New Kid on the Block - Float Tube Suggestions for the Bay

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by ThatOneGuy, Mar 18, 2020.

1. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy Member

Ratings:
    +43
    Name:
    Brandon
    Well since I already have an 8wt rod with WFF I will definitely see what trouble I can get into with that. Considering all my rods are substantially lighter for trout streams it looks like I found my excuse to track down a decent 6wt and put on some sink tip.

Looking forward to getting out there and fumble my way through all this, though with the fly fishing network and information on here hopefully fumble a bit less haha

2. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,140
    Don't get shy with your smaller weights. I have a 3wt that I use for creeks, but will use in the bay when I get a chance. Especially in SDB, where the average spotty is 6 or so inches.

Work with what you got first, then figure out where you want to go. Especially with a float tube, where you don't need to cast much.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy Member

Ratings:
    +43
    Name:
    Brandon
    Well i definitely have some other gear I can make work for now with the addition of some new line so I will heed your advice and take it from there. My smaller reels arent ideal for the salt but in the meantime I can just take extra care that they are cleaned and rinsed after every use

4. Kam_Walsh98

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,325
    that was a fun morning for sure

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. captwoody

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,902
    Name:
    Woody
    Boat:
    19ft Kencraft
    I never fish heavier than a 6wt with 4 wt being my favorite. I drives Creek crazy but I have a 1wt with a custom sink tip that I fish.Anything smaller than a 4 wt and you will have to do something custom for sink tips/sinking line.Rick at strouds is my go to guy. Craig smith and Tomaso are dialed. Creek is my mentor take him up on the help your learning curve will go much faster.I have always been an ultralight guy so I buck the system a little.I think the ideal starter rod for the average person is the 6wt