Ninja Session - Part 2

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by Dry Fly Rie, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Dry Fly Rie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,073
    Pops and I went back out for another night session on Saturday, May 30th. Sand crabs were much harder to find, and we fished the last 2.5 hours of the falling tide.

Things got off to a hot start, as I got smacked 5 seconds into my first cast by a 10 inch YFC that fought way above his weight class.

IMG_8656.JPG

Second cast, about 20 seconds after splashing down, I felt serious weight, and proceeded to have a very long and exciting fight with a bat ray in the 8-10 pound range. He was a load on the 6-lb line and medium light setup I was using.

IMG_8658.JPG

Got bit on my 3rd cast but didn't connect. Then things slowed down for awhile. Eventually got a tug working a long trench and had another good tussle with a thick 17-inch Spotfin. This guy easily weighed 4+ pounds. He was a tank!

IMG_8802.JPG

As the tide receded, the bite turned off and I managed one more 10-inch YFC. My dad caught a YFC and a similar sized bat ray.

It looks like beaches down here in SD will be opening up starting tomorrow, so I should be able to start fishing in the mornings or evenings again more often. However, the adrenaline that comes from fighting something big and strong in the dark and not knowing what it is until it's at your feet and you hit it with the head lamp is pretty awesome. I will definitely be doing a few more Ninja sessions this Summer.

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +47,786
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Awesome.. nice to see you on them

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,135
    Spotfins out and about. Nice fish.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +619
    Love them spotfins!!!
    Butch

5. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,470
    It’s about that time of year when those jumbo stripers start showing up in the surf, isn’t it ? I remember those tanks you and your dad caught last year. ( and year before I believe ).

6. Dry Fly Rie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,073

Oh, I’m sure they’re out there. Somebody posted on here about catching one last week up in Oceanside, I think.

The 3 that my dad and I have caught the past two summers were between mid-July and late-August.