North County - 6/4 thru 6/9

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by K-Bo Smack, Jun 4, 2019.

1. K-Bo Smack

K-Bo Smack Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,364
    Name:
    Keath
    I'm on vacation this week. The rest of the family is working and/or in school so I've got the whole week to fish.

Day 1 (yesterday) started the week off with a bang thanks to Bassnbeans for putting together a 1/2 day run out of Oside. Thread is here CHUBASCO II 6/3/19.

Day 2 - (today) I did an impromptu check of the incoming high tide at Ponto. Arrived at 10:00 departed at 11:30. ***GOOD NEWS*** Found a couple crab beds holding females WITH EGGS!!! Took some digging but I managed to put a dozen or so in my bait belt. Salad was pretty heavy and the water was cloudy. Pinned 4 crabs on a #2 baitholder and started working with the current. All fish were caught on crabs.

10:18 1st corbina
    IMG_20190604_101814.jpg
    IMG_20190604_101905.jpg

10:30 2nd corbina
    IMG_20190604_103044.jpg

11:00 finally drug this little guy up in the sand. The two of us have been playing cat-n-mouse for about 6 weeks. When the water clarity is good I always see him in the same spot. I ended up hooking him at the base of his tail? He had himself sucked down in the sand so hard I thought I had snagged a big kelp stringer. Anyway, hook came out just fine and he took off once he hit the water.
    IMG_20190604_110005.jpg

Caught a couple school size YFC right before I left at 11:30.

I have been planning to fish La Jolla for an afternoon low tide for several weeks. Made the trip down but conditions were awful. The salad north of Tide Pools and at Windansea was bad, real bad. Afternoon didn't quite work out how I had hoped, but I was happy to have checked out a couple of new spots for when conditions do get better.

• Like Like x 13
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  2. kciuchta

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,257
    Name:
    Kenny
    Nice! 4 sand crabs on the hook together?

3. Bassnbeans

Bassnbeans Fishical Therapist
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,565
    Mastering session fishing in NC! You're getting it dialed in up here!

Glad we got a few guys together for a boat trip. All I did was check the schedule. Good to meet a couple new faces. That was lots of fun to have some friends along on a lightly booked boat. Hope we can do it again sometime with a few more.

Enjoy the week. Hope you can knock out the to-do lists and get in a few more sessions. Might be setting up for some night action Saturday if you're down, PM me.

4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +36,896
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Thanks for the report.. Looks like the jetty Thur night for me. Sigh

5. K-Bo Smack

Ratings:
    +1,364
    Name:
    Keath
    Day 3 (yesterday) started up at Oside. I had heard that big spotfins were schooling near the pier so drove a north and got in the water around 07:45. Stopped in at PCBT for half dozen protein pack before hitting the beach, but found the fridge empty. The boys at the shop said the suppliers are having trouble with the workers who harvest the worms in the mud flats. I don't blame them...putting those alien *******s on a hook is bad enough, can't imagine picking them out of the mud all day long. FYI - the PCBT derby has rolled over to Croaker. The 20lb hali that posted a couple weeks ago took the pot last month. Once I finally made it to the water I started on the south side of the pier but the bottom seemed too flat so moved over the the north side. About 08:30 a couple guys came down from the pier and started digging for sand crabs. They seemed like a couple of salt-of-the-earth kinda guys so I asked about the croakers. They confirmed the rumor said the fish showed up the previous day about an hour before high tide and that they (4-5 guys) had collectively caught 12 fish all over 24". They told me where the hole was and went back up on the pier. Water clarity was good, a few kelp stringers & leaves floating around but nothing bad, current was strong so I had a 1.5oz sinker tied on. Around 10:00 one of the pier guys pulled in a nice fish and they waved me over to cast in the hole. I stuck it out until 10:45 then packed up and headed south. Before I left I went out on the pier to see if the guys wanted any of the sand crabs I had collected. The crabs around the pier seemed awfully fragile, like they died in my bait belt within 10-15 min. The pier guys passed on the bait offer, said the only bait that the croakers were interested in was mussels. Could have been the reason I didn't see any activity - wrong bait.
    I motored down to Ponto and walked onto the beach around 11:15 and fished until 13:00. High tide was at 12:15. Water was stained with patches of heavy salad. Rigged up a 1/2oz sinker and casted for the far side of the inside trough (the stained/clear water line). First 4 casts landed fish.

Approx 11:18 small BSP.

