Northern California flyfishing Saltwater adventure

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by Mkellg, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Mkellg

Mkellg Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I’m graduating SDSU in May and I’m looking to take a trip up the coast to fly fish the surf for a few weeks before I get on with real life. I’ve got a few places picked out ( San Onofre, Jalama, Stinson Beach (North of SF)) but am looking for some recommendations. I’ll also be sleeping in back of my truck so if anyone knows of places with great surf fishing and nearby camping I would appreciate any information.

2. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,104
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    I have no fishin advise to share but congratulations and enjoy.

3. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,919
    I understand there is lots of good surf fishing on the state beaches and other beaches from Port Hueneme /Oxnard north including Gaviota and Goleta state beaches. There are other good areas north along highway 1 all the way to Pacifica

I would also suggest posting your question at

http://www.danblanton.com/bulletin.php

There are some anglers who monitor Dan's board who fish the Monterey and Santa Cruz areas.

And maybe schedule a day with Lee Baermann

http://www.flyfishthesurf.com/

Also check out https://www.zenflyfishing.com/

Site hasn’t been updated in a long time I think but the beach info is still relevant

Do check on details of MLPA closures since some of the info on the web predates the definition of the MLPA areas

4. CON KSO

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,178
    I was just up in Montecito (next door to Santa Barbara) this weekend and I fly fished out in front of the place I was staying at Miramar beach - I didn't have any luck but I did get to talk to an older gent who was walk the beach. He'd been fishing Santa Claus Lane in Carpenteria last week and he and his daughter both hooked up on a couple of leopard sharks each right there. I'd heard it was a good spot for leopard sharks and this guys story confirmed it. He said that if you hook one on fly line it will give you a hell of a fight - taking his daughter thirty or so minutes to land a nice one. I didn't have time to get over there to fish it - but on the way back south I stopped and took a peek a the set up - there were two fly fishermen out there working a very obvious gutter and sand bar channel right in the middle of the beach. It looked really fishy - wish I wasn't as hung over as I was, would have been nice to stop and give it a shot.

5. mistercameron

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +503
    I would also recommend trying Padaro Lane, which is just north of Santa Clause beach. When you're done fishing, head over to Padaro Beach Grill for some good food. But like anything surf, nothing is guaranteed :)