North County - 10/11

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by K-Bo Smack, Oct 11, 2019.

1. K-Bo Smack

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,701
    Name:
    Keath
    I hadn't been out for a serious scouting sesh in what feels like a long time, so I decided to see if there has been any significant structure changes along the north county beaches during today's low tide.

Picked up a healthy sack of blodworms from PCBT (they have some absolute monsters this week) and started the afternoon at Army/Navy. Water was really churned up right at the beach break, but suspended sand settled out nicely and the skinny water was clear. Found some rough patches in the sand right a the low tide mark and easily scooped a net full of good sized crabs. No roe and all hard shells, but I tossed them in the bait belt anyway. Crowd was pretty thick south of Christiansen St. access so I went north towards Buena Vista. Winds were coming in from NW and current was flowing south. Found some good structure and bounced 1oz C-rig around on a couple spots for about an hour. No hits, didn't see any beans up in the skinny.

Moved down to Tamarack jettys. I was surprised at how much sand has been pulled out from the beach beside the north jetty. With all the sand removed it looked like a perchy kinda hole. Winds were still pretty strong but I went ahead and fan casted along the sand right next to the jetty for 30 minutes for nothing. Plenty of structure and river rock all around the north jetty. Since I was there I figured it wouldn't hurt to walk over the bridge to see if fish were holding in what would be the protected side of the jetty. No luck.

Headed south. Thought about stopping at N Ponto but the parking lot was pretty full and it looked like there were a lot of swimmers in the water.

Pulled into S Ponto and was immediately followed by an ambulance and two fire trucks. I guess a swimmer must have over done it. I got on the sand and the winds were calm at S Ponto, but I was surprised to see a significant amount of salad floating in the skinny water. Army/Navy and Tamarack had been completely clear. Found another rough patch in the sand at the low tide mark and scooped a net full of crabs in 2 minutes (the crabs are not bedded with the bean clams anymore). Like Army/Navy the crabs at S Ponto are not carrying roe and are all hard shelled. Threaded a bloodworm on the hook and cast into the outside trough. Hooked up on the first cast. Thought I lost the fish as it was coming through the beach break, I knew I was accumulating salad on the retrieve, but ended up beaching a decent YFC.
    Low tide 14:41, 2.4 ft - caught at 16:01 on bloodworm
    IMG_20191011_160104.jpg

So it goes without saying that salad was an issue at S Ponto. Caught a couple more on bloodworm, but got tired of fighting the salad. No hits on the hard shelled crabs. There were still some big beans prowling the skinny water and big croakers chasing bait fish in the waves when I left at 16:45. I would have liked to have thrown a top water bait to try and hook up with one of those big croakers but knew the salad was too heavy :emoji_confounded:.

Good luck to north county anglers this weekend!

• Like Like x 14
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,894
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Thanks for the report

3. Chazzman

Chazzman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +178
    Great report. Thanks k-bo.

4. Egorham

Egorham Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +219
    So many surf fishing sessions turned unbearable from seaweed! Way to change spots and make it happen.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List