1. Spotted bay bass SDFISH shirts available to order

We're doing another run of the popular Spotted Bay Bass SDFISH shirts, with a couple of additional colors this time. Available on short sleeves, long sleeves, or UPF 50+ rated fishing shirts.

Order Now

Dismiss Notice

NWTF Lake Sutherland Hunt - Successful!

Discussion in 'Hunting & firearms' started by JFF, Apr 10, 2017.

1. JFF

JFF
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +137
    First Turkey! 15 pound Jake! We got these 2 at the end of the day. Barely made it back in time for checkout. After hours of sitting, hiking, sitting some more, hiking some more and stalking a few hens these two found us and locked in on the decoys. It took all day and stalking a few hens to catch a pattern.

We sat in our last spot of the day, feeling discouraged, slipping in and out of sleep and ready to call it a day. The sounds of a hen clucking woke me out of my sleep. I thought it was my partner, who was about 20 yards to the right of me. I look over at him and he seems to be sleep too. So I give the box call a few scrapes and sit back. Never heard any replies. About 30 minutes later I see my partner get up and start to walk in the opposite direction to check things out. Feeling restless from quick naps, smacking bugs and flicking weird worms off of me as I sat posted against a tree for hours. I decided to get up too. Thinking I'll take a quick glance at the area and start packing up. Well... As soon as I got up and look to my left, two jakes are hightailing it over in our direction. My heart started racing. As I start to drop back down, I'm trying to signal to my partner as quietly and as aggressively as possible to sit down too. He at first was confused at my hectic hand movement and "Shhhhttt".

Earlier in the day at a different location I had about 4 coyotes come up from behind. I jumped up and started waving my hand and yelling to scare them off. Doing somewhat of the same jester at my friend I'm sure he thought there were more coyotes coming over.

He finally understood that I meant turkeys are coming in. He dropped down at his tree and we were ready. As they were coming in on my side I tried to signal to him to give a couple of yelps to see if we can draw them in closer. Well before I could finish trying to sign to him, one of the birds let out a loud gobble. I believe he saw the decoys and locked in. Needless to say, I'm signaling back to my partner to not call. I'm the left, my friend is on the right and the decoys are out in front in the middle of us. Those two boys came in with no hesitation. They first came right in front of me heading to the decoy. I was shaking. I had to tell myself to wait to be able to give my friend a shot too. If I shoot too soon, the other bird could getaway. I waited until they both were at the decoys and in range for both of us.

We were too far away to talk to each other. So I wasn't sure when to take the shot. As I'm about to pull the trigger, my partner shoots. It struck both birds. One went down and the other flapped and was about to head out. Then I fire and finish the second bird. Done.

We opted for the row boat. We got lost on the way to our designated area. Trying to decipher what was grass and what was fog coming off the lake had us in the wrong direction. About time we figured it out we were at the dam. Sh*t... Found our marker and started our hunt. After we were done for the day, the wind was howling. And not in our favor. My friend tried to row us out of the cove and we were easily pushed back. We found it easier to walk the boat along the shore as far as we could to get out of the cove and we'd both take an oar each and muscle it in. Made getting some turkeys that much more great.

I also saw a ton of dear. One actually came within 20 yards or so of me. Also saw 4 coyotes. 1 small and 3 huge ones. All in all a great experience.

I'm sure Ieft some details out but I don't want to continue my novel. Very exciting!

IMG_1945.JPG IMG_1963.JPG IMG_5351.JPG

#1 JFF, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017
  2. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,492
    Well that is just plain awesome !

3. bajacamp

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +325
    Yeah that is some nice hunting.......Great report...

4. coloradokid

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +205
    dude...nice

5. surferjohn

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +240
  6. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,481
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Wow, just Wow! And seven deer in one pic!!! Now if the fish in that lake would come to life!

7. Jim Brown

Jim Brown City Lakes Program Manager 1974-2003 (retired)
    Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +311
    Your enjoyment makes me glad we started that one-of-a-kind program with NWTF.

8. JFF

JFF
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +137
    A huge thanks to you and the NWTF team! This was the best hunting experience I had by far!

9. Jim Brown

Jim Brown City Lakes Program Manager 1974-2003 (retired)
    Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +311
    You showed more patience than I have and that earned you and your partner a nice reward, so congratulations.

10. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +653
    What a great hunt!

11. Paul the Great

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +234
    Legit story.

Way to hang in there.

I'm guessing little light green inch worms dropping from the oak trees?