North County, 6/4/21

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by Shane T., Jun 4, 2021.

1. Shane T.

Shane T. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +378
    Name:
    Shane
    Fished the incoming for a few hours this morning. A little grassy, but decent conditions overall. I stuck with LC's throughout the session, switching between Metallic Sardine & Cherry Berry. Blessed with the first hali this month about an hour in.

Also fished with a fellow forum member who absolutely slayed it this morning! Won't spoil it because I hope he posts. :)

20210604_070158.jpg

2. cajunjacket

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +383
    Name:
    Ryan
    Yeah, it was a great morning fishing with Shane.

Last night I gathered sand crabs b/c the beach we were fishing doesn’t allow sand crab harvesting, but it was the closest beach with wave heights below 3.5 ft. The crabs were perky this morning after being kept in wet sand overnight. But then I rinsed off the sand with hose water and most of them were dead by the time I made it to the beach. Maybe it was b/c I rinsed with fresh water instead of salt water?

Ultimately, I landed 6 YFC (kept 5) and a stingray (no pic). I caught my PB YFC - 16”. That feisty guy peeled some serious drag. I love the sound of the drag on Penn reels.

After a slow start to my surf fishing hobby this winter, things have really started to pick up with the wide availability of sand crabs.

Random observations:
    • YFC are feisty little buggers. I love their fight.
    • YFC seemed to like when I stacked two sand crabs on the hook vs one.
    • Dead sand crabs produced just fine today
    • Crows are crafty little buggers. One found my bag of fish, poked a hole in it, and ate the eye out of one of the YFC
    Any recommendations on how to cook the YFC? I filleted them and will cook tonight or tomorrow.

515AB12E-0A09-4F75-A18B-D2953F39AED4.jpeg 5CBE5B4F-4279-46B1-95DB-F5740B40E7F0.jpeg 0253D727-6ADC-4746-8747-AE573F325904.jpeg 5860343F-6D02-4DC5-A555-5D2C0E9F7950.jpeg AC36D98E-F961-456D-AA51-71B4C810BA58.jpeg

3. citruspirate

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,863
    Name:
    Michael/Mike
    yeah fresh water kills them pretty quick. nice work though

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  4. perch killer

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,727
    Tossing for an hour, perseverance. Hats off to you on getting one.

5. K-Bo Smack

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,602
    Name:
    Keath
    Favorite way to cook croakers and drums for me - gill & gut (leave head on) , scale & cut the fins off, salt-n-peppa, heat oil in cast iron skillet, if fish is too big to fit in skillet cut in half, toss fish in skillet and cover w/ foil until first side is done, flip and cook other side. Meat falls off the bone, fat in skin adds flavor, and the best meat (on a big corbina) is up around the head.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,640
    Croaker are strong fighters, very similar to redfish out here. Not really athletic but they can pull like a plowhorse! Great work with the crabs

7. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,386
    Great fishing guys.... Just a word of warning.... If you can't gather sand crabs where you are fishing, you also can't posess them... So be careful, those tickets can be tough... I didn't mean to rain on your prade (or fishing trip), but I'd hate for you to get in trouble...
    Butch

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  8. cajunjacket

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +383
    Name:
    Ryan
    Thanks for the tip, Butch! I was under the assumption that you just couldn’t harvest there, so this is very helpful.

Does this mean I can’t use market shrimp chunks either, b/c they are invertebrates, too? Mussels?

I enjoy fishing that beach, so I’m trying to figure out my options. I don’t like tossing lures as much as fishing c-rigged bait - shrimp, blood worms, camo crack, etc.

I just want to avoid any chance of being cited. Thanks!

9. wildwood

wildwood Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +116
    Name:
    David E.
    If you can't prove your bait came from elsewhere (crab, mussels) then you could get cited. If you bought mussels or shrimp and produce a receipt, you should be OK. Of course officers could still make their own interpretation and cite you. No guarantees. You would need to go to court to get it dismissed.

10. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,386
    I’m not sure, but I would think if they’re not native to the area, that you should be ok. But that is just a guess. Mussels and clams might be sketchy, but market shrimp and bloodworms aren’t found on our beaches,so, maybe? Ghosties are not found on our open ocean beaches, but they are in bays river mouths etc, so? There are guys on this forum that are far more knowledgeable than me, hopefully they’ll answer your questions…
    Butch

11. cajunjacket

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +383
    Name:
    Ryan
    I think market shrimp chunks will be my bait of choice for that beach, then. I’ll try to speak with a game warden in the meantime to see if they have any other suggestions…

12. wildwood

wildwood Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +116
    Name:
    David E.
    You have a great point. This can easily be debated to no end. To specifically address the posted concern " I just want to avoid any chance of being cited". A simple answer isn't possible as the officer is the wild card and can issue a citation even if he's wrong.

13. Dry Fly Rie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,693
    Great outing. Way to get ‘em!

This topic has been discussed on here a few times and in the most recent thread, I posted some email communication with DFG in which they explicitly said it’s illegal to even carry sandcrabs or ghost shrimp on that exact beach, regardless of where you collected them.

The official i corresponded with did say, though, that it would be up to the on-site DFG officer to choose between, citation for possession or just a warning.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. coastpilot

coastpilot Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +273
    Nice croaker. I prefer them fried whole with some salt.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  15. cajunjacket

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +383
    Name:
    Ryan
    Thanks for the info! Now I want to get out there at high tide with shrimp chunks to see how it'll perform relative to sand crabs.