Oceanside Harbor Bait Catching.

Discussion in 'Kayak and Paddle Board Fishing' started by Estevan, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Estevan

Estevan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Name:
    EV04
    Hello all,
    I am new here and I was wondering if someone could tell me what the best way to catch bait in the Oceanside harbor. I just got into kayak fishing and don't have much experience kayak fishing, any tips on fishing in harbor would be greatly appreciated.

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,889
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I know there used to be a good rockfish bite off the end of the long jetty at sunset, probably still is, if the calicos haven't taken over, if they have, there could be world record types lurking. Dangerous place to fish, but when the waves aren't ten feet tall, fishing used to be very good there at sunset on an incoming tide. Should be plenty of mackerel around the harbor mouth if it's fishable, I would use pair of number 6 hooks, baited with small mack or squid pieces with a split shot between, let it drift out and away from the kayak anywhere near the harbor entrance.. just ALWAYS keep an eye on conditions, that spot can get scary FAST.. post a report when you go.