Nubs V Karens

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by powaynubs, Jul 10, 2020.

1. powaynubs

powaynubs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +222
    Blacks Beach continues to surprise, quickly becoming my favorite beach. Almost murdered by a crazy homeless person, and now almost murdered by the sheer will of a Karen today.
    Got to Blacks around 7:30, the whole beach was covered in beached kelp, probably hundreds of miles of kelp if you could untangle all of it. At around 8:15 two women walking back from the Mushroom House confronted me. I usually fish closer to the pier because it's less crowded, besides I never keep my catch so I don't mind C&R. Anyways, one walks up to me and asks what I'm going for, the bite had been slow so I told her I was going for anything that would bite. And I saw the fire in her eyes light up, the sentence right after being "you know you can't fish here right? Nobody's allowed to fish this area all the way to Torrey Pines." Confused as I was, I responded "I'm sorry ma'am, but I'm certain that isn't true." And she told me "no no no. I'm the manager of this area, you're in the wrong." I didn't think that there was a CEO of Black's Beach, but I was trying very hard to contain my laughter.
    She asked if I had my license, to which I replied yes, and then she said that I was supposed to take a course on SCMA protected areas to get my license. I didn't even know what to say, the Walmart I went to didn't offer a course, maybe I was supposed to go to the DMV or something. We very casually debated the fishing ground, she insisted that in order for me to fish that area, I would have to be fly fishing. And I don't know about you guys, but I've never seen someone fly fish a beach. I responded by saying that I'm aware it's a protected area, and I didn't plan on keeping my catch. But everytime I said that she got closer and closer to the verge of tears. Eventually she said, "do you want me to call a warden? I'll do it and he'll fine you."
    It was close to sunset, the lifeguards were gone so I couldn't call one over but I was very interested in seeing how a warden would handle her. I agreed to have a warden sort out the situation, and she opened her phone to call someone. The longer the call went on the further she drifted from me, I knew she was getting told off and she didn't want me to hear. She ended the call and started scurrying away, I knew that she was wrong and she was just trying to save face, so I caught up to her to ask what the warden said, and she told me exactly "if you want to talk to me, you have to maintain 6 foot distance." She obviously wanted nothing to do with me, but I wasn't done with her. I was adamant to tell her I meant no disrespect and I just wanted to sort out the situation, if I folded and left when she told me I wasn't allowed to fish there then she would've felt like a God, and I couldn't let future fisherman feel her wrath. Anyways we parted ways, never getting the answer of what the warden said. But when I reached the top of the hill on the climb back up, I saw a familiar face. It was her! She waited at least 20 minutes for me to climb up the hill, and she handed me a brochure telling me that I was in the right, it's like if Jehova's Witnesses were going around handing satanist brochures to people because they didn't read the brochure itself.
    She really wanted to get the last word, she probably felt good about herself after giving me that brochure. I replied by saying "see you later" to which see didn't seem too pleased. I plan on going back, next time I see her we'll see what she has to say to me. Would post photos of her to see if anyone else has seen her patrolling the beach, but I don't want to violate her privacy. I'm inclined to stay respectful to her despite her immediate reaction towards me fishing. In conclusion, Black's Beach continues to surprise, despite the fact that I didn't catch anything, I had a great time and I itch for the next time I head to that beach.

• Like Like x 11
    • Funny Funny x 7
    • List
  2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +48,951
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Oh man... Some people...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. powaynubs

Ratings:
    +222
    worst part is I saw her climb into a UCSD car, meaning she works for the campus. If that's the case then man, the UC Schools might be in trouble...

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +48,951
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Or maybe she is pushing the party line.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. citruspirate

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,192
    Name:
    Michael/Mike
    FYI that area around mushroom house IS an SMCA...it stretches all the way to Ho Chi Minh trail. But anywhere north of the trail is fair game, which includes Black's.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. powaynubs

Ratings:
    +222
    yea yea I'm aware, had to stand my ground just for her. the second she said the entirety of Black's Beach is illegal to fish I couldn't let her get away

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. citruspirate

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,192
    Name:
    Michael/Mike
    Good on you.

Also, I've seen people catch beans fly fishing the surf; pretty neat.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  8. Shawn H

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +823
    If I know im 100% right and within legal bounds, the only remark im making towards her is"call the warden then" and continue fishing. Im not about to waste fishing time on bickering with someone having a mid life crisis

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. powaynubs

Ratings:
    +222
    yessir, still very curious on what the warden said that made her try and scurry off the beach so quickly

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. RolloTomasi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,542
    Name:
    c
    Boat:
    Nice tube and yak
    There used to be some crazy around there who threatened anglers, threw rocks at them, etc. and I think she was threatened by the law. Maybe she’s your girl. (I believe her name started with S.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. powaynubs

Ratings:
    +222
    oh man, never asked her name but she had eyebrows pink like a highlighter if that helps anyone out

12. OPERATOR SPECTRE

OPERATOR SPECTRE Fight fire with lysol
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,082
    Definitely from UCSD....

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  13. HopTag

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +649
    I usually tell that kind of person one time that's legal for me to fish then I walk away and continue my business/fishing. If they approach me again I tell them they will be fined for harassing me and I will do it when the warden arrives. I remind them to learn the law before approaching people, I continue to fish

14. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +906
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,725
    Great write up Nubs.. I could picture this whole scenario going down as I was reading it. You just never know when you’re going to have to deal with some freak show.. and it seems to be happening much more often these days in general.. good on you.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,535
    You are a much better person than I am. I think I would have arrested and cited her for harassment.

I didnt include this in my report yesterday. At the end of my float tube session with my student. I was approached by a "Karen" type woman that had parked next to my truck. I was mildly shouting across the parking spaces and laughing with my student about her "butt hooking" of the Mud Marlin she had caught during our session. My "Karen" walked to the front of her car (I was standing at the back of my truck getting my float tube secured in the bed) and she chimes in with "You didn't keep that fish did you?" First, I was thinking is this your conversation? I looked in her eyes for half-a-second, then turned back to my student without saying a word to her. To her credit, she only muttered words under her breath as she walked away.

I think people are looking for excuses to behave like that - mostly because of the world we are currently being forced to live in. I'm sure all kinds of people from all walks of life, all colors, all religions, all beliefs, all political ends etc are just aching to be able to let off steam - no matter how that steam comes off, be it verbal or physical.

You did great ! I love the contact you had. You were 100% doing everything right. I love that you chased her off simply with your words. I think I may have followed her to the parking lot and taken a pic of her and her license plate, then called DFG and let them contact her - because they would have. Interfering with a fisherman while he/she is legally fishing in a legal location and legal manner is still a crime any way you slice it. Well done !

#16 Creek, Jul 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  17. oldfogey

oldfogey Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,931
    Name:
    Mike
    That's only happened to me once. I basically told "Karen" that the state legislature has passed a law(like Creekster says) making it illegal to interfere in any way with someone fishing legally. Too bad folks like them never learned from their parents the difference between their business and everybody else's.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  18. Bassnbeans

Bassnbeans Zen Fisherman
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,093
    THIS!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,535
    Name:
    Kyle
    It always surprises me how dumb certain people are.. I would never hurt them, but they do realize us fishermen carry knives with us, get the wrong guy...

20. Tmaio123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,870
    Name:
    SD Fishing
    Oh boy pink hair plus know it all attitude:

Goes on twitter saying #notmypresident

Believes fishermen are sacks of sh*t but will say that the riots going on right now are justifiable

Probably identifies as a non-binary, gender neutral, feminist

I think you get the point lol

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List