New to SD need help catching fish lol

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Brad_Spliff, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Brad_Spliff

Brad_Spliff Member

Ratings:
    +26
    Hey SDfish,

I’m new to SD and I’m having trouble catching fish. All I’ve caught in 2 weeks was a small smelt and a spottie, frankly I need more action! I’ve been trying to get a halibut using a drop shot with a zoom fish and 4 inch white grub but no luck at all. Any advice on location or areas to target? I’m from the central valley so I’m only familiar with fresh water species. I’ve fished the mission jetty and all around both bays. Should I switch to bait instead?

thanks for any advice

DA54A178-904D-4A84-88C0-6CB179136365.jpeg

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +60,348
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Bait will get you bit... Look for a very recent thread similar to this... Many find winter to be a tough time for SD fishing. I find big spotties in winter, on bait.. I mean, do you, but.. I know, I am dirty and cheap.. at least I catch fish...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. Brad_Spliff

Brad_Spliff Member

Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks for replying, before I look for that thread what rig and bait do you recommend?

4. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,713
    If you'd prefer using lures, and like to stick around mission bay, then crawling a texas rigged curly tail like a zoom grub or kalin's grub thru eel grass is a great way to get bit. In particular, the northwestern end of mission bay produces well with this method. Look at DJ Thrillz' pinned thread at the top of this board. Should be "Mission Bay: My Perspective" or something. That's like the ultimate starter pack for spotty fishing

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,713
    Also, that's a good sized spotty for your first one. Nice work!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  6. Brad_Spliff

Brad_Spliff Member

Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks man! I’ve fished around there wasn’t really sure how to fish the shallow, great tip

7. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,218
    I’m a lure kind of guy. Spotties are the most targeted species in the bays. Spotties love lures. In my opinion spotties take a huge liking to lures with green, brown, and orange in them. Those colors rarely let me down. You don’t need the biggest and most expensive lures out there to get the job done, 3” paddletails or curltails is all you need and there are multiple bait companies to choose from. You don’t need good gear either. I just recommend a decent reel, with decent line on it. 8# mono is my gig, you can skate fish in with heavier line if you like, they’ll still go for it.
    You don’t need to cast a mile, but the farther you cast the more ground you cover, technically. Don’t focus on casting straight out in front of where you’re standing, make sure to cast around and cover an area well. If nothing, keep moving.
    MB is accessible by foot to about 75% of its shoreline. Parking is always free, tho some parking lots have time restrictions. Check Google maps to figure out where you wanna try. I love fiesta island, the coves on the west side of MB, south shores, and vacation island. When I bump into other forum members it’s usually at one of these areas. In San Diego Bay, harbor island and shelter island are popular shore fishing spots. There are a bunch of decent fishing areas along the Embarcadero too, but you will have to pay for parking unless you fish after 8pm.
    Consider signing up for the Shore Pounders event for this Sunday, the thread is towards the top of the bay fishing forum. I’ll point you in a more, specific direction. Plus you’ll meet a lot of the members, and learn a lot more quickly then reading old threads. We’d be glad to have you out ;)

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Brad_Spliff

Brad_Spliff Member

Ratings:
    +26
    awesome thanks for the insight, i’ll definitely check that out

9. cort

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +796
    Boat:
    ProAngler 14
    If you're targeting halibut then you need to be prepared to come home without one more often than not, by the way. They're just not that easy to catch/common. You'll catch a lot more bass than halibut, as bycatch, just don't be disappointed when you have a lot more 0-halibut days than days with one caught.

10. Brad_Spliff

Brad_Spliff Member

Ratings:
    +26
    Yeah I figured, it’s just those youtube videos make it look so easy lol where do you like to fish for bass?

11. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,061
    Name:
    Eric
    Halibut are a prized catch from shore, especially the legal variety. Targeting halibut from shore I think the surf is the best option. This time of year, I like to target halibut and bigger perch in the surf with a hardbait, spotties with the above mention curly tail grub texas rigged, or fish shrimp off the rocks. Atleast for me this winter has been slower than the past. Sunrise and sunset are your best bets generally, though the bass will bite into the night.

Anyways, welcome to SDfish and saltwater fishing.

12. Brad_Spliff

Brad_Spliff Member

Ratings:
    +26
    thanks! I definitely want to try surf fishing

13. Hooch_Rooster

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +275
    Boat:
    Hobie Compass
    1) welcome to SD and SDFish!
    2) read the stickied threads on Mission Bay and San Diego Bay on this forum.
    3) repeat step 2 but THIS time read all the pages in the thread as there are nuggets of info buried there.
    4) do some Shorepounder events and see if someone will let you fish with them. This Sunday's session we will all be in the same area fishing. Most of us use 6ft + rods so social distancing is not an issue. Make sure you meet up at the end of the session as anglers will share how they did and what they used. And sometimes there are SALCHICHAS.
    5) keep a fishing log.

Bait or Lure. This is the Way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,218
    I’ll add to this, if you are a shore based angler, and want to target halis, go to the surf. You will catch way more than you ever will inside the bays. Lower tides, calm surf has been the name of the game for me. March-June Imperial Beach, Mission Beach, Del Mar, and Solana Beach have been my favs for flats.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Brad_Spliff

Brad_Spliff Member

Ratings:
    +26
    awesome thanks i’ll definitely give it a try, do you need waders to surf fish?

16. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,218
    Depends if you like to get wet, or if you’re ok with cold water. I wear them only because I remain dry when I’m on the way home. I take them off and put them into a Rubbermaid tub. I only wear shorts when I sight fish for corbina.

17. ryanhead

ryanhead Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +198
    I just started fishing around the bays this past summer. I was catching 5-50 fish per session when it was warm, but I've been catching 0-3 for the past few months. I'm sure your struggles are at least partially due to the time of year. 3" big hammers with some brown tones on a 1/4 jighead and 6# line are my go-to.

18. Brad_Spliff

Brad_Spliff Member

Ratings:
    +26
    wow I’d buy a lotto ticket if I ever have a 50 catch day lol. thats awesome i love jig heads, but I’ve been targeting halibut so i’ve been drop shotting I guess spotties are the way to go to have some fun