NINAS FISHING PIER IS CLOSED TO LOBSTER FISHING!

Discussion in 'Lobster Fishing' started by Baywolf, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Baywolf

Baywolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +890
    Name:
    Perry
    Yesterday, the Navel Security Patrol came to the pier and informed everyone that lobster fishing off the pier is prohibited per the Station Commanders Orders.

Apparently there was a policy dated 2014 with the closure, but for some reason this year they are enforcing it. As of this morning, there is nothing posted that specifically outlines the closure, but the old sign that contains a list of the policy is there.

This change is very unfortunate, since the lobster opener has become a traditional event for a lot of old vets there and many people who frequent the pier look forward to the food, fun and comradely.

I've sent in a comment to the Command group asking them to re-consider this closure, sighting how much it means to the military Vet's, active duty and families. I hope they make a timely decision to allow these "ol timers" to once again enjoy the fun and companionship at this pier.

If you would like to comment, here is a link: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwjo_9iV5_PkAhWIu54KHWj7CN0QFjAAegQIABAC&url=https://www.cnic.navy.mil/regions/cnrsw/installations/navbase_coronado/about/CommunityConcerns.html&usg=AOvVaw24d2yepDWyOhe7qJguYoVD

#1 Baywolf, Sep 28, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  2. Baywolf

Ratings:
    +890
    Name:
    Perry
    I’M HAPPY TO ANNOUNCE THAT THEY HAVE OPENED THE PIER FOR LOBSTER!!

Thank you all who sent in comments. The ol guys are all dancing the jigs!!

Again, thank you!!

3. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,263
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Sounds like a good time , hope the bugs cooperate tonight ! WR

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. Baywolf

Ratings:
    +890
    Name:
    Perry
    Thanks.

5. SoCalGeek

SoCalGeek Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +147
    Name:
    Debyle
    Is this the Pier on North Island? I never knew it had a name... Thanks... now I know what to call it....

6. Baywolf

Ratings:
    +890
    Name:
    Perry
    Unfortunately, because of one guy, the pier is closed once again to lobster fishing. It appears that one of the shift leaders in security has made it his mission to keep the pier closed. The base JAG officer is working on changing the language in the policy to say that Hoop Nets are permitted but traps are not. All the other security personnel are allowing people to use hoop nets on the pier with the exception of one guy. He is one of the shift leaders and has personally gone to the pier during his shift and shut it down.
    This is really unfortunate, since the majority of people using the pier are veterans who have served this country honorably and are just wanting to live out their lives enjoying the simple pleasure of fishing.
    I might add that there has never been any problems here for years. No drinking, they always clean the pier and even try to do repairs as they can. It’s just a damn shame that one guy wants to abuse his authority like this.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. SoCalGeek

SoCalGeek Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +147
    Name:
    Debyle
    Terrible... yeah I'm a veteran who lobsters there for the past 3 years, since I retired and came back home from being active. I know how bored these MP's get... but to pick on fishermen... that's not cool... I hate when they flex their authority...

So are we allowed to hoop net or not? I was planning on hooping there this Saturday...

8. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,825
    Name:
    Larry M
    There always has to be on of them.
    At least the JAG officer is looking at it and not passing it off as being to minor to deal with.

9. brick.daniels

brick.daniels Active Member

Ratings:
    +76
    Name:
    B Daniels
    Was just there. What sucks is that there are traps lined up down the pier pre staging for the evening. That's kinda BS if you ask me. Some folks are clearly taking advantage.

10. Baywolf

Ratings:
    +890
    Name:
    Perry
    I’m out of town, but I heard that the matter got cleared up.