New hope for The Lounge followed by Most Memorable San Diego Sports Teams

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MrChatterBait, Nov 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrChatterBait

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,001
    In the past few days there has been a lively discussion about briskets, a happy birthday to a likeable SDFish member. a surprising big response to best video games of all time and a classy happy veterans day. All of these were a refreshing break from political opinions. Now that we sadly have only one major league sports team let's chime in on our favorite or most memorable San Diego sports team. I have a sleeper pick. The 1978-79 San Diego Clippers coached by Gene Shue were actually very competitive and had a winning record. With Lloyd "World B" Free and Randy Smith at guards they were fun to watch. What are your most memorable San Diego sports teams?

2. MrChatterBait

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,001
    With Bill Walton being injured for two years and Donald T. Sterling's clumsy ownership the team was moved to LA. San Diego had a lousy owner long before Dean "Fredo" Spanos.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +22,953
    ......ah.... Lloyd Free!!!
    That name brought back lots of memories!

#3 VinnyBass, Nov 11, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +60,862
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Most winning team in all of SD history.. was it the gulls? Anyway, we had a league killing hockey team for a number of years, damn few folks ever bothered showing up...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,380
    Name:
    Larry M
    Sorry, I can't participate because I don't really care about pro sports teams. Not for political kneeing reasons but I just don't care about them.
    Wife drags me to a baseball game every once in a while. I'm kicking and screaming along the way.
    Will read the posts though.

#5 Larry M, Nov 11, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Big C

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +637
    Okay, Chat, I’ll play. I have even more of a sleeper pick. The 1975 World Hockey Association San Diego Mariners. Led by scorer Andre LaCroix and enforcer Kevin Morrison they went to the WHA finals against the Houston Aeros led by Gordie Howe. The games were a blast and the beer was cheap.

7. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,729
    Boat:
    It floats
    It’s funny, the first thread you mentioned, a political break, the brisket was completely political...

8. Big C

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +637
    Also, the 1963 Chargers won the AFL championship with a 51-10 throttling of the Boston Patriots. Led by hall of gamers Lance Alworth and Ron Mix, it was Keith Lincoln who rushed for over 200 yards to become the MVP. I believe that is the only San Diego team to win a major league championship.

9. hookemdano

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +23,063
    Boat:
    1997 Trophy 2352
    I showed up for 10 cent beer nights

10. MrChatterBait

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,001
    I guess I should not be surprised that this thread isn't getting much attention. A lot of old dudes including myself don't really care about pro sports any more. But it sure was fun when we were young and the beer was a lot cheaper.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,729
    Boat:
    It floats
    For me it was off road racing, motocross and super cross. Football always let me down. Gulls games were fun back in the day. My sister won a pair of autographed Wayne Gretzky roller blades randomly.

12. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,709
    No love for the San Diego Sockers who won ten championships over an eleven year stretch?

13. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,120
    I remember taking a really neat, smart (and very beautiful girl) to the closed circuit sport car races in 1963 held at the Del Mar Fair parking lot. I wonder where she is now. Oh well.

14. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,789
    Used to watch the Sockers.
    Did you know currennt team captain (just named to the MASL All-Star team again) Kraig Chiles is fisherman? He used to fish the bays in a Boston Whaler...but has a bigger boat now that his kids are bigger.
    Yeah I followed the Sockers nack in the day. A couple of iterations of the Gulls as well. I think that one year the IHL Gulls had the winningest record of any pro sports team in the country....

15. Fishnagent

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +636
    Boat:
    fish cat
    Micket Thompson stadium trucks!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. JV-Triton

JV-Triton Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +281
    I have a friend who used to play indoor for a team up north, I forget the name. Point of the story, his team came down to play against the sockers and they got destroyed. He told me later that no one on the team ever expected to win and were just happy to play against a champion level team.

17. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,662
    After the original Gulls were gone we had the San Diego Mariners WHA hockey team for three seasons from '74-'77. Went to many games in 5th thru 7th grade. I don't recall the arena ever being packed. Same for the Clippers games.

And the Conquistadors the "Qs"/Sails of the ABA basketball before the clippers. Because of a spat between Q's and Sports arena ownership the Q's played in Peterson Gym at SDSU and Golden Hall. The Q's signed Wilt Chamberlain at the end of his career as a player/coach but a lawsuit by the Lakers prevented him from suiting up for a game.

#17 CraigSmith, Nov 12, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  18. MrChatterBait

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,001
    The Fouts era and the LaDainian era Chargers were a lot of fun. I doubt if we will ever have NFL football back in San Diego. Bad ownership is the reason most sports teams fail.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +22,953
    Speaking of the Sockers......
    The skills , antics and amazing goals by ....Double deuce, Triple E....the one and only Juli Veee!!!!!
    Had tons of fun in those years missing a game or 2 only in a couple seasons and then getting season tickets for many years in Lower Level Section 18, seats 9 & 10...right next to the goal. Highlights are too many to write down....but had dinner with Juli and even invited over to his house off Adams Ave. Every time he came around the arena floor with his teammates after a victory, he would nod and wink to me and my better half back then. It was so much fun being there with crowds of 12,000 screaming fans. Will never forget it!

20. MrChatterBait

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,001
    "There you go again", Vinny, with your pontifications. Don't you have an intelligent and fascinating meme or cut and paste to contribute to the discussion?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List