11:20 1st corbina. Figured I better start taking pictures since I caught 2 fish in 2 casts. I had an old tired bloodworm and a couple sand crabs on the hook.
    MVIMG_20190605_112001.jpg

11:22 YFC
    IMG_20190605_112256.jpg

11:28 2nd BSP. I had caught a couple sidewinder crabs up at Oside pier and had one of those pinned on the bottom of the hook (bloodworm skin still threaded above). First fish I caught with sidewinders.
    00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190605112816197_COVER.jpg

11:47 another ray? Never caught rays here before, now 2 in 2 days, and both of them were foul hooked. If anyone has insight as to why I'm foul hooking these guys I'd appreciate some feedback. This one was hooked up near the side of its head. I had another sidewinder pinned to the hook and thought for sure I had a healthy corbina on the line...running parallel to the beach and making a few runs back out when close to the beach brake.
    00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190605114803691_COVER.jpg

11:53 another small BSP

12:26 my PB for smallest corbina. Bloodworm skin & sand crabs.
    IMG_20190605_122631.jpg

12:52 2nd (or maybe 3rd not sure) YFC
    IMG_20190605_125239.jpg

I cleaned out my bait belt and headed for the car. I had seen another guy fishing in waders a little closer to the jetty and bumped into him in the parking lot. He was out trying a sabki rig for perch. Had little chunks of Gulp! on the hook. Said he caught 3 nice sized BSP.

Getting ready to do it again today. Headed to Ponto around 10:00 to dig for crabs and be ready for incoming high. mattgulptosser is joining the party. Anyone else is welcome to join if they have time. I went down to the lagoon this morning and scraped some mussels so plenty of croaker bait to share. Hoping to get one of those lunker spotfins!

#5 K-Bo Smack, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 13
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  6. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +36,896
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Thank you for the detailed report

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,242
    Best surf report of 2019!

Hope you get one of those 24” YFC. I would like to do that myself!

8. FOE_RUNNER

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,452
    Nice!

9. K-Bo Smack

Ratings:
    +1,364
    Name:
    Keath
    Day 4 - (today) on the beach from 10:00 - 13:25. High tide was at 13:15.
    Arrived as planned and found the water was even more stained today with patches of heavy salad, but the current was pretty calm and the conditions looked kinda decent. mattgulptosser was already living up to his screen name when I arrived so I started excavating for crabs. Plenty of crab bed to be found right in front of the state parking lot and basically all along Ponto. I picked through 6-7 scoops of crabs and found probably 2 dozen bigger ones holding eggs. Fished for a couple minutes right by the parking lot with no action so started to walk south.

Stopped at the finger reefs south of Grandview and started fishing around 11:00. No action so we started working our way back north, stopping at all the "fishy" spots for 5-10 min of casting.

11:30 decent corbina on Gulp! tipped with a couple sand crabs
    IMG_20190606_113030.jpg
    IMG_20190606_113124.jpg

mattgulptosser hooked up on a couple YFCs as we continued to move north. When we got back to where we started it seemed like the salad had picked up, way more eel grass than when we started. I spotted a couple round rays just before 13:00. Coincidentally, mattgulptosser got busted off around the same time. The two of us parted shortly afterwards.

I ended up hooking a YFC right before I left - 13:09
    IMG_20190606_130907.jpg

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,540
    Nice fishing with you. Next time I'll get a picture worthy fish or two

11. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,762
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Nice to see some action on the beach , nice report . Bill Varney Jr has an article in WON this week about Sand Crabs that may help some of the beginners out there . Nice shot of your Avatar photo on pg. 11 as well . Tight lines !

#11 William Ritchie, Jun 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. K-Bo Smack

Ratings:
    +1,364
    Name:
    Keath
    I just retrieved my copy out of the mailbox - that's embarrassing. On a positive note, I did learn a lot about catching (and eating) corbina that day.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Bassnbeans

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,565
    Good job guys! Would have loved to join you, but you know... work.
    I did get out 5:00-8:00 to check out some new views of Carlsbad surf. Gratitude to twnoel111 for showing me how he works the surf (still wouldn’t give up his honey hole!) and we noticed the same stain in the water. He thinks it’s red tide coming on.
    Sounds like a solid bite is trying to form up. Hope it holds. I can’t get out until the weeekend.

