New to Fly Fishing

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by VeeDubGuy02, May 7, 2020.

1. VeeDubGuy02

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,295
    Name:
    Tom
    Where’s this “Stroud” place? Maybe PM me an address or website? I could stop in this weekend. I think information would be more efficiently exchanged?

2. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,734
    www.stroudtackle.com

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. VeeDubGuy02

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,295
    Name:
    Tom
    Looks like I’ll be making a visits mid week. Thank you.

4. wbttk

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +228
    I haven’t seen any substandard gear from the manufacturer, so maybe maxcatch has issues. The guts of their gear is generally very solid in my experience, but YMMV.

All the brands I named are my competitors, but they all have nice gear, likely because of high QC standards. It’s a numbers game for them, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the factory is turning and burning with the House brand, maxcatch. But their clients’ gear is much different.

I will say they need to get better line of graphite rods. There’s only a few I like. Like you said, their fiberglass rods are nice. I guess it depends on a lot of things, but their reels are solid if they build them for you, like Taylor etc.

In the end, if you’re on a budget, there are reels to be had that will suit you fine. If you want to go American, that’s your prerogative. I support American reel companies, but they’re generally a lot more $. If you do look American, look at lamson guru 2s. They’re getting blown out, lots of good deals out there. But it totally depends on the individual.

#24 wbttk, May 9, 2020
    Last edited: May 9, 2020
  5. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,326
    According to what I see about that model, it is a 4 piece travel rod, 9 ft long and a 5 weight. So it would be a good light/middle weight rod for trout on lakes, or for light surf fishing.

6. VeeDubGuy02

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,295
    Name:
    Tom
    You’re correct on the stats.

7. Igobybutch

Igobybutch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +24
    My uncle passed away last year and left me all of his fly fishing gear. Some really nice stuff - like an Orvis split bamboo rod with a matched reel. I think it was his first rod. Also an Edward Barder rod that I don’t think I’ll ever use because I’m afraid of breaking it.

I really need to get out and figure out how to fly fish.

8. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,734

If the Orvis rod was made before 1979 there is a good chance you can look it up by serial # and see when it was made and sometimes by whom. Post 1980 there is less serial# info but some catalog info. This page has thousands of rods listed and may take awhile to load

https://antiquerodandreels.com/databases/orvisdb

All of these rods were built to be fished and split cane rods are very tough.

The do require a little bit of care though and should never be put away wet. Ferrules should never be twisted during assembly/disassembly.

#28 CraigSmith, May 18, 2020
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
  9. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,145
    While I have two mid range fly fishing rigs I got from Orvis & LL Bean (5 wgt and 7 wgt) it seems that I always grab my old True Temper 5005a with attached Martin Auto reel when I go out. I got it in college and I'm 76 years old so you do the math. It's beat up, butt ugly and purists look down their noses at an auto reel but I feel comfortable with it and it catches fish. Bottom line it's what works for you. From my some what limited experience in fly fishing it's the rod that throws the fly to the spot where you want it and the reel is mostly just for line storage IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List