Ob pier oct. 3-6

Discussion in 'Lobster Fishing' started by JWBee, Oct 7, 2019.

1. JWBee

JWBee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +228
    Went last weekend to start my season off, have done pretty well so far.
    Thursday-got out there at sunset I think, stayed out till about 1am with maybe 1 short
    Fri- first off, last year I only went out on weeknights so I was not prepared for that crowd, I was surprised I was able to find parking! Anyways, went out with the nephew around sunset, pulled up a few shorts and ended the night with one solid legal. Went home around 11 I think

Sat- went out with my oldest nephew around 5pm, had to catch some bait since my freezer was depleted. Set my nephew up with his own report card and hooopnet being that he’s the oldest and the only one who’s really into fishing. This kid out fished the hell out of me. On his first pull he pulls up a legal and like 5 shorts. By the end of the night his total was probably 20 shorts/1 legal to my 3 shorts. And that’s with me having two conical nets to his one flat net. Had me really thinking if I should switch over to flats lol.

Sun-took ALL 3 nephews out for a quick sesh which was kinda rough lol. But at least they had fun lol. Was out there from sunset till about 9. My nephew skunked and I pulled up 1 legal and a few CLOSE shorts, the kind that hurt to throw back. All in one pull too. I’m glad my nephew was there to keep me honest lol. I’m trying to teach him the ways of good conservation, so it was a good teachable moment.

I’m glad it was a productive weekend on the pier, cuz if not it might’ve pushed my inexperienced self on the kayak which is no bueno. Now I have some time to get more comfortable on the new rig before I give that a shot, probably towards the end of the season. Saw WAY too many boats out there for my liking, although the swell was pretty flat.
    Still not sure which hoops are better, I’m kinda liking the idea of the lighter flats for when I do get on the kayak, but I have time to figure it out.

Also am liking the promar pvc bait cages that I got this year. The lid has popped off a few times but I don’t think it’s from a seal because there was still a bunch of bait in the net. I’m guessing it’s from me not putting the cap on all the way and dropping the nets off the side of the pier. I do have a little problem with the small lip on the caps for the promar cages. I think I’ll make some of my own sometime this week because regular pvc caps are much deeper which I hope will remedy that problem. I have a few days to do so, won’t get back out there till Thursday.

Sorry for the long winded post lol. -jack

A39A39CF-E238-447B-B55E-F82E36EC843B.jpeg

2. Pinoyfisher

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +778
    Name:
    Mike
    How was the mackerel fishing?

3. JWBee

JWBee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +228
    It’s been good. It kinda peaked on Friday, but it’s still steady.