Nuclear Energy

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Tmaio123, Mar 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tmaio123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,211
    Name:
    SD Fishing
    Renewable Energy is something that is on the rise in America, especially CA. The leftists like AOC believe that if we don’t stop using fossil fuels by 2030, we will all be dead. This women is an absolute moron and yet the liberal media think she’s the greatest thing since sliced bread. There’s not a lot of critical thinking going on with a lot of these pro renewable energy politicians who believe that we need to completely stop using coal and natural gas and start relying nearly 100% on solar and wind. Now, I’m not against renewable energy, in fact, it is definitely the future of energy use in the next few decades, but we cannot snap our fingers and make coal go away and use renewable energy. The world doesn’t work that way. If they want to completely destroy the country’s economy and electrical grid haha. Renewables are not efficient enough YET. For example, solar panels have to cover nearly half of a roof of an average sized home in order to power that house. Is that efficient? I don’t think so. However there is another renewable energy source that is highly efficient, clean, and relatively cheap: nuclear energy. Unfortunately for many the word “nuclear” has a bad connotation because they think of the bomb, Chernobyl, and Fukushima. I was reading an essay from an environmental activist on his pro-nuclear energy stance. In summary, he said that solar and wind is actually more harmful to the environment than nuclear energy. His argument was fantastic and he definitely changed my mind on nuclear energy. Let me know what you think.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,360
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Dunno about renewable, (it is relatively clean though) nuclear is definitely the way to go.. overdue for some newer, safer nuke plants, if you ask me

3. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,961
    Name:
    Larry M
    We have solar, on sunny days we produce more kilowatts then we use. How is that not efficient?

4. Tmaio123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,211
    Name:
    SD Fishing
    Yes Solar is efficient for one household to use from the panels, but our entire electrical grid cannot rely on it. It still relatively new, so it’s efficiency hopefully will increase in the next couple of decades, but nuclear power is better in my opinion.

5. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,961
    Name:
    Larry M
    I don't know if you remember when we had "Brown outs." When power was scarce SDG&E would shut off the power to certain parts of the city and county so that there wouldn't be unscheduled power outages. When more and more people started to install solar we haven't had "brown outs" for over a decade. It's a start.
    Nuclear is clean, it's dealing with the waste is the problem. It doesn't go away.

#5 Larry M, Mar 14, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  6. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,560
    Boat:
    Montauk
    "Nuclear is clean, it's dealing with the waste is the problem. It doesn't go away"

Yep, X2....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,961
    Name:
    Larry M
    Here's my latest report, multiple this by the thousands of people who have installed solar.

Screenshot_2019-03-14-22-19-46-1.png

8. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,360
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Well.. you can take the depleted stuff, make rounds out of it and turn it into the enemies' problem... Hahahaha

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Tmaio123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,211
    Name:
    SD Fishing
    D3CB1ED0-E704-4335-A3C8-97D724149DE0.jpeg

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,961
    Name:
    Larry M
    But would you live next to a nuclear waste storage facility?
    Everything causes waste. Even the building of the canisters, and the building of the storage facilities.
    San Onofre was shut down because of leakage. What if that got into the environment? There were sirens along the coast to warn of a nuclear accident from San Onofre.
    Anywho, it's way pass my bedtime.
    Like your Leo fishing reports.
    PS, can you say 3 Mile Island?

11. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,961
    Name:
    Larry M

Screenshot_2019-03-14-23-09-08-1.png

12. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,360
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Three mile island radiation exposures were measured at less than a two hour flight in a plane, according to what I have read.. dunno how true, sounds right though..

13. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,360
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    According to wiki...

Screenshot_20190314-232258.png

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. Tmaio123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,211
    Name:
    SD Fishing
    We definitely need to be doing more research into nuclear energy. I believe that it’s more efficient than solar. Just need to make it as safe as possible.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,961
    Name:
    Larry M
    Morning all,
    I was referring to a partial nuclear melt down from the 3 Mile Island nuclear power plant as the scary part.
    Now I'm off to get the oil changed in the car and have breakfast. Leaving for Montana next month, yeah.
    Post ya later dude. LOL

Screenshot_2019-03-15-07-24-27-1.png

Screenshot_2019-03-15-07-34-25-1.png

Screenshot_2019-03-15-07-34-37-1.png

Screenshot_2019-03-15-07-34-53-1.png

Screenshot_2019-03-15-07-55-25-1.png

16. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,481
    I'm all for nuclear energy. The US has never lost a reactor to a full meltdown (that I'm aware of. I can and will admit that I'm not exactly an expert on the subject). And I seem to recall reading into a good few incidents which were caused by human error, not issues with the system itself. No inherent pollution, and contained properly, the waste can be securely locked away. Hell, if we can somehow crack a way to safely dispose of radioactive waste into the sun, I'd say it would be an even better source of energy than it already is.
    Nuclear power done right is perfectly safe, and in the long term very cost effective. We have a nuclear powered Navy for a reason, and our public energy sector could learn a thing or two from the Navy on how to effectively and safely run reactors and apply those lessons to reactors used to power the grid. Absolutely nothing we can do will make anything accident proof. To toss away an energy source because of this is really rather a folly.

17. agrazela

agrazela Unstable Subgenius
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,107
    Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    SeaHunt172CC Opti125
    Agreed with that. Wonder how many Musk-X rockets it would take to shoot all the word's spent nuclear waste into the sun each year? I wouldn't worry about any danger to the sun, heck the sun could swallow the entire earth and not even burp. I would kinda worry what could happen if that rocket blew up in the atmosphere...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  18. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,481
    Hence what we would have to suss out. Even one rocket has a glitch and goes boom and it could conceivably destroy the ecosphere. The other fun part would be finding enough/big enough rockets to send everything into space. I wouldn't even want to think about how much waste is just in Yucca Flats alone.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,534
    So, Occasional Cortex (sorry.. Ocasio-Cortez) is already on-record clearly stating that the world as we know it is going to end in 12 years. I understand how the young millennials, teenagers and the people of her district buy into everything this woman says.. they need to.. they've got nothing else to hang onto. They're bitter. they're bored, they're pizzed off at Trump (for being wealthy, I assume).. The leftists really weren't going down this road until she and the other two winners started popping-off with useless, left-field diatribe. But hey, if you're gonna hold a Congressional seat, you gotta talk like you know what you're talking about.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,414
    So. I’m no Nuclear Physicist but the debate here is:

Nuclear Fusion vs Nuclear Fission

Atomic Energy 101

Nuclear Fission = very very bad! Fission = Atomic Bomb, Nuclear Warheads and Current//Old Nuclear Power Plants.

Fission = Splitting Apart as in the old saying , “splitting the atom.”

Fusion is what we are really talking about here which is safer and the reaction is more “controllable.”

It’s cleaner but we are decades away from making it work “commercially” as in the power grid. BUT if we figure it out, this IS a VIABLE and safer option but Fission.....

Sun = Fusion.......very very good!

Just simplifying it for y’all.......

PS - I’m just a Business Major form SDSU - give me a product to sell, I’ll sell it, market it, manage it - Just don’t ask me to explain technically how it works!

#20 geofish, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List