1. Anglers Marine is looking for motivated, qualified, career driven employees for their Lakeside location. Full time Counter Sales, Part Sales, and Boat Sales positions are available at their Lakeside location. Health insurance and 401k benefits are available. Pay based on experience. Contact Rick or Cindy at 714-666-2628 if interested.
    Dismiss Notice

Non SD fish report "The Coach is missing!"

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by Werfless, May 16, 2018.

1. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +22,496
    Boat:
    3 too many
    Sooooo.. Will make a short and long report. All weights and numbers are estimates (see notes for the only exception) from my own partially faulty memory. All fish taken from lake Hamilton, Arkansas unless noted. Want what few pictures I took? Scroll..

Short
    Night one. Flathead 8 lb, blue 12 lb and channel catfish 17 lb.

Night two. Flathead 12 lb, blue catfish 18 lb, channel catfish 12, 15 and 18 lb. (most productive one for me by far)

Night three. Flathead 6 and 12 lb, blue catfish 12 and 15 lb.

Night four. Flathead 5 and 10 lb, blue catfish 15 lb.

Night five. Blank. Turtles were out in force, slept at the wrong time as well, had difficulty making fresh bait as well.

Night six. One enormous softshell turtle, at least 25 lb, one blue catfish at 12 lb.

Fished day six with Scott Willis of Xtreme Strike charter service on Lake Ouachita. Awesome experience with a great guide, very relaxed, yet hard working guy for damn sure. Bite was tough all over, and he still put us on great quality fish, we worked like hell for each one.

3 striped bass, including my PB at 30.5 lb. Bested my IV striper from decades ago by almost 5 lbs.

Long report.
    Went to the Natural State to visit with family. Was an interesting experience for sure. Spent my evenings making bait for my night time soak on my set lines, had issues making bait the last two evenings. Ran two every night but the first (only set one the first night), a long one in shallow along the bank out to the channel, and a short off of a floating jet ski dock. Used 7/0 circle hooks on 50 lb omniflex for my sets with a big bobber to hold the bait off bottom a few inches. Spider hitch for the dock/shore loop, Palomar to the hook. No breakoffs, somehow, biggest catfish was just under 20 lb if I had to guess. The bait was just gorgeous. I frequently forget how beautiful the sunfish are in some areas of our country. Dominant "bream" (as described in the AR regulations) I caught seemed to be some kind of longear/redear hybrid. Used size 10 hooks baited with corn or bread on a 7$ wal mart special loaded with fresh 6lb omniflex for the bait fish. Very attractive fish. Fish 3 inches or less were used whole dead, anything longer was cut into chunks. I caught ZERO BLACK BASS OF ANY KIND, somehow? Not complaining at ALL. Was odd though. One afternoon, I saw micro bait getting busted on off the dock from the balcony. Grabbed a trout spinner and casted into the fray, landed maybe a half dozen yellow bass in the few minutes they were up, first time I've caught those in at least 15 years, awesome stuff. Tried soaking corn off and on, Chummed half a three pound can each morning and evening, landed no carp, buffalo or suckers of any kind, waaaahhhhhh! Grrr.. My schedule was so jam packed, I didn't have much opportunity to chase down a gar or travel east or south to chase bowfin, ah well.. Turtles were a hassle, and my last night, I caught one of the largest softshells of my life. It must have weighed at least 25 pounds, maybe 30 or 35, holy shhhhhh!

My guided trip. In one word, awesome! Haven't been on a guided trip in 22 years. This guy had a boat that we would see at a launch ramp going out to chase tuna.. Clean boat, big livewell, a great guide that followed his instincts and found the fish on a tough day. All the guides were calling each other, trying to figure the bite out on a day the stripers didn't want to commit.. Slow trolled shad were getting boiled on and beat up, the fish just wouldn't go. He checked a few different spots, looking for the bass in the standing submerged wood.. He did a hook and hand on that 30 pounder, ran me into the trees and Scott dragged him back out. Was a beautiful fish. I asked him if we could do a release and he reluctantly agreed. Kicking up the trolling motor, he dragged the toad through the water to a bit cooler spot offshore even though it was a bit warm to do a striper release, but the fish swam off to the bottom fine on the FF.. We were fishing downwind and he never came up, hope he made it.. Flylined to get two more ten lb class for so) stripers , and the wife fought one in, with a big smile when it came in the net.. Just an awesome time with a great guide..

