North County - another subpar summer??

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by K-Bo Smack, Jul 4, 2022.

1. K-Bo Smack

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,396
    Name:
    Keath
    Finally got my feet out of the kayak footwells, onto the shore, and put in some miles. Sad to say, but it's looking like another summer of subpar fishing along my go-to stretches of sand .
    Saturday morning I was between Cerazo bluffs and the campgrounds middle set of stairs. Salad wasn't to bad, plenty of crabs, some prime looking flats, but didn't see 1 stinkin' bean. Finally found a hole about the size of a hot tub that had 3 hand-sized perch in it. Couldn't find a YFC anywhere...down right pitiful.
    Sunday was back in the kayak looking for something to eat. No go, aroma of skunk was in the driveway before I pulled in.
    Today I waited until the sun was up and walked Ponto to Beacons. Salad was much heavier in this area, current was also ripping downhill at a pretty good clip. No crabs from Ponto to Grandview . Crab beds start right at the Grandview stairs and are ok south from there, but most beds are full of oversized models w/ armor plated shells. Around 08:45 I hooked up on a school-sized YFC. Caught 3 more YFC and bean (finally) out of the same spot. Still didn't see any fish sliding in the flats, and the flats along this stretch look darn good. One more YFC on the walk back and I was back at the car by 09:45.
    I had a chat with another regular on my walk out. He's a fishy guy and was in his usual spot when I stopped. He wasn't happy...said he's been working hard for a couple weeks now and still hasn't pulled a decent fish. We were both shaking our heads and bellyaching about the poor fishing over past 2 years. Looks like '22 is gonna be a rinse-n-repeat.
    PXL_20220704_154658263~2.jpg

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  2. cort

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +877
    Boat:
    ProAngler 14
    Damn... thanks for putting in the work, Keath. They're out there! Gotta eat sometime.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. perch killer

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,156
    Nice corbina Keath. Plenty of sand crabs at SD beaches but the beans aren't rushing in to get them. Haven't seen one bean working the shallows. The one I posted last week was pulled from the bottom of a deep hole. Really have to work at it to find the fish. Send some of those YFC's this way . . . I need one for the KOTB !

4. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,564
    I’ve seen two beans. Had three days in a row to fish this weekend which is rare for me now, great conditions and hardly any fish. Sad. Like you said it all looks fishy too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. skrilla

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,097
    The stage was still getting set. But the weekend welcomed some short interval wind swell that churned things up. Looking ahead into next weekend I see long period ground swell from the South that should push some water up. Hopefully see water temps start to rise and actually hold.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  6. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,531
    I also haven't seen a corb in the surf up here in NOC/SLA... I've caught all of mine blind casting as well... I have a weeks camping trip to San Clemente State Beach soon, and I would sure love for it to be fishy... Oh, and nice you got that corb.....
    Butch

7. Zhao

Zhao Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +220
    Name:
    pkufellow
    I think it changes from weekend to weekend. This past weekend was not productive, partly because tons of people in the water and I could not fish my favorite spots. I fished Saturday morning and Sunday evening, and caught 1 corbina, 2 YFC and 2 guitarfish. I saw one corbina in the shallows but did not get it. Still need to figure out sight fishing.

The weekend before last was productive. I caught quite some corbinas. See my previous report. So I think it just changes over time. Keep trying and you will get your beans :)