North County Striped Bass

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by syncopate, Jun 7, 2020.

1. syncopate

syncopate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Went down to my favorite north country beach for an AM sesh on 06/05/2020. It was the first time I had been down to that beach for an early morning sesh in a longggg time, the last time was before all the beach closures and corona virus madness. Heard some reports that the Corbina were around so I was all geared up to throw some sandcrabs to see what wanted to bite. Got to the beach around 6:00am, low time was at 4:00am and high time at 10:15am. Started out throwing the LC flash minnow since I could see structure and it was hard to resist. After two missed bites I decided to switch over to sandcrabs, I could see a few beds and the tide was moving in quick. Found some nice large crabs and most of them had eggs. I was throwing a Carolina rig with a 1oz egg sinker on 10 pound mono leader with 10 pound braid for the mainline, keeping it simple. I casted out right in front of the bed and instantly hooked up on a pretty nice Corbina. It measured out to be 18in and had a nice full belly. I continued to fish that hole for another hour or two getting a bite every few cast, I landed around 8-9 yellowfin croaker, nothing too huge. At this point I figured my morning had gone pretty well with a consistent bite, nothing crazy but plenty of fun. Around 10am I was feeling pretty ready to go but I had a couple nice big sandcrabs in my pocket that felt I should toss out. On my second to last crab I cast out and after my line drifted into the hole I was fishing I felt a solid hit followed but a second or two of dead weight. Totally assumed it was a Corbina by the way it took line but after about a minute of fighting I realized that this was either my personal best Corbina or something else. I was pretty shocked when I got it on the sand.

unnamed-1.jpg unnamed-2.jpg

It ended up being the biggest striper I've ever caught, measured 31in and weighed 11 pounds. This thing was a tank and definitely put up quite a fight. I wasn't sure I was gonna land it, kept feeling its tail hit my line. My phone was actually dead so I was stoked to see a group of older women who were watching me fight the fish and they offered to take a few pics.

Also this wasn't the first striper I had caught at this spot, last summer I had caught one a little bit smaller on a similar tide in July. The one I caught last summer was on a fresh dead grunion and this one was on a large sand crab with eggs. Guess there may be few at this beach. Considered releasing this guy but he had swallowed the hook pretty bad and was bleeding, plus it had been quite a while since I had a fresh fish dinner. Didn't find anything in his stomach when I cut into him but I'm sure he was trying to fill it with grunion. Also he had what looked like an injury or something near its tail fin, when I filleted it you could see its spine was in an S shape. So stoked to be back out on the sand!

unnamed.jpg

• Like Like x 44
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. K-Bo Smack

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,035
    Name:
    Keath
    Outstanding!! It's good to see a better-than-successful session up here in North County. Congratulations on the PB jailbird!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 4
    • List
  3. perch killer

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,023
    Really nice fish. You just never know what might take that sc. Happy for you.

4. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,950
    Now that is cool.. they are out there but you don’t see many caught. Congrats!

5. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,670
    Awesome!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,189
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Beautiful , Mole crabs get them up north . Been a few reports of unknowns on that bait very recently . I think more of them are caught than most believe , they just are not reported openly . Good luck out there . WR

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Chazzman

Chazzman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265
    Nice job! What rod is that? Looks fairly long with a short butt section. Been looking for something like that.

8. TreeCatcher

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,502
    Man that’s insane! What an amazing session! Should of casted around the same area. Stripers sometimes school together. One that big I’m sure it was running in a pack.

#8 TreeCatcher, Jun 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  9. syncopate

Ratings:
    +54
    Thanks man! So true seems like any fish is willing to take a sandcrab when they are plentiful

#9 syncopate, Jun 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  10. syncopate

Ratings:
    +54
    Its a Lamiglas 9'4" steelhead/salmon rod, love it for the surf when I'm fishing bait with fairly light tackle. Pretty solid rod I've had it for about two years now
    HS 94 MS | USA MADE 9'4

11. Saltnewbie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +470
    Name:
    Brad
    Thats a hell of a session. Congrats on the nice Striper.

12. perch killer

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,023
    Looks like sold out. I have a similar looking 9' Ugly Stik which has been disappointing for casting performance. Get about half the distance of my Daiwa 8' even after changing up weights & reels.

13. otay michael

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,013
    Holy moly. Congrats.

14. FOE_RUNNER

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,977
    Awesome catch! Keep em coming!