New CA Gun Control Initiative

Discussion in 'Hunting & Firearms' started by 5spot, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,046
    What? Call 911? That worked so well for that kid attacked by the family dog. If you want to put your families safety in the hands of the government because you feel you are to irresponsible to own a firearm that's your choice. Like I said the statistics show your kids are in far more danger on the ride to school but you will just ignore the numbers and facts in favor of a sad story. Once they take the guns your rod and reel is next. Your parties power brokers hate fisherman.

2. Escofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +873
    :banghead::banghead::banghead:

3. rustyh

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,095
    Once again. . . You don't know how responsibly myself or the vast majority of the population stores firearms to be kept away from children while still being effectively accessible and frankly it's none of your business. Butt out and let me protect my family the way I see best fit.

4. Chris_Schulte

Chris_Schulte Member

Ratings:
    +16
    First off, you can't blame the gun in that case You blame the parents because they were unable to hide the gun well enough from the kid. Second, how else will you defend your wife and kids when 3 armed guys break into your house and all you have is a knife?

5. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,645
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    You call 911, wait 5-10 minutes for a dispatcher, another 5-10 minutes for the cops... no that will not work. You just hope it never happens! That is what a man would do, right?

6. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,667
    Boat:
    Tube
    @scisports Technically, leaving a loaded gun in a home with children is a crime. The proper way to store your legally owned firearms in CA is locked, unloaded and separate from the ammo. I was raised in a house hold of guns and never once did I find any or ammo and if I would have, I was taught that weapons are not toys they are tools which just like any other can hurt you. And I think we can all interpret a "living document" differently. While some things change, some do not. Who's to say that you all of a sudden have no right to bear arms? Maybe all of a sudden this isn't a democracy and our opinions mean nothing. I'm not your tin foil hat wearing, lawn mower riding militia man, I'm just a normal person who enjoys fishing and shooting. Sensible controls??? You mean like a trigger, a safety and a magazine release? Pretty standard equipment. Not any more dangerous than a gas pedal and a couple tons of drunk driver plowing down the road at 65mph.

A wise man once said, I own guns, why should I be paranoid. It seems to me that the people with paranoia are the ones intimidated by something they don't understand. Pick up a gun at a range some time, you might change your mind. Guns don't kill people. Killers kill people.

7. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,113
    Boat:
    Montauk

"That is what a man would do, right?"

Good question.

FOM – saw this on KPBS last night and actually thought of you. Check it out.
    No easy answers -- for me anyway. Food for thought…

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/videos/the-armor-of-light-full-film/

8. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,158
  9. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,158
    Well said, appreciate the sentiment. I have handled and fired guns, I don't have a stigma about that. The issue of course is the minority of people that do not handle their guns properly, not the majority of responsible people like you and others that have responded here. It's like anything else -- a few indiscretions can spoil it for the rest of us. Just like having to remove shoes or being patted down at the airport. Is it a hassle, yes. Does it infringe on my civil rights? Some would say so. But in the end our government is mandated to protect us from harm, both at home and abroad, and after 9/11 more stringent procedures were enactedjust sayin

10. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,667
    Boat:
    Tube
    I can agree that sensible laws should be enacted. Like the pat down at the security screening, its pretty simple unless they have reason to believe they need to go further. They don't strip everyone down like these new gun laws will seem to do. And just like any other negligence, they don't ban having kids when people screw that up. I'm not saying the Govt is coming for us but please believe your rights are slowly slipping away, even if you don't exercise those rights, don't infringe upon those that do. Many laws make no sense like the new smoking age. I doubt very many people turn 18 and pick up smoking just because. Same with drinking. I started smoking when I was 15. The new law will not prevent more smokers, it will probably generate a lot of wasted time for the local authorities. More gun laws will not prevent murder or misfortune, only higher education, common sense and morals and value for life can prevent tragedy. To save a life while rendering thousands and thousands vulnerable is a lose lose. You may stop the once in a while mass shooting sprees or you might not but you will definitely leave many more lives at risk with no right to bear arms freely in your home.

11. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,645
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Don't need to watch the whole thing, the trailer told me enough. Jesus said if a person will spoil a strong man's house he must first bind the strong man. I rely on God and yet I lock my car. I am not a passivist and I believe in the Just War Doctrine. "Turning the other cheek" references my being persecuted for Jesus' sake and the ministry, and has very little to do with my resistance to violence to my family. I have easily reconciled my obligation to my fellow man and my responsibility to protect the innocent against evildoers.

My gun is loaded and accessible and my conscience clear. Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

12. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,645
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    What is that? Is that like "Amen"?

13. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,046
    The difference is you choose to give up your right to searches when purchasing a ticket, it is part of the contract between you and the airline (two private parties). If you don't choose to get on a plane then you don't surrender your rights. The TSA is not going door to door patting people down. Using your logic we should ban cars,unprotected bedroom fun, power tools, ladders, hammers, silverware, planes,trains, dogs, axes, baseball bats,... I could go on all day but you get the idea. All those can cause harm to another when used improperly.

#73 Medicated fisherman, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: May 12, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. 5spot

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +971
    9 of 10 passed in the CA senate yesterday. Headed to the house.
    Good news is these are in some instances 2nd and 3rd attempts at items Moonbeam already vetoed!