NorCal Fishing

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by projectman, Oct 10, 2021.

1. projectman

projectman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +454
    Name:
    C Cat
    SD Fish Community,

I've never fished in Northern California and could really use some advice. I am planning a 5 day trip north of San Fransisco between Point Reyes and Fort Bragg during the Thanksgiving Holiday.

I'm excited to fish up north in the rocky ledges, totally different from the surf and bays of San Diego.

I'm flying from San Diego to San Fransisco:
    • Any recommendation on rods and reels for travel?
    Tackle
    • I think be going after Rock Fish off the shore mostly.
    • If anyone has any fishing spots in the area that you are willing to share, it would be much appreciated. (feel free to DM me if you don't want your spot to be blown up. I'm always willing to show you some San diego spots)
    Best,
    projectman

#1 projectman, Oct 10, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +60,331
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    You will get them. Take gear beefy enough. Find areas with holes and rips. Sort of like fishing LJ or SSC, but a LOT bigger scale. Dudes up there rarely chum. Deadly tactic in the right place...

3. skrilla

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,350
    At the very least a 7-8' MH rod and a 4000/5000 size spinner or 300 size baitcaster. I did it with a 200 sized reel and 7' medium rod when I started and found myself undergunned when it came time to lift lingcod and bigger rockfish out of the water.

Bring lots of lead and leaders. 4-5 inch white swimbaits were the ticket for me when I'd fish up there but baits have come a long way since.

Fish are IN the rocks. Away from the rocks you might have some schooling blacks or blues. But most my takedowns were where you're just a few inches of getting snagged.

If you want to try for redtail surf perch then same gear and techniques apply as here for barred surf perch.

I recommend snaring dungees as the season should be in full swing by then. Bring a crab guage, enough propane to boil them in a big pot, and tons of butter.

Spot burning is a cardinal sin in those parts. That said my best intel came from local shops. Up that way I know Bodega Bay jetties and Stinson beach might be worth a look. But check local regs and closures as those were implemented after I left.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  4. F1$H

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +784
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo 13
    As far as travelling, I assume youre driving-I don't know anything abt fishing up there but its worth investing in rod and reel covers for the trip

5. projectman

Ratings:
    +454
    Name:
    C Cat
    Super helpful Skrilla, I appreciate the response. I am flying up there, so I would need to buy a 2 piece MH rod or a Telescopic Rod. Does anyone have a telescopic rod recommendations?

Catching some huge would rock fish sounds like a great time to me. I watch Fishermans life on youtube who does alot of NorCal fishing and usings big 4" Keitech swimbaits with some decent weight.

6. projectman

Ratings:
    +454
    Name:
    C Cat
    I did a bit of research on rods and bought a KastMaster Blackhawk 2, 8', MH rod Telescopic Fishing rod and a Penn Pursuit 3 4000 which is on sale on amazon right now (only 40$).

7. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +60,331
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Strip bait on a leadhead will pay dividends, IMO

8. ecastillo

ecastillo Member

Ratings:
    +86
    The Penn Pursuits are solid for low budget reels. I use 3000/4000 for the surf and jetties. They take a beating and perform well if you maintain them properly. I currently have 2 in use, and have hoarded another 3 from sales like yours. No need to pay for anything over $75. Despite popular belief, investing in costly reels and rods don't catch more fish, but investing in knowledge and skill will certainly pay more dividends.

9. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,404
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Take along rig of your choice or when there stop by a wally world or similar and get cane pole to rig as a poke pole and a cheap combo rig . You can make a poke pole from a green tree limb or piece of bamboo . Fish the poke in the narrow cracks and fissures of the reefs at low tide there are plenty of videos about it , lead head , squid . about a foot of wire or Heavy mono . It is a blast and can be surprisingly productive . If you cant fly home with it give it to a youngster to get them started . Good luck have fun , be safe on the rocks . WR

#9 William Ritchie, Oct 12, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  10. projectman

Ratings:
    +454
    Name:
    C Cat
    I've been using a Penn Pursuit 3000 for the last 1.5year+ of jetty/surf fishing and I beat the hell out of it. I did some bad things to it like completely submerged it in salt water many times and sand. It still works though and I've caught alot of fish with it, even if it has seen better days. It will be good to have the 40$ upgrade.

11. bigfishT

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +162
    Name:
    Trent
    man good luck! I've done some off the beaten path fishing up there. There are monsters where people don't normally go!! Some of those fish have probably never seen an artificial bait before.