New to inshore fishing. Seeking help

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by Johnnymohani, Apr 15, 2018 at 8:18 AM.

1. Johnnymohani

Johnnymohani Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Lokking to get an all around setup. Did some research and came up with this. A 9ft okuma longitude and a 4000 daiwa ballistic. Any thoughts or recommended changed on this setup? Will this work for pier, jetty, and surf fishing?

2. Tmaio123

Tmaio123 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,212
    Name:
    SD Fishing
    What are you fishing for?

3. Johnnymohani

Johnnymohani Member

Ratings:
    +11
    No fish in particular. I've only fished for freshwater bass, but wanted to try inshore ocean fishing. Just looking for an all around setup.... or is it better to get a specific setup and build my arsenal 1 by 1? (1 pier setup, 1 jetty, 1 surf setup??)

4. zoner

zoner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,192
    Name:
    Mike
    Right. It depends on what "all around" means to you. If your fishing for bat rays/sharks in the surf or bays it'll probably work out for you. If you surf fish for perch and corbina not so much. Bay bassin you could make it work but i'd recommend a 7' medium power spinning rod with a 2000 size reel. It's hard to make one rod and reel do everything. Good luck

5. ScubaLee03

ScubaLee03 Real Estate Broker
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,148
    Whatever you like man.

Beauty of fishing is you can catch fish without spending too much money and sometimes none at all.

Reports of fish caught with abandoned line, hook, weight, up to 60 lb shark with 10lb setup from the finest of SDFISH.

You will be fine using the fw bass setup pounding the shore for starting out.

UL is really good for bays in anyways.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Johnnymohani

Johnnymohani Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I guess the hard part is not knowing what's out there to catch . For freshwater large mouth bass got me addicted so that's what I target. Not sure what I want to target yet in ocean because I'm not sure what's out there . Definitely don't want to catch any kind of rays

7. ScubaLee03

ScubaLee03 Real Estate Broker
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,148
    Welcome to the salt!

Hardest part IS finding the fish and following size regulations with proper ID.

Gear is secondary.

From Coach’s playbook: size small hooks (#6), bits of shrimp, fire pit nail or (split shots) for weight, drop your line alongside the edge of a jetty, close to the rocks. No bites in 5 min, move to a different rock, repeat, until you find’em.

Go out there, explore, enjoy that bass setup and the unknown.

You can also check out a Shore Pounders event and meet other Shore Salts who can help with fish ID, different setups n strategies.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,561
    Boat:
    3 too many
    I think that you're fine with a 4000 size reel on an 8 or 9 foot rod from any maker you like.. Run straight mono, or braid to a casting shot (only run straight braid on the beach, rocks of any kind are hell on braid).. What arrangement are you thinking of having at the end?

9. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,709
    Most of what you would use for finesse bass fishing will work for the perch, croaker, and corbina. I use a 9 ft crappie rod with a small spinning reel with 8# braid, then a 3-4' leader of 4 to 6 mono or fluoro for most of my surf needs.

10. Johnnymohani

Johnnymohani Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Would this combo be better for jetty with occasional pier and surf?

Daiwa ballistic 4000
    Daiwa sp surf 7 foot or 9 foot? (Rates for 1 to 4 oz)

11. kmayhugh61

kmayhugh61 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +160
    When I first started I used an old 6'6" medium bass rod and a 15+ year old Quantum reel. It worked for a few months, but once I got hooked on the surf I had I to get more gear haha! But what you have is a good start.

I usually carry 2-3 setups with me depending on where and what I'm pursuing. I recently got a Shimano salmon rod 8'6" and paired it with a Penn Fierce 3000. It works great with Carolina rigged soft plastics/live baits for Perch, Croaker, and Corbina. It also has plenty of backbone incase something significantly larger hits. Last Tuesday at Blacks, I had a Guitarfish over 3' slam my bait, and the rod handled it easily. If I'm throwing Lucky Crafts, spoons, and other lures I have a more stout 7' spinning setup with a Penn 4000 reel. Light enough to feel perch nips, but easily handled a 4'+ Guitarfish last summer. If I'm rigging big for sharks I have an 11' spinning setup with a 6000 series reel.

You wouldn't happen to be the guy that came and chatted with me at Blacks last Tuesday would you? I remember that guy mentioning he was into LMB fishing and looking to start surf fishing.

12. Tmaio123

Ratings:
    +1,212
    Name:
    SD Fishing
    That's a nice Leo you got in your profile pic

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Cast N Destroy Angling

Cast N Destroy Angling Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99
    Welcome!! Lol .ok well for spotted Bay bass, and calicos the freshwater bass gear should be fine.. even some of the lures :emoji_joy:. For more serious fish like cuda and halibut a good 8 to 8.5ft heavy/fast casting rod with a Calcutta 200gtb.. lures will be spoons, swimbaits, softplastic flukes and jerkbaits between 4 to 6 inches line should be like 10lb to 15lb. And if you wanna go for sharks and rays, go big.. Penn/sabre/seeker all good rods between 7 to 8 ft heavy and stiff. Reel either a 6000 to 7000 sized spinning reel with at least 30lb mono or a good ol jigmaster. Lol. And for bait either half a mackerel, a whole squid/sardine or a big jacksmelt. Hope this helps.. oh and for perch and panfish ur typical bluegill setup will do. Use mussels or shrimp for bait.. preferably ghost shrimp.:emoji_ok_hand::emoji_ok_hand:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. kmayhugh61

Ratings:
    +160
    Thanks! I got 2 this size that day! And missed another. It was the day I realized the importance of wire leaders. Cause 50lb mono is nothing for a large LEO to chomp though hahaha!

15. Tmaio123

Ratings:
    +1,212
    Name:
    SD Fishing
    Where'd you catch him?

16. kmayhugh61

Ratings:
    +160
    Blacks Beach last summer. Fishing south Blacks(just north of the SMCA) up to North TP is probably my favorite areas during the summer.