Try that rat-trap out in the surf yet? (Yea, I had to go there)

#13 Bassnbeans, Jun 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. Bassnbeans

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,565
    I’d be happy to be on any page of WON! At least my son has made it once! And I’m still waiting for my first eater sized bean. :emoji_persevere:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. K-Bo Smack

Ratings:
    +1,364
    Name:
    Keath
    Day 5 (today) hit a couple beaches, well really just north & south Ponto this morning, but I did have to drive to two separate parking spots. PCBT received shipment of bloodworms late yesterday afternoon so I drove up to the shop and made a donation in attempt to keep the disgruntled worm diggers employed. I left the bait shop around 07:30, low tide was at 07:20 and the water along Tamarack looked pretty clean, but stained way past the outer troughs. I assume the affect of red tide. Water along north Ponto (tower 27) looked too good to pass so I pulled over and hit the beach at 08:05. There was 1 guy already fishing in front of tower 27, I stopped and asked how he was doing, said he had caught 1 corbina. The water was looking good, very little salad with a light current. I walked up past tower 26 and found a decent rip with some rock structure.

First cast - 08:17 caught another PB (smallest) hali.
    IMG_20190607_081734.jpg

Walked down a little further and found what will most likely become my new corbina sand flat. Water was about thigh high after set waves came in and it only took a few seconds for the suspended sand to settle out. Perfect hunting grounds.
    08:42 corbina #1. Loved the color on this fish - first of this year with pronounced brown saddles. Heavy fish for its size, had to be real close to 2 lbs, good fight.
    IMG_20190607_084318.jpg

Also like how prehistoric the corbina head looks.
    IMG_20190607_084308.jpg
    Tape shot
    IMG_20190607_084243.jpg

Fished the same flat for another 15 minutes with only 1 other perch nibble. Checked in with the other guy fishing by tower 26 before leaving, he had drawn a blank since we chatted on my way out.

Got on the sand at south Ponto 09:22 - 11:17. Water was in good shape, the majority of salad has cleared and rips are easy to see. I suspect the conditions this weekend are going to be pretty good.

Caught 3 beans right away
    09:28 - #2 lower right
    09:40 - #3 left side - this may be the new smallest PB. I have to start measuring.
    09:49 - #4 upper right
    IMG_20190607_092844-COLLAGE.jpg Moved up current about 50 yards to drift my rig into the rip
    09:56 eater size BSP.
    IMG_20190607_095637.jpg

The action started to die off so I moved down to the known croaker hole.
    10:16 YFC #1 bottom - hook nicked the first gill, I didn't mess with it, just cut the line and he swam off. Probably seal food by now.
    10:24 YFC #2 dink
    IMG_20190607_101619-COLLAGE.jpg
    I moved back down to where I had started to see if any corbina had moved into the shallow water. The water was just starting to touch the crab beds. Cast a couple times and then heard some splashing beside me. Spotted a monster, I'm guessing well over 24" in length and 6"-7" across the body. Easily the biggest bean I've seen this year. I worked the area for a solid 40-45 min. Had a couple real light taps, probably dink beans or perch, or it could have been the tank just having a little taste. I knew I was rigged way to heavy to fool this guy.

Its been a good week of vacation.

#15 K-Bo Smack, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  16. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +36,896
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Beautiful.. Hope LJ is clearing up too

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. dallasprather

dallasprather Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Name:
    Dallas Prather
    Thank you for mentioning that article in WON I just signed up for the newsletter. I was wondering if you guys had any other recommendations for monthly articles, newsletters or any other literature for that matter that could help me out? I’m just beginning to get into surf fishing anything would help thank you.

18. K-Bo Smack

Ratings:
    +1,364
    Name:
    Keath
    Conditions are very good up here. Got out right at low tide (08:30) and fished until 11:30. Hooked up on 1 small kitty, probably about 24" or so, gave me a few good runs and then busted off when I got it within about 10' of where I was standing. The BIG corbina are back in the wash. Spotted at least 3 different fish right around 10:15. Just couldn't get them to take the bait. Crafty ba$tard$, every time I thought my line was in a good position I'd spot the fish on the opposite side of my drift. If there would have been a couple other fishermen on the beach I think we could have bagged a few meals.

I will post some other resources later today or tomorrow. We'll have you catching fish soon. Good news is you are starting at the right time of the year.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. dallasprather

dallasprather Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Name:
    Dallas Prather
    I will post some other resources later today or tomorrow. We'll have you catching fish soon. Good news is you are starting at the right time of the year.[/QUOTE]

Haha thank you really appreciate it.

20. toddamus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,164
    Thats good to hear. I'm taking my dad out tonight. I plan on working the area between Grandview and the S. Ponto jetty. Hopefully he can hook into something fun.