North County Ninja Session - 5/27

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by Dry Fly Rie, May 29, 2020.

1. Dry Fly Rie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,042
    After weeks and weeks of waiting to get back on the sand, I got fed up and decided to roll the dice and fish a beach that is currently not allowing surf fishing during the day. There was a nice early morning minus low tide, so I took my two sons to walk on the beach. While they hunted for sand dollars and shells, I mapped out the visible structure and made notes of land marks on the beach.

That same evening, my dad joined me and we went back at sunset. Once the lifeguards departed for the evening, we got to work. Lots of micro crabs with an occasional large female with eggs. We spent 30 minutes finding bait, then started fishing.

Two casts in, and my dad nails a 13 inch spotfin.

IMG_8620.JPG

After about 15 minutes, I got a micro YFC and my dad landed a 9-10 inch YFC. I was working a parallel trench that I had spied earlier in the day, when I felt weight on my line. I lifted slightly, and the weight increased. Then, I felt a slight shake. I swung and connected to something strong. It gave me a 4-5 minute, drag burning fight, but I finally beached a fat 19 inch spotfin.

IMG_8628.JPG

I was feeling good, and hoping for a repeat, I casted out the biggest soft-shell crab I've ever collected (well over an inch-and-a-half). It took 3 casts, and unfortunately, my monster crab only yielded me this tiny guy.

IMG_8633.JPG

Right before we left, my dad hooked into a hard-charging 16 inch spotfin.

IMG_8636.JPG

We ended with 3 fish each for a short, 2-hour session. As we were walking back to the car, my dad almost tripped over this cute little guy.

IMG_8639.JPG

It didn't appear to have any external injuries (no cuts, gashes, or scars), but it was just laying in the sand. It would look at me and follow me with its head and eyes, as I walked around it, but it didn't really move around much. Hopefully it was just relaxing on the sand for a bit and wasn't sick or dying.

All in all, a fun first outing and one that we'll repeat again soon.

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +47,639
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Great session with pops.. nice work..

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +608
    Very nice 1st outing... Those SFC are a hoot.. You and your Dad make good NInjas :emoji_wink:...
    Butch

4. torykian

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +475
    Thanks for the report. Awesome fishing with your dad.