Newbie La Jolla Kelp part 2

Discussion in 'Kayak and Paddle Board Fishing' started by Robo1, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Robo1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +639
    Thanks for all the swell help regarding how to find the legal fishing grounds. I'm still digesting all of it. Now I need desperate advice on what gear to bring in my PA 14? I have a Sabre rod with a Daiwa Sea Line 25lbs mono and a Penn Jigmaster on a pretty stout Lamiglass rod. Both are kind of old. I want to cover all bases out there and will have a small bait tank. What are some of the best rigging methods for catching Yellows Barries and bass? Lures soft and hard? Braid or Mono? Many thanks Robo

2. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,352
    I'm not going to answer this one, well I just did, but I have such a poor success rate at catching fish that I probably should be ask the same question.

However, I know that if go outside the kelp, drop a chuck of dead fish (from your last outing and saved the scraps, or a dead mack) on 4oz and minimum 30lb braid you'll most likely get a shark.

3. Robo1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +639
    Good to know and that makes a lot of sense. In the bay I try real hard to target a halibut but usually wind up with a billion spotted bay bass. Never disappointed a halibut is certainly a bonus. In the kelp a nice yellow would make me proud. Working on my shopping list for the yellows. I have my eyes on a Daiwa saltist level wind 30 but don't know how it will handle a yellow. From all that I've read so far trolling or fly lining may be the technique? Thanks for your input very helpful and noted. Robo

4. skrilla

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +537
    Spool up with braid and use a short top shot. You need braid to cut thru the kelp. It's inevitable a yellow will run for cover so be prepared. 25lb mono or floro leader is fine.

For trolling I flyline a mack 50-150ft back depending on crowds, sea lions, or conditions. 2/0 to 4/0 circle hook depending on bait size. Insert hook in mouth and penetrate the roof of the mouth. Less twist and tangles that way.

For drifting or when marking fish lower in the water column I like reverse dropper loop using the spider hitch knot. Good chance at all sorts of by-catch this way too.

With bait set out I'm constantly watching for birds, surface action, sonar marks, and will always have a jig or lure at the ready. Plenty of double hookups happen this way. With that said make sure your rod holder is sturdy and leash your gear!

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,791
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    Saltists will handle yellows just fine, though I’m really liking the Penn fathoms recently, especially for the price. I’d ditch the level wind because it just gets in the way and they’re notorious for seizing up when the reel is under a lot of pressure. Main name of the game in LJ is to make some bait then slow troll some nose hooked macks around the outside edge of the kelp.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  6. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,898
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Furbags have been ruthless this year, all I hear about slow trolling the mackerel and getting constantly jacked by the fur bags.. Have seen at least three or four videos of the soupfin mobbing off the end of the kelp. They taste better than a yellow, I think. Chunk bait, wire leader and good fresh line and you're good to go. Be careful landing the thing, gaff to the gills, club to the head, rope on the tail and you're golden.

7. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,352
    Wonder if that will be a sign of things to come - the abundance of the furbags. Isn't there a saying...something like "When there's prey, the predator is near" or something like that? So if there's a lot of prey I would think the predators would be coming around more often.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,898
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Do a rain dance.. Hope the big girls come out to play like five years ago...