Not sure where to post this one guys.

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by RamonaAngler, Jun 26, 2019.

1. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,341
    Boat:
    Yes
    I just saw this on the San Diego City Lakes website. :emoji_cry:

SAN DIEGO – As part of a budget reduction of 3 percent citywide, each of the City of San Diego’s reservoir will be closed an additional weekday each month beginning July 1, 2019. The additional days each month reservoirs will be closed are as follows:•Barrett – Closed the first Wednesday of each month.•El Capitan – Closed the first Friday of each month. Starting in August.•Hodges – Closed the third Wednesday of each month. •Miramar – Closed the first Tuesday of each month.•Murray – Closed the second Tuesday of each month.•Otay, Lower and Upper – Closed the second Wednesday of each month. •San Vicente – Closed the second Friday of each month.•Sutherland – Closed the third Friday of each month

Here's the link...reads better in Chart Format:
    https://www.sandiego.gov/sites/default/files/additional-closure-days-for-reservoirs-190701.pdf

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  2. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,074
    I posted something last week in General fishing and in the Lounge.
    It's sad!!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,341
    Boat:
    Yes
    Yes, very sad. How about we cut the salaries of some of our so called REPRESENTATIVES, instead of closing out lakes for a day...UGH!

4. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,449
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    So stupid I can't see how the city will see any significant savings from this. Even if there is a savings it will go in some city officials pocket. They already have a contract with the vendors that run the lakes, so does that mean the vendors are giving some money back to the city. I'd like to see some transparency.

5. RKMM

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +692
    Name:
    Lori Felchlin
    Boat:
    None
    The vendor question is interesting, I remember working (some, very peripherally) on the contract way back when. I'm know there was something in for emergency closures basically along the lines of we can't control those so you gotta suck them up (unless it was changed). So intentional closure would be a different ballgame.

From what I recall permit fees all went to the city. Although there was talk of working out a 'cut' for them for selling the physical permits as they were not required to and they mainly did it 1-as a courtesy to us and the clients and 2-get people into the concession to maybe buy more as they got their permits. Each month the concession pays to the city a percentage of each lakes sales and I think (my brain is fuzzy on this part) a rental/lease fee?

Staff charges to 2 funds: public duties and non-public duties. On closed days staff will most likely be required to do non public access duties only and thus not charge to the fee (public access) fund and thereby save money. The days they selected are days that do not (typically) break even on staff pay vs fees so that would save some money. However staff are not paid through tax money so they won't save that money.

• Helpful Helpful x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  6. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,449
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    I just love hearing from a factual person such as yourself. Vs a BSer such as myself!! LOL thanks for that answer.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. sherpa

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +906
    clicked on it and it wouldn't come up

8. sherpa

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +906

9. RKMM

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +692
    Name:
    Lori Felchlin
    Boat:
    None
    clicked on it and it wouldn't come up

It comes up as a pdf in a new window if that information helps.

Sidenote: Finally fixed my signature, oops!

10. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,341
    Boat:
    Yes
    Seems to be working for me sherpa It's in .pdf format. So you have to have a .pdf reader on your device.

11. sherpa

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +906
    seems this doesnt effect the skiers much
    The city is still going to let people to use the road around the lake to walk, jog or bike when it is closed to fishing but they have have to park outside the gate. Why can’t we tube or walk the bank

12. RKMM

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +692
    Name:
    Lori Felchlin
    Boat:
    None
    Because of the way time is charged to payroll. They have 2 options: public related (which is what they are trying to cut) and non-public related. At Miramar and Murray a permit check would take 1-2 hours 2-3 times a day. By not permitting fishing the staff will be charging all hours to non-public access duties. I believe the public restrooms (cement building by the concession not the porta potties along the road) will also be closed which will further save from charging to public duties.

People on the lake road recreating on a non-holiday weekday take up (on a 'normal' day) no staff time.

13. sherpa

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +906
    So when do they check permits now. Never been checked

14. RKMM

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +692
    Name:
    Lori Felchlin
    Boat:
    None
    Answering in regards to Miramar and Murray.

Permit checks (least when I was keeper a bit ago) were always random (after all why would we want them on a schedule ?); sometimes I would have staff check first thing in the am right as the sun was going up, sometimes a few hours after. On the PM shift it depended on when the last one on the am shift was done. As a rule we tried to put at least 2 hours between checks to avoid annoying the fishermen. We tried to get 2 checks in per shift in the summer, rarely happened :(

Many times **** happened and permit checks got missed. I had many summer weekend days when we would start a permit check and something would happen (accident on the road, complaint or issue that needed to be addressed ASAP, water leak popping up, snake on the road, etc.) and by the end of the day few to no checks would be done.

Those lakes are staffed....creatively; 4 people to cover 14 shifts, not including a maintenance shift (with the maintenance shift it would be 19); it's slightly better now that we don't have to rent the boats as well as sell the permits. But if a staff member calls in sick or is on vacation that generally leaves one person who has to get the basics done alone (all park trash, all park toilets, any maintenance, etc.) before anything else.

And then back to the way the hours are charged. Each staff title: Reservoir Keeper, Assistant Reservoir Keeper, Lake Aide II and Lake Aide I all have set numbers on how many hours they can charge to public vs non-public duties each day/week. Non-public generally did not have a cap but public most certainly does. If they get caught up with non public stuff (say an accident happens) that really eats up the non public hours.

If however you are there many hours and many days with no checks it might be time to send an email to customercare@sandiego.gov with days and hours and complain as staff missing that many permit checks is not good and the above issues should not mean multiple days with no checks just the random one or two.

15. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,563
    They aren't making enough money off our super cheap license fees plus paying to fish. That's the problem. (eye roll)

16. RKMM

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +692
    Name:
    Lori Felchlin
    Boat:
    None
    The City gets no money from the LICENSE fees and the fishing PERMIT fees charged at the lakes can't be over a certain amount.