New Float Tuber

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by James, Apr 30, 2008.

1. James

James New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just ordered the Creek ODC 420 and should have it this friday. Any of you experienced tubers out there willing to share some info and pointers in terms of rigging, add ons, etc., would be cool.

I definitely want to rig a fish finder too. I've heard about the one where you cast out the transponder that sends the signal wirelessly to a wrist mounted display. Not interested in that. I'm thinking that I want to rig something a little more conventional with a decent sized display. Any help here would be great.

Of course, anyone interested in hooking up to tube would be invited to PM me. I'll probably devirginize it at Murray Friday afternoon or Saturday morning. Murray's not my favorite lake but it's easily accessible and I think all those tulles would be great to fish from a tube. Upper Otay will likely be next on the list.

I'll post up some pics of the rig once I get it together and on the water. Thanks in advance for any advice. Good luck out there.

2. bcfish08

bcfish08 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1
    That's the one I've been looking at. Where'd you pick it up James?

3. bcfish08

bcfish08 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Whoops, just saw your post on the other thread...That's still not a bad deal you got. Cheaper than Cabelas. If I decide to drop the coin, I'll definitely hit you up and we can hopefully learn a few things together.

Bryan

4. Jimmyz123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +131
    This may be a little too much but it will give you some ideas

http://zonkersfishingblog.blogspot.com/ ... -mods.html

I need to make up some rod holders for mine. I think that is the one thing I see mostly done, that and trying to get a depth finder hooked up.

Good Luck.

5. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,393
    Congrats on the tube. Looking forward to reading about your tubing adventures.

6. ol dirty basser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +168
    The Fishin' Buddy fishfinders (originally by Bottomline, now Humminbird) are an easy way to get sonar in the tube. Rodholders are a big bonus. Although you can typically strap a rod or two into your tube, rods mounted horizontally are a PITA if you ever need to bust through some tules or brush. Vertical mounts are the way to go. You can make some pretty easy out of PVC.

Here are the plans I made for my rodholder. You can connect 2 or 3 of these together. Only thing I'd do differently in hindsight is try to reduce the weight a little by simplifying it. Works pretty well though.

odb-rodholderplan.gif

Attached Files:

7. Jimmyz123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +131
    Nice plans man. I like the fishing buddy or the wrist watch style, minimize the stuff you have to carry. It will make life easier.

8. James

James New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info, guys. Max - the plans are great. I'll definitely be doing something like that.

I've been scouring the archives and assuming you guys are using the same screen names, there's a lot of great content from all of you. If any of you want to hook up and get a line wet - tube or whatever, PM me and I'd be stoked to tag along.

Thanks again for the info and I'll see ya' out there. - JB

9. James

James New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Jimmyz - great link. Great what that dude has done with his rig and some ideas I will definitely use. I will certainly focus on keeping the rig lightweight and nimble so I can squeeze it through the reeds in those nice, isolated backwater LMB ponds.

Thanks again - JB

10. zman

zman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0