nicely by salt water guy. 2A is in the constitution of course, which is fine. But it is up to the states to legislate how guns are born by the populace to uphold the safety of innocents as much as possible. Prohibition was in the constitution, and it was repealed. Slavery was codified in it, calling a slave 3/5 of a person, one of the most significant compromises in US History. Thankfully that chapter is long gone. The constitution is a living document.

15. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,026
    I was responding to saltwater guy. You are trending on thin ground. Using your logic what would stop an corrupt government from changing the first amendment so that no one can speak out. The left likes to view the first amendment as stone yet the second amendment is flexable. You can't have it both ways, if you can enforce your interpretation of the 2A on someone then someone else can force there interpersonal on the 1A on you. I will change parties if you can quote where in the constitution does it say anything about separation of church and state. It states we have a freedom of religion and that the government can not endorse or force a religion on it's people. It is not the conservatives using the government to force Christian owned business to violate there religious beliefs.

#55 Medicated fisherman, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
  16. rustyh

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +989
    Don't insult me by claiming I'm not capable of owning a firearm to protect myself and my family. I don't know if you have ever been the victim of a home invasion and if not I hope that you never expirence it. But I have been firsthand on the receiving end of four armed people invading my home. I will always have fire arms to protect myself and loved ones and am offended by your viewpoints to prevent that @scisports

17. 5spot

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +564
    "Whether I agree with it or not, we as a society are making a conscious choice to refrain from traditional Judeo-Christian constraints on personal choices that have no negative impact on society".
    Really? Come on brother! A perv was just chased out of Target with video from a woman he was taking pics of in the changing room/bathroom. The new pick your sex rule at Target is in full force.

"The Constitution is a living document"
    Be prepared to be monitored for your speech, be completely disarmed and welcome the police into your home as they wish in 10 years if you believe that. The open interpretation of our Constitution will be this countries downfall.

Sorry man, with your recent posts I can no longer justify any future responses. It has been fun.

18. Escofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +874
    image.jpeg

19. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,316
    A curious 10 year old sneaks into his dad's bedroom. He finds a loaded gun under the bed - his dad feels safer having it there. If it was in the gun safe he would not have it fast enough to ward off the invaders. The boy knows its wrong, but he is compelled to grab it. His 7 year old brother follows him, and accidentally startles him. The 10 year old spins around and the gun goes off!

Bullet goes through the wall, no one is hurt, but two kids got into a LOT of trouble.

I don't need to feel the power and false protection that a gun brings to me. I am not advocating for a gunless state; just a more responsible one that respects the irreconcilable finality that a gun represents. Do you know that in the above example the owner of that gun could eventually still have guns in his possession?

You are right, bad guys will not jump through hoops. What you're not accounting for is that many of those casualty statistics are not from 'bad guys' at all, but people that make a momentary lapse in judgement under adverse circumstances, or are negligent on their handling/storage of their firearms. How many of us have made irrational choices in the heat of the moment?

Cars are for transportation. Do they sometimes take innocent lives? Yes, regrettably. As does eating food, drinking water, taking a swim, or sleeping. Guns are for killing, plain and simple. There are many other more effective ways to protect you and yours then putting your faith in a cold piece of metal.

20. Vito1023

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,907