IMG_20180510_130906.jpg

IMG_20180511_002705.jpg

IMG_20180510_144508.jpg

IMG_20180511_155151.jpg

IMG_20180512_162816.jpg

IMG_20180512_164951.jpg

IMG_20180513_045350.jpg

IMG_20180513_221949.jpg

IMG_20180515_055227.jpg

View attachment 92369

IMG_20180515_120213.jpg

IMG_20180515_211638.jpg

IMAG3934.jpg

View attachment 92373

IMG_20180515_201505_621.jpg

IMG_20180512_073713.jpg

• Like Like x 62
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,503
    Awesome Werf! That’s a very pretty blue fishy.

Get back to SD safe buddy

3. Master-Baiter

Master-Baiter Just keeping it reel
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +798
    What a epic getaway with an excellent report! Big thumbs up

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie SDRC Neophytes: 9
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,902
    Boat:
    Broken Yak
    Stripers... if only we had those in the lakes..

Holy shut the smell of menthol at the gym is OP how many fookin Altoids did they eat.

5. ScubaLee03

ScubaLee03 Real Estate Broker
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,436
    Wow, forget the striper, that sunfish...:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_call_me:!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,681
    Name:
    Larry M
    That blue colored fish would make a nice aquarium fish if smaller. It could give a tropical fish a run for its money. LOL

7. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,239
    Is that a pumpkin seed? Nice friggin striper great mixed bag .

8. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +22,496
    Boat:
    3 too many
    Thanks geofish , mission accomplished on that level.

Master-Baiter , thanks man.. Was a good time.

Fat Spottie , if we had stripers, the lmb crowd would begin the haterade for damn certain. Lol

ScubaLee03 and Larry M .. Those sunfish were downright beautiful.. Almost a shame to use them for bait

9. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +22,496
    Boat:
    3 too many
    Caught one or two with some pumpkinseed blood mixed in.. Stunning fish tho

10. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,675
    Great Post!!!! Thank you for sharing your fishing adventure!!!
    Lots of nice fish(and pics).... and looks like it you had a great time. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Fishbreath

Fishbreath Fishing tales told here....some true.
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,267
    Thanks for the report. It sounds like a great trip. Makes an old Arkansan nostalgic. I fished Lake Ouachita in the 1950's when it was still new. Never fished Lakes Hamilton or Catherine, but we did look at homes on both when we were considering moving back to Arkansas.

12. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie SDRC Neophytes: 9
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,902
    Boat:
    Broken Yak
    It's a shame... Stripers are a damn hard fighting fish.

13. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,316
    Name:
    Kyle
    Thanks for sharing, excited to fish with you again back in SD though.

14. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,811
    Silverwood, DV, Skinner... stripers galore.

Awesome slay coach! Can’t believe you didn’t eat that 30lb!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +22,496
    Boat:
    3 too many
    Thanks VinnyBass and Fishbreath , was a fun trip with plenty of bigger fish than my typical. The beautiful scenery didn't hurt any..
    kyle12345 , always nice to come home and go fishing with my people.. Look forward to it..
    scisports and Roncador , since I am the only fish eater when I am there, apparently, I only killed one small flathead that got messed up bad by a turtle or gar, one of the smallest blues, which swallowed a circle hook somehow, one yellow bass I gill hooked (with a trout spinner? WTF?) and the bait. Everything else went back in in good condition . No need to kill that 30 lb job (already had loads of fish to give away), when they don't even reproduce in that lake due to low oxygen levels at the time of year they spawn.. Add in the 10 some pounds of striper meat in those other two, and well...

16. robbiesmith25

robbiesmith25 Anti-Orange
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,974
    Name:
    Rob Smith
    I want to live and breath fishing that many days/nights! I’m way jealous!
    Fantastic!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  17. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +22,496
    Boat:
    3 too many
    Better lucky than good, if you ask me

18. Fishbreath

Fishbreath Fishing tales told here....some true.
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,267
    They probably grow bigger since they are not over-populating themselves like they do in some of the lakes around here.

19. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +22,496
    Boat:
    3 too many
    Probably so.. The 160,000 a year for that lake and Hamilton each hardly seems excessive, considering the volume of water there. My guide told me they find big stripers dead on the surface when they chase shad into shallow water that isn't oxygenated enough to support the bigger fish. He told mme this sometimes kills big LMB as well

20. Vito1023

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,712
    Awesome, I so appreciate the pictures and thanks for adding the scenery pics I’ll probaly never make it there so I enjoy them, damn nice quality.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List