North County Striper 5/20

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by Egorham, May 28, 2020.

1. Egorham

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +364
    A little late, but better late than never.

Been fishing the surf a lot lately and the fishing has been great for me. Last Wednesday I had to pick up a part at west marine in Oceanside so I threw my rod in the car as well. Hit the beach and found sandcrabs right away, threw ~20 in my pocket and started fishing.

First cast I get picked up and land a nice 18 inch corbina. My biggest of the year so was stoked. The tide was getting higher and higher and the water more chaotic and I went an hour or so more without a bite. Two anglers are working the beach down towards me when I feel a solid bite right as a wave knocks slack into my line. I am super alert as I wait to see if it's still there when I get tight again... I feel the fish again and set the hook.

My rod bends in half and the fish immediately starts ripping drag. I fish a 4lb leader so probably only have 1lb of drag on my reel. He takes me up the beach 40 yards or so. Two waves hit me as I'm focused on fighting the fish and just soak the front of my shirt but I just keep some tension.

At one point I see a significant kelp stringer on my line and think I may never get to see what this thing is. I just wasn't gaining on it. Eventually I decide to tighten the drag two clicks and start getting a little line back.

When it's ~20 feet out I get a glimpse of it and see the vertical stripes running down its sides. "HOLY **** IT'S A STRIPER" I yelled.

The other two fisherman were just watching now.

I get it closer and closer but then am dealing with the waves as well. At one point a wave was sucking back and put so much pressure on my line I thought it was gonna snap. Instinctively I flip my bail open to relieve the tension. The second I felt the line go limp I thought I lost it but luckily it didn't come unhooked. The next wave pushed it up and I was able to reach down and grab it by the lip.

528YTThumbnail.PNG

Went 23" and was just about 5 pounds.

The whole story is in this week's California Fishing News as well as a little more specifics about the spot if anyone's curious.

For what is worth, I've fished the spot for many hours since and haven't hooked another. My dad hooked something BIG on sandcrabs that I was hoping was one but it ended up being a shovelnose.

2. torykian

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +475
    Yeah dawg! I'm still trying. It will happen. Thanks the details.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Smokey

Smokey Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396
    Nice fish and a great write up. Thanks

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +608
    Nice SD striper! ... WTG....

Butch

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  5. perch killer

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,944
    Great catch. Used to get em up in SF area but I'm still 0 for here in So. Cal.

6. Bassnbeans

Bassnbeans Zen Fisherman
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,923
    Smaller than your spotfin.

LOL!

Nice job, man!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. xman

xman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +56
    On 4 lb leader. Nicely done.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Vito1023

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,312
    Congrats, nice surprise, I’ve only caught a few in San Francisco, nice to see some SD STRIPERS yeah oh yeah.

9. cavedog619

cavedog619 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +967
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback
    Nice Striper! On a light setup too. It's been a long time since I've seen one actually landed this far south.