Oakley Iridium lens vs. Polarized lens

Discussion in 'Fishing Tackle' started by Bassin_Rob, May 13, 2012.

1. Bassin_Rob

Bassin_Rob Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Is the Iridium lens used by Oakley as good for seeing into the water while fishing as polarized glasses? The pair i want to get doesnt come with the polarized lens but i was reading and it says the Iridium coating cuts the glare. Anyone know if it works for seeing in the water?

2. fishnplay

fishnplay Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    KVD is wearing Oakleys Need I say More

3. Finadic

Finadic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +5
    They cost more,maybe better?
    your eyes will tell you.
    there are several
    different color lens'for different condtions.
    (ie)overcast / clear

4. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,847
    He I'm sure has polarized lenses though...

I don't have the iridium colored lenses in mine, but I would venture to guess they don't compare to a polarized lens in that regard. If you have them though, why not just go take a look in the water and compare to a polarized pair of glasses?

Here is a link to a Yahoo question/answer from 4 years ago.

<a class="postlink" href="http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080705203248AAO84CK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 248AAO84CK</a>

5. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,506
    Yep, if you're putting that kind of money out you better make sure they are polarized. Unless this Iridium lense is the new ticket?

6. sherpa

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,778
    I have a pair of Oakley Iridium and also the polarized lens, the Iridium are real dark for my eyes and when the light gets low it is hard to see, the polarized are bright and clear at least the lens that I have. I went to a pair of Revos in blue gray and I think they are better that the Oakleys and a lot cheaper. No disrespect to KVD but the pros wear what ever some one will give them or sponsor them with, (my opinion)

7. Bassin_Rob

Bassin_Rob Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks everyone! I was actually shopping around and went to Avalanche and there is a big difference. They have a picture of someone riding a wave but its difficult to see to the naked eye and with the Iridium lens as well but when I tried the polarized glasses on it was crazy how clear as day the picture looked. It was a pretty cool test to see how much the polarized lens actually do for your eyes.

8. gatorfan

gatorfan USN BMC (ret)
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +673
    If any of you guys are in the military (or retired) or DOD I think, and you haven't heard of this program, you are missing out. Oakley has a free program with the military that allows you to buy their products at a huge discount (for personal use only). All you have to do is register with a copy of your ID (and re-register every year to stay eligible).

Ex: I wear Gascan S glasses and get them for $52. I have a pair of polarized lenses on order for them and they were less than $50. I just change the lenses out when they get scratched.

<a class="postlink" href="https://secure.usstandardissue.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://secure.usstandardissue.com/</a>

9. ol dirty basser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +167
    Sounds like one of those little displays in the sunglass section where you can see pictures of fish when you put on polarized glasses, but not without them. Although it's the same principle as when you look into the water, don't expect it to be as dramatic. But yeah, there are times when you absolutely need polarized glasses.

I have a pair of polarized Oakley Antix as well as some Kaenons and love